BANYAN

Passing of Karl Heinz Marquardt

It is with some considerable sadness I relay the news that Karl Heinz Marquardt, whom many of us will have heard of with his interests in Maritime History, as a Marine Artist, Author and model maker and restorer, passed away late yesterday (Thursday, 31 January).  Karl was 92 and lived a long and fruitful life, but despite giving it a 'good fight' cancer won the battle in the long run.  

I shall miss his friendship and our regular discussions on things nautical.  My condolences to his wife Sonja and his family.

Farewell my friend, may gentle winds and calms seas smooth your travel.

regards

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Sad to hear. I never was in personal contact with him, in spite of the fact that much of our work overlapped. I did not always agree with some of his viewpoints, but just like the loss of Jean Boudriot, it is more than obvious that we lost a great name in ship modeling. Let's be grateful for his useful publications.

Ab

Karl certainly added to the literature available to us today. He lives on in his books. My sincere condolences to you, Pat,  as well as his family.

Thankyou one and all for your condolences; I will pass these onto the family and I am sure they will be very proud to hear that he is remembered by many.

regards

Pat 

A German colleague, Kay Wunder, has been running a Web-site on the behalf of Karl-Heinz Marquardt over the last few years: www.karl-heinz-marquardt.com. There you can find a CV written by himself and other material, including an account of the above restoration undertaking.

Edited by wefalck

Hello all,

Karl's family have asked me to pass on their heartfelt thanks for all of the kind thoughts and condolences.  While missing him very much they take much comfort in knowing he is remembered by many.

regards

Pat