Hello from Maryland

Shore thing

My name is Reed and I live just outside of Cambridge on Maryland's eastern shore. I am a retired Cabinetmaker who still enjoys working with my hands. Until recently, I haven't built a model since I was a pre teen. At the time, my incentive was to build a toy that I could play with. They were hastily built with little attention to detail. My models of choice were generally WWII war birds. I would hang them from tree limbs and have mock dog fights between the two sides. Ultimately, the time would come for me to win the battle. A combination of lighter fluid and the built in fire crackers made for a dramatic ending. As luck would have it, I only set the yard on fire once. To this day I can still feel the sting of my mothers favorite spatula. Fast forward 50+ years.....and I still like fireworks. However, I no longer destroy things with them.

In the winter of 2017 I decided to fill some of my new found spare time with a model building project.  I am currently nearing completion of my first wooden boat model. It's a 1/2" scale rendition of a Skipjack. Unfortunately, I didn't discover this web site until a few weeks ago and have been going it alone since beginning the build. After spending time looking at a good many of the members completed models, I realized that I would need to "re do" a few things if I wanted my model to be of the caliber I desire. I will start a build log in the near future (so I can embarrass myself) in order to bring you up to the point I'm at. I'm looking forward to any input you might want to give.

In parting I would like to say how impressed I am with the craftsmanship and skills that are on display here. Beautiful work to say the least.

Reed

Edited by Shore thing

Welcome, Reed! Don't feel too bad about your first model -- all of us (well, most of us probably) have a first model (or models) that we're not too proud of. Don't hesitate to share your work with us.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW and good luck with your build.

Patrick,

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome Reed.  I grew up in Baltimore and love the bay as well as the Eastern shore. I’ve always love the Skipjacks. If you want some more inspiration you can always just get up on 50 and head on to the Naval Academy to see the Rodgers collection there. It really is impressive

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Chris. I am actually relatively pleased with my model. As a Cabinetmaker with 45 years of professional experience and another decade as a young novice, I am quite used to working to close tolerances. As is said, "The devil is in the details". My issues are related to several factors. The first being, working in miniature and the second is working in mediums (in miniature) that I have no experience. Those would be metal, fabric and detailed painting. Another issue I have is that I am my own worst critic. I can't tell you how many times I wouldn't let something out of my shop because I wasn't satisfied with it, even when others could find no fault in it. I always feel that I could have done better. I'm sure that this is a "disease" that is shared by many here on this site. Perfection is a hard goal to achieve and will rarely be attained if one doesn't strive for it.

To my new found mates from down under. Enjoy your summer. As you know, it's winter here. In fact we just got six inches of snow yesterday. Did I mention that I hate winter......No?...... well then,  let me make it official, I HATE winter.

Michael.

Cheers to another Marylander.

I am a life long resident of Maryland. I was born in Bethesda, grew up in Rockville, bought my first house in Gaithersburg and my second in Frederick Co.. From there we moved to our current residence here in Cambridge. I have had the pleasure of visiting the Naval Academy on many occasions and have visited the museum. It's fabulous. My younger brother (Also a Michael) graduated from the academy in 1980. One historical significance of that year was that it was the first year a woman graduated. My brother went on to be an F-14 pilot and flew off the carrier "America". After serving, he got a job as a pilot for Delta and is still flying for them. He will be turning 61 in May and will be forced out at 65.

Once again, thank you all for the welcome.

Reed.

Please excuse me for the following test. I want to see if the method I use for posting pictures will work on this site before I start my build log

The Charles W. Morgan at Mystic seaport.

puz6Xjr.jpg

Welcome aboard from Lower Slower Delaware. We only got 2 inches and I hate winter also.

Edited by Cuda1949

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

Cutty Sark 1:75

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

SIB Pride of Baltimore II

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

9 hours ago, Cuda1949 said:

Welcome aboard from Lower Slower Delaware. We only got 2 inches and I hate winter also.

Thanks. Got a nephew who lives in Selbyville....but I don't hold it against him. LOL After a lifetime of living on the crazy side of the bridge, the wife and I are really enjoying the slower pace here on the Delmarva.