I thought I knew

Froggyman

Hello form Georgia USA, 

I have built 4 models, all 40 years ago, I simply went by the scarce instructions from the kits and visual aids from photos.

I now would like to build a ship feeling better about what I am doing, so, I would like to have some recommendations as to what books would help me understand the parts of a ship, i,e, "lintels",  knees, cheeks , etc, the proper planking methods and rigging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Froggyman

Froggy,

One of the best (and cheapest!) things you can do, in all seriousness, is head to your local library and look for ship modeling books. Back in my starting-out days, I was pleasantly surprised by what they had on the shelves. And the staff could easily get other books through their inter-library loan system. Read all you can get your hands on. As primers, look for Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini and Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfeld. Neither of these books should be considered completely authoritative on all matters ship modeling, but they are easy reads, profusely illustrated, and relatively widely available. They'll get your appetite whetted.

Cheers from your neighbor up the I-85 corridor!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Gidday Froggyman and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I have found "The Country Life Book of Nautical Terms Under Sail" very good at explaining nautical terminology.

I also recommend the Frank Mastini book for a basic look at modelling.

These are only my opinions.

Wishing you all the best with your build and research.

Mark.

Gentlemen:

To Chris, Mark and shihawk, Thank you so much for responding to my plea, I found the book and have it on order.

Maybe with it's help, I can now have a better idea about what I am trying to do.

I am loving every second I spend in my " Small but cozy shipyard " being retired, I now can spend most of my time enjoying the process .

Thank you again.

Froggyman

Welcome aboard Froggyman.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

When you're ready, Froggyman, open a build log.  It's the best way to get help and encouragement. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I’m on my third copy of “Historic Ship Models” by Zu Monfeld.  For me, it is an indispensable reference tool when I need quick answers.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Gentlemen:

I would like to express my gratitude to all that responded to my request for help, I have received today a copy of Frank Mastini's book Ship Modeling Simplified, and after perusing it,  I feel confident that hence forth I will be better prepared to complete my current project ( Corel's Berlin ), and my waiting in the wings Model Shipways FSV ESSEX.

As soon as I can figure out how to start a " Build Log " I will share my mistake plagued build of the Berlin and my future build as well.

Froggyman1190433436_MyBerlin.thumb.jpg.d30570a8e8a1fd9b138e5505666297de.jpg

ship modeling.jpg

Careful with that whiskey Froggyman, cause you know too much of it mixed with sharp utensils often leads to visits to the ER.  On the other hand it can smooth out the rough spots in your builds. ;)  Personally, I prefer a nice cold bottle of Big Wave Ale from Kona Brewing Company,  lets me wet my whistle while I work and I can still see straight. 

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

WOW, I was hoping for some help, but you my friend provided a college course in maritime terminology, If I ever graduate I will surely owe it to the vast information you provided!!!

Seriously, thank you so much, I appreciate your kind referral, as well as the many that I have previously received, what a fine group of people you are.

Froggyman

On 1/27/2019 at 6:22 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

Careful with that whiskey Froggyman, cause you know too much of it mixed with sharp utensils often leads to visits to the ER.  On the other hand it can smooth out the rough spots in your builds. ;)  Personally, I prefer a nice cold bottle of Big Wave Ale from Kona Brewing Company,  lets me wet my whistle while I work and I can still see straight. 

Dave,

When I was a recent newborn, I kept my parents awake at night, my father solved the problem by placing his finger on my lips after dipping it in Bushmills, I have that bottle quite visible because I consider it an incentive, that is to say, after I have completed my work for the evening ( rather in the wee hours of the morning ), I sit back, relax and allow myself a small amount in my fathers memory. When I work I consume large quantities of ice cold water, a trick to keep me from sitting too long without a break...

17 hours ago, Backer said:

Thanks Patrick!

Brilliant and concise! Thanks for finding and posting it, much appreciated. You don't happen to have another little gem like this that covers rigging by any chance? 🤔

1 hour ago, Katoom said:

Thanks Patrick!

Brilliant and concise! Thanks for finding and posting it, much appreciated. You don't happen to have another little gem like this that covers rigging by any chance? 🤔

Maybe. But it will take me some time to find this.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

When I started ship modeling I found this little book from Model Shipways invaluable. Some amazon sellers have it for about $6. Some sellers think it is a rare out of print collectible and are asking hundreds of $$.

The Neophyte Shipmodeller's Jackstay (Paperback) 

by George F. Campbell (Author)

A few more links:  

http://southseas.nla.gov.au/refs/falc/contents.html

https://maritime.org/doc/steel/index.htm

and then there's this one so pack a lunch and beverage of choice... just about all links on everything nautical:

http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 1/29/2019 at 9:46 AM, mtaylor said:

This one has a search function built in which is nice but seems to be missing many common structural elements. Perhaps it is focused on the terms one would use in operating a sailing vessel?

Now this one is a bit special, a searchable Steel!!  However, to search it you need to use an external search engine (Google, DuckDuckGo, etc..) with a search phrase something like:

site:maritime.org/doc/steel stiving

Then use your browser search function to find the term in the resulting page. Pretty OK!

But still, that it is pretty awesome that they have scanned Steel and used OCR to convert the text rather than just saving the images. Old hat to many of you but it still makes this one happy.

and then there's this one so pack a lunch and beverage of choice... just about all links on everything nautical:

http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html

And good grief I have no idea how to use this monster! 😂   

Thanks again Patrick!

Found it. 

Titel : From keel to truck. (In English, French and German).

https://ia600504.us.archive.org/22/items/bub_gb_pT4IAAAAQAAJ/bub_gb_pT4IAAAAQAAJ.pdf

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2019 at 12:54 PM, vossy said:

The Mastini book is gold! If you can get it do so.

Cheers

Chris

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but it is available on Google play books to read free along with

various other rigging, mast making, ship building books.

Hooroo Chris

Edited by Cabbie