Keeling and Clayton Mustang Funny Car by jct - FINISHED - 1/24 - used to be Lew Arrington's Brutus Funny car

jct

Congratulations on a challenge well met.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well done, jct.  An interesting linage for that beast (in the model sense).   One can almost smell the nitro....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

it was like pull'in teeth......but you did it  :)   I had no doubt that you'd win over the decals and paint.    your even the first one done...........beat me by a couple of hoses :blink:   oh well.......I'm just glad you finished and had fun doing it ;)    super looking model!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

glad you decided to jump in ;)     seeing your accomplishment here.........you got me fiddling with mine. :blink:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

J,

Nice build. Umm, where do the canons go? And what are you using as a rigging plan?

I was at the Winter Nationals in Pamona earlier this month. There was a battery operated wind up toy on the track as a demo. did a 9 second 1/4 mile. The speed was impressive but there is just something wrong with no Rumbly-Rumbly-VROOM! When they did there burnouts it sounded like a bicycle on wet pavement.

Mark that must have been great being right there. Our seats were great for watching the races but not so great for photography. the only 3/4 frontal shots were full of people. Ahh well a good time was had regardless.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Thanks Sam...well the rigging is all under the body...canons may have proved to be a nice intimidating factor,  was always a good time at the strip...hate to think about how long it's been since I visited one

we have New England dragway in our neck of the woods...........still in operation after all these years.   pretty young the last time I went there......I watch 'em on the TV.   a lot safer on the ears  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Totally agree on the ears.  Even though I wore the "Mickey Mouse" style of ear protection in the Marines and at the drag strip, I do have hearing loss from it.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just now, mtaylor said:

Totally agree on the ears.  Even though I wore the "Mickey Mouse" style of ear protection in the Marines and at the drag strip, I do have hearing loss from it.   

high frequency loss here...from working  tach jets in the Navy

Same here. carpentry tools, loud music.  When I was shooting trap and skeet there was a guy who made custom ear plugs. He would swab your ear canal with a mold release and inject silicone in partway. once it solidified - about 5 minutes he pulled it out and you had the most comfortable ear plugs ever. I dont know what the DB rating was but they were far better than anything I owned at the time. Wish I had them when I was younger, probably wouldn't have worn them though. You only appreciate what you had when you loose it.

Sam

Helicopters, loud cars. years and years of way too many guns, with and without protection. Our flight helmets in the military left a lot to be desired. the net result is that today my wife yells at me a lot, (Well I must admit that may be for other reasons) and I am hoping for a set of these for my birthday: https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Transmitter-Rechargeable-Connecting-HeroFiber/dp/B07KY651ND/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

Getting tired of having the TV turned up to 100% to share movies with the rest of the family, I suspect they are as well.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou,

Those look like a great idea. Not so much for me but Better Half - although she does comment on how poor my hearing is. She likes to sit on the sofa with an adult beverage and watch TV, I dont care for most of the shows she watches so I will read. For me, I cant read in the same room whith the tv on, too distracting. She could wear them and I could sit in the same room to read.

Sam

Jet noise, shooting, rock and roll and who knows what else. My hearing is OK up to midrange , then does a nose dive at high freqs.  I now use rechargeable hearing aids. Although in a crowded noisy area, they aren't much help. Ears are omni directional. Cupping my ears helps, but now I look like the old geezer with the tin horn in his ear.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Same here, but for the aids...humorous tale...the firm I worked for offered yearly hearing tests free of charge, so out of curiosity I decided to participate .  

So I’m in the little booth pushing the button when I hear the tones when the door opens and the tech says ” Oh...Okay, we hadn’t got a response in so long we thought you may be having some kind of emergency “...never bothered with a hearing test after that😁

Edited by jct

3 hours ago, src said:

I dont care for most of the shows she watches

I think that fits me to a "T", except I think I would have to change it to virtually ALL of the stuff she watches. Luckily I can pretty much tune most of it out out most of the time, That is the one thing that the earphones seem to be missing. It would be nice if I could select what I wanted to listen to while she was watching/listening to something else. But they will still allow me to share without blasting everyone else out of the room while allowing me to hear the details of the show the I now miss even with the sound turned  way up.

I had forgotten about restaurants and loud places Ken.

In those kinds of environments I just sit in the corner and watch everyone. Everything that is said by anyone not sitting right next to me is just part of the background jumble of noise. Next week we will be having an extended dinner out at the Keg restaurant for my wife's birthday. For me it will pretty much be a sit and watch occasion as normally even that restaurant has enough background noise that people at the other end of the table are mostly just part of the background for me. Maybe I should just give up and learn to lip read. Oh, I forgot, I don't see as well as I would like anymore either!   

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Most TV shows are a great big candy-like red button just waiting to be pushed for me. Better Half LOVES those CSI shows. You know the ones, where the characters are all hot; the women with low cut tops (not that I mind looking at that) and the guys are ripply muscles in tight clothes (Better Half gets eye candy too!) Hot guy/girl walks in glances at a 1/2" diameter hole and with no other information says "Looks like a Glock, 9mm. Or a tire track and "Chevy Silverado, no passenger." I have to get up and walk out before my IQ gets sucked further into negative digits.

Sam

you know your sucked into it Sam........when you notice something that they missed :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: