Celebrating the EMMA C. BERRY by Lawrence Jacobsen

This book was recently referred to me because of my build of the Modelshipways kit many years ago.  It is a tribute to those who helped her reach her 150th birthday.  It's a great supplement for anyone who chooses to build the kit.  There are wonderful stories from her past, seemingly well documented.  Lots of photos, almost all with her schooner-rigged.  In one of the many restorations in her history, it was pointed out that in 1966, she was the oldest functioning working boat in America.  What surprised me are comments that the original Noank fishing fleet was painted green and Emma fell into that category.  Slade Dale, one of the former owners was reportedly upset at her topsides being painted black in preparation for her centennial cruise in July, 1966 since "Emma having always been dark green".  It was the only time a merchant vessel had returned to the shipyard of her building a century after her launching.  Still the loving restoration that Mystic undertook between 1969 and 1971 resulted in her being painted her black.  Additional reading suggestion is "Restoration of the Smack Emma C. Berry..." by Willits Ansel.

Maury