This is brilliant.  I wish my OLD band saw could handle the stress of logs.  One of my many life regrets is not buying a portable milling machine for my property to mill all the downed cherry, maple, poplar, and locust.   

Maybe I should do this...

Edited by Deperdussin1910

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Thank you, Kevin, I was about to start looking for advice on quartersawing and here it is!

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

That "Little Ripper" bandsaw milling attachment sure looks to be the ticket, Kevin! I checked it out and it's very impressive. I have no idea how that guy gets such perfectly straight cuts without any blade drift using that attachment, but seeing is believing.  Good timing on your post, too. I had a tree come down in a storm last weekend and bucked it up in two foot sections for possible use as modeling wood. It is liquidamber, a very white hardwood, which also occurs with significant figuring when subject to fungal infection. They say it tends to twist when drying, but it's valued as furniture and veneer wood. It's also called "blond walnut" and "sweet gum." This tree had a rot pocket in the trunk and it snapped clean off, but that decay was localized. It was about a foot in diameter and I got about ten feet of pretty much knot-free trunk and a bunch of branches that should be good for compass timber if I can dry the stuff without it turning into a pretzel. I figure it will be fun to play with. If it isn't worth the effort, it will always work in the fireplace next winter!

So in the first video, the central planks are quarter saw, and the rest just flat saw cut in the middle?