20190131_161012.thumb.jpg.1034c53ec3fb1b3b3107293e75a8b681.jpg

Normally on most models and plans I have seen there are four seats of ease on the head, the two rear ones are not shown in the AOTS Diana only the front two which I have yet to fit but you can just see the holes above, the rear ones behind the false rail when measuring out would sit right underneath the two chase ports that have been added into the plans I am working from, would these have been omitted due to the closeness of the guns above or still fitted but presumably not used when the guns were in use??

Any suggestions or information ?

Thanks

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Paul

I may be way off base here, but I don't think there are supposed to be gun ports cut into the bulkhead for the chase guns.   Photos of Artois class ships, including Diana, at the NMM Collections site do not have ports for these guns.   The photo below is from NMM for Diana  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66533.html

Allan

2134886030_Diana1794.thumb.jpg.0308e58b7e63ef3a7acdcd0561f95aaf.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

You are correct, however the plans for the sirius have them drawn in in red and annotations on the side for the builder to add them also raising the waist gangways to the same level as the quarterdeck and forecastle so all at the same height and continuous, the extra gun ports at the front are shown on the profile inboard and out board as well as the forecastle deck plan, whether they were actually added to the ship I don't know as I don't have as built plans, but I have added them

All three models of the Diana at the NMM don't show them and Ed  T didn't put them on his hms naiad which was built at the same time

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

On one model you can see the seats of ease though at the back, interestingly the front pair are closer to the centre by the bowsprit which is a different position to what's shown in the AOTS Diana

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I can't tell from this angle, but if a gun were set there wouldn't the barrel need to be elevated a fair amount for the gun to clear everything forward of it?   Even so, ports like that probably wouldn't have had guns permanently installed there but the forward most would be moved.  It's a pretty tight fit up there as it is without adding guns.  In many ways, it's like the stern chase ports on some ships.  Not filled normally.

As for the seats of ease in use when firing the guns... nope.   If it's in the middle of battle or a chase, the men would have been at their stations.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks mark, you are probably right they would have to be elevated somewhat, im going to try and fit the rear seats to see how they look

Thanks Allen @allanyed sorry I probably wasn't very clear when I started the thread, im building the Sirius but use the AOTs Diana book for a lot of the things missing from my plans and Ed ts naiad log 

Thanks

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁