Hello! Question About Rehoming a Ship

Charlie B

Greetings!

I'll try to be brief. I know nothing about model ships. I inherited an old (and dilapidated) model ship from my grandmother's home about 10 years ago, and long story short I've decided it needs a new and better home. This seems a good group to connect with about it.

Is this a good place to look for a new owner? I would like to give the ship to someone who will restore and enjoy it - I have no idea how old it is or even what type of ship it is, but I know that it sitting in a box in my attic is a shame. 

I welcome any advice. If this post is inappropriate in any way, please remove it with my apologies!

Charlie

DSCF0088.JPG

Edited by Charlie B

Hello, Charlie.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think you will have some trouble in re-homing your model. It appears to be a nautical decor model, a type of mass-produced and inexpensively built model that is not a true scale rendering of its purported subject. In this instance, based on the figurehead, it looks like you have an attempt at portraying the clipper Cutty Sark, but the model is not a good likeness and is in a considerable state of disrepair.

Your options for dealing with a model like this one are limited. It has little value for model builders or serious collectors of nautical artifacts. This means that it's unlikely that you'll find someone willing to invest the time needed to restore the model. Perhaps you have another family member who might appreciate it?

Wish I had better news for you.

Chris

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Charlie, thanky oufor bringing this up foro discussion.  Only last month I completed a full restoration of a 3 masted full rigged ship (estimated scale 1:55) - hull length 1 metre - it was a very profound  experience for I was restoring this ship that had been built by my uncle then aged 11 years old in 1899 (repeat 1899).  And I have sailed it on the sea!  My point is that - agreeing with the suggestion of Bob Cleek - it may well excite a young person to have a crack at restoring this model.  Such a lot would be learned in the process.  Good luck - it may turn out to be a real prize ship.

Paul

All this advice is so honest, thoughtful and quick - I appreciate it all!

Chris, thank you for your assessment - please know I harbored no visions of grandeur, so there's zero disappointment on my end. Definitely good stuff to know.

Bob, that my 9-year-old kids might like to have a crack at it is a wonderful idea. Maybe a fun winter family project... we can all learn something new.

Many thanks for your expertise and for taking the time to respond to my post. 

If something comes of it, I'll be sure to post an update!

All the best!

Charlie

52 minutes ago, Charlie B said:

If something comes of it, I'll be sure to post an update!

Please do! I'll bet your kids would love that... if you can pull them away from their video games !  If you do undertake a restoration (she's an heirloom, after all,) feel free to ask questions here.  Like the government, "we're here to help." :D