Greetings from Snowy Ottawa

Thanks for accepting my membership.   100% newbie to the hobby and completely in the research phase.  Reading, reading and more reading.  One to make sure this is something I want to get into and two, cause it's cool!   🙂

I suffer badly from the winter blah's (near 25 cm's of snow fell today alone) and I spend way too much time playing computer games.   I am also close to retirement so looking for things to occupy my mind and hands.   I have always had a love of ships having grown up on the east coast of Canada, surrounded by fishing villages and living in Bermuda for several years and visiting several times per year has me exposed to sailing vessels.   Even attended the America's Cup 2 years ago.

My other hobbies are Amateur Radio and Photography ( https://canadianloon.wordpress.com ), so if I build it will be well photographed 🙂

That it from this end, will be lurking, asking questions and looking at all the wonderful builds.

Cheers.

Scott

Edited by Scott Crouse

Gidday Scott and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I envy your cold weather.Forecast of 44 Celsius here tomorrow. 

It is a good idea to read, read, read as you say.

Check some build logs to see what era and type of ship appeals.

You will also gain some understanding of the processes and pitfalls involved.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

There is plenty of support and encouragement on this site.

Wishing you all the best.

Mark.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome Scott from another Scott.   Way down here in southern Ontario we only got 5cm of snow but made up for it in freezing rain.  This is a great group of supportive folks - definitely lots of inspiration.  

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

Thanks everyone!   To the guys from down under, I just spend 3 great weeks in your country back in Oct/Nov and had a great time.   Not sure if I want your +40c but my -40c is the other end of the scale.

To my fellow Canadians, I know you feel the pain 🙂

Look forward to seeing everyone's builds and conversations.

Cheers and thanks for the welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

As a Minnesotan I get the seasonal blahs. I switched to led daylight lamps which really help me. If you look for a kit try a manufacturer like Model Shipways which will replace parts free if properly documented. They also have instructions online for you to examine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Scott, I'm in Ottawa too!  Well, actually Val-des-Monts, but close.  We should get together sometime.  If you're looking for a suitable project, check out my build in this thread.  I've gone a little beyond what the original simpler plans called for, but it's an easily do-able ship.

• 2 weeks later...