Old Ironsides: Eagle of the Sea: The Story of the USS Constitution by David Fitz-Enz

My first foray back to modeling was with the 1/96 scale USS Constitution by Revell. While I have moved to wooden models now I enjoyed this build and learned much from it. It also interested me in learning more about the ship. I grew up just north of Boston and visited the Constitution many times during school field trips but never really got into the history. This book does a nice job of setting the stage of how and why the Constitution and it’s sister ships, the President and United States came to be built by the Congress, it’s role in the War of 1812. The three major engagements the Constitution went fought during this conflict are reviewed as well. The book also details many of the non war missions the Constitution was sent on as well as the several efforts of citizens to fund and save it from destruction. If this topic interests you I recommend it. 

62075376-F029-4B3A-8ABF-99DE5F649612.jpeg