Cutty Sark by SteveColes - Artesania Latina - Scale 1/84

FYI  Context      Who Am I

Goals For Me. Since this is my first Model in 20 years, I want to finish it.  I want it to be more of a display piece rather than anything else. Accuracy may take a back seat to display.  An example would be that this ship was coppered.  But  I would rather it show the wooden hull if i can do it so that is good looking.  However, please tell me if i do things are wrong. No matter what, I want my failures in accuracy or anything else to be choices that I consciously make rather that stupidity or ignorance.

So please give me as much criticism as you have time for.

Jan 8, 2019 - First picture. False keel mounted onto holder with frames dry fitted.IMG_0027.thumb.jpeg.c234d0c8d4ea246691e63ab9fcbfec1a.jpeg

Jan 20,2019

Using CA thin and/or med. The frames and forward false deck are tacked in place

IMG_0030.thumb.jpeg.f41c718e33f8229d1d26cdc36f03d893.jpeg

I had tried to fit and tack the stern false deck but discovered that I had misaligned the stern filler blocks (parts marked 18 in picture)🤮  Had to remove the partially tacked stern false deck and the filler blocks. Out came the CA dissolver, several different razor saws, and a good small sharp Paring chisel😂

IMG_0033.thumb.jpeg.e9bf0c0047b120a3b15d5c2e3ecd410f.jpeg

Put the filler blocks back about 1/8" lower. Tacked the stern deck into place and filled the gaps caused by the fixes. Sometimes moving a CA tacked piece causes some destruction.🤪

IMG_0034.jpeg

Edited by SteveColes

hi i look forward to following your project - cutty artesania is a very exciting and high quality building set. I myself built it 6-7 years ago and took 2-3 years to build so when you get there then do not give up but recognize that it may take years to build. I want to follow your construction and if I can be helpful I will be there. just ask.P1010001.thumb.JPG.36e56187a986276f9cb5e9f36797bfd9.JPG

Cheers Jens

14 hours ago, samson said:

hi i look forward to following your project - cutty artesania is a very exciting and high quality building set. I myself built it 6-7 years ago and took 2-3 years to build so when you get there then do not give up but recognize that it may take years to build. I want to follow your construction and if I can be helpful I will be there. just ask.

Cheers Jens

Thank you very much, i would most appreciate any help.

Reading the directions and some of the posts about decking and hulI planking, I got very confused. So the last few days, I stopped building and did a lot of reading in the forums here. Now I think I've gotten the terminology straightened out in my head, I will be building again.

I am definitely going to pull up a seat to watch your build. I have heard all sorts of good things about this version of the CS, and hope to accomplish this some time in the future.  Happy building!  😃

~john

Ok, back to work. life interfered. So I just went back and did a more permanent glue up on bulkheads and false decks. Also did more filling on stern and false aft deck. the pink stuff is a spackling compound will turn white when dry. the brown is Timbermate filler. Using spackling as a filler is something I read qbout here and I wanted to try it. So far, so good. Timbermate is something I used many times. I used it on the stern because i was not sure that spackling would work when  being shaped.  So now I have to wait for drying.

Its a great project you got there. The scale is small and so with very interesting. Its the scale I like because it doesnt need much space for display.

I visited CS two years ago. Great ship!

Wish a lot of fan Steve... am going to watch your interesting work.

Christos🇨🇾 

17 hours ago, keelhauled said:

Great start!  I look forward to following the build

best

marc

"Ditto!!"

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

To those who are following this, my apoiogies. i have not quit on the model; i just haven' gotten much done.   It  gotten very slow.  the biggest problem has been getting past the mistakes, i mentioned in my last post. But i think i knowhow to fix them. Now i must actually perform them.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:05 AM, MESSIS said:

Maybe you try to work with balsa wood and shape it with some sandpaper.

Messis, thank you, but I'm not very good at shaping, so that would only make things worse for me. So i went back to the framework of the stern. And then i rebuilt it.  the result was much better, but not quite right.  I realized  that i must do the shaping of the bulkheads, the bow, etc. That way i can shape the hull as a whole rather than piece meal. that way will work for me the best.

For those who are following this, my apoiogies. i have not quit on the model; i just haven' gotten much done.   It  gotten very slow.  the biggest problem has been getting past the mistakes, i mentioned in my last post. But i think i knowhow to fix them. Now i must actually perform them.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:05 AM, MESSIS said:

Maybe you try to work with balsa wood and shape it with some sandpaper.

Messis, thank you, but I'm not very good at shaping, so that would only make things worse for me. So i went back to the framework of the stern. And then i rebuilt it.  the result was much better, but not quite right.  I realized  that i must do the shaping of the bulkheads, the bow, etc. That way i can shape the hull as a whole rather than piece meal. that way will work for me the best.

F8F60F6E-0CBF-4326-B5D9-53E51FCC2DFD.thumb.jpeg.4de4cbdc4ef20bb0d3e01042fa045df1.jpeg3BE87E96-B420-4573-B09B-BB260C24BA69.thumb.jpeg.b9a75c3779527c0e7e2ce55d05104f14.jpeg

Well the thing that has been holding me up has been the shape of stern.  The kit supplies parts that make up filler blocks for the stern. But there are no instructions or photos that show the shape in 3 dimensions. So I figured I could intuit the proper shape from my past experience. Well I was wrong🤬.  

Anyway I think I have it pretty close now.🙏. But in researching something else, I found this Article . Very helpful?

I know how to create the appearance of  trenails and/or bungs and caulking.  But my question is should I? The scale of this model is so small. I wonder if one could even see these details if done to scale? The  few pictures I have of the Cutty Sark decking, I really don’t see these details.?

Comments please

13 hours ago, samson said:

I have also omitted this detail for the same reason - a skilled shipmaker does everything to avoid seeing these wood plugs in the deck so that they hardly are seen in real size so it seems extra grotesque to highlight them in scale 1:84
Of course it is only my opinion.

Jens.

What about caulking lines.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there, and keep good work

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

1 hour ago, Katsumoto said:

So, what do you prefer? 

Let that choice be leading. I personally like them without. 

Peter

Well, from everything I’ve seen, I think I prefer just barely visible. From the scale, I think a bung hole would be about 1/32 in or 0.75 mm. I bought a draw plate and some 1/16 dowels and now I have draw them down to 1/32.😱 

Also, there should only be 1 hole across instead of two and it should be 4 step deck instead of two. 

Edited by SteveColes
Left off a sentence