Lively of Baltimore 1813 by Jeffb - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1/48 - first complete wooden model ship build

Hello everyone,

This will be my first complete build of a wooden ship model kit; the Lively of Baltimore 1813.  It is a 1/48 scale kit by the Lumberyard.  I am calling it my first complete build because I started building the Artesenia Latina kit for the Bluenose II in 1/75 scale a number of years ago.  The partially completed hull is now put away.  I hope to either return to it or start over again one day when I have some more experience in wooden ship model building.

I chose this kit because it had a favorable review in "Ships in Scale" magazine which was followed with a build practicum series by Kurt Van Dahm.

As this is my first post for the build I will keep it brief.  Here is a photo of the box:

IMG_2078.jpg

Edited by Jeffb

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models

I started this build before I joined the forum, and unfortunately, did not take any photos to post.  The following photos are current to where I have progressed thus far.

I have encountered a problem at the stern and transom that you can see in the last photo.  You can also see my solution to it.

I am currently attaching the caprails and will have photos in my next post.

I would appreciate any comments to the build so far.

Jeff Betcher

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models

Here are photos of the cap rail tacked to the gunwhales.

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

I have been reading on the proper way to plank the hull and am about to start.  Before I start, should I do the transom first or does it matter?  The other question I have regards the shape of the stern blocks.  As far as I can tell from the plans and the practicum I am following, this is the correct shape.  It looks right to me.  Can anyone confirm this?

Much appreciated,

Jeff

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your request.  I work in health care so I have been busy with that since March.  I have made some slow progress but I'm not yet finished with the model.  I can share the plans with you when I am finished.  How can I help you in the meantime?

Jeff

P.S.  I am about to post some update photos so you can see my progress.

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Hello everyone,

I haven't been very active in posting my progress.  It has been slower than I had hoped but I have made some headway.

IMG_2557.thumb.JPG.cd41e2cdfd4270a1eda61be67d926b8f.JPG

The deck fittings are just sitting on the deck.

IMG_2556.thumb.JPG.2c6edc4bbe46a171bca0f711b33fbf9b.JPG

I am currently working on the ordinance.

IMG_2561.thumb.JPG.ffb820667d09916c171610e812d966c5.JPG

It's been quite a learning process.  Thank you to those who are sharing their builds and techniques.  I doubt I would have gotten this far without.

Stay safe.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Thanks, Greg.

I appreciate your encouraging words.  It's my first wooden ship build of this kind and I find it challenging with many new techniques.  Having said that, I am enjoying it.  I'll try to post more often.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.  Except for the bit holding the cannon on the carriage, I have finished the canon and am on to the rigging of the cannon.  Unfortunately, the instructions for the kit don't elaborate much on the rigging of armament and I have to rely on other sources for reference.  It is not yet mounted to the deck, I suspect the rigging will be easier before I make it permanent.

IMG_2576.JPG

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

• 1 month later...

I have managed to get the cannon mounted and the rigging in place.  Any constructive comments are welcome.

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

Edited by Jeffb

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

I have always thought this was a wonderful looking model and you're doing a great job on it, Jeff.

Thank you also for your health care work. These are incredibly difficult times for all health care workers who accept the risk of their professions while being dedicated to caring for others.  Hopefully, we'll put these terribly sad days behind us in the near future.

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

That's nice work so far Jeff; I really like the color scheme you've used.

I love those Baltimore clippers! I might even have to consider this for a future build. Nothing says I have to kill myself with increasing complexity on every subsequent build. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thank you, gentleman.

Bob, I find my time in the workshop a much needed reprieve from the reality of the pandemic.

The gun is now permanently fixed to the deck.  I have another bump on the road with the pumps.  The pumps in the kit are metal castings that don't fit with the rest of the model.  I will try to scratchbuild better pumps.

Stay safe

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

I totally agree with your decision to scratch build those pump. They will look much better than those metal ones. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted an update.  I have made some progress.  I scratchbuilt the pumps.  They may not be entirely accurate but they are a lot better than those supplied in the kit.  I have also completed the deck fixtures.

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Jeff,

Nice work! I had missed this build in the past. We are both working on similar ships. I am currently designing the rigging and sails for the ship.

I am curious, how long is the model (hull)? Do the plans give dimensions for the actual ship?

20 hours ago, Dr PR said:

Jeff,

Nice work! I had missed this build in the past. We are both working on similar ships. I am currently designing the rigging and sails for the ship.

I am curious, how long is the model (hull)? Do the plans give dimensions for the actual ship?

Thank you, Phil.

I've just had a look at your build and it is impressive.  I will go back and read it in more detail.  There is a lot of things I would do differently after seeing yours.  Its all about learning from the building process of others and myself with each model being better than the previous.

As for this build, the model is 1/48 scale, the hull is 15 inches and the beam is 4 inches.

The dimensions on the plans are length BP: 56' 1" and beam 15' 3".

The model is not one of an actual ship but is a representation of a small private armed schooner typical of the War of 1812 period.

I hope this is helpful.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

I have finished constructing the deadeyes and chainplates.

IMG_2773.jpg

The masts are next.

Jeff

Edited by Jeffb

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Jeff,

Looking back over my build there are several things I would do differently now! For me it is a learning project, and seeing things to do differently is a sign I must be learning!

For the inverted photo you might try loading it into Microsoft  mspaint (it comes with Windows) and see if it is inverted there. If so you can rotate it 180 degrees. Also you might try to save it in a different format (JPEG, PNG, BMP, etc.) I would avoid GIF files - they are easily sabotaged with viruses so many programs will not load them.

Thanks, Phil.

I fixed it.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Bob.  Continuing on with the build, I have made some progress.

I have mounted the model on a stand and have started on the masts.  The bowsprit and jibboom are not permanently mounted, just set in position.

IMG_2799.thumb.JPG.941189625a8f2736feb3e96fdfd3c697.JPGIMG_2801.thumb.JPG.0d78bd818415033969552242a903e25e.JPG

IMG_2800.thumb.JPG.9812e1bb3d946514be025b4f13561088.JPGIMG_2802.thumb.JPG.458e1fe62c82a96542c557548a20dbba.JPGIMG_2803.thumb.JPG.f8aeb32d63550e15f76fc4588a36324f.JPG

I have also started on the foremast.  It is set in place for the photo.

IMG_2806.thumb.JPG.eb6781620f214c7905f23416f98d97d1.JPG

That's all for now.

Stay safe.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Bob!

Things have been progressing slowly in the shipyard.

I've finished the masts, gaffs, booms, and yards.

IMG_2824.thumb.JPG.a5a9e08d678d2999092eae99772284ce.JPG

There's likely differing opinions on this but I went ahead and stepped the masts before rigging.

IMG_2833.thumb.JPG.efad38bafa7e0a631601c3de3b8a6e3e.JPG

One of the reasons that I stepped the masts before rigging was the way I did the mast coats.  After doing some research and reading a number of build threads I thought it would be more authentic this way: I made a wooden ring at the deck level around the masts.  I then took a strip of cheese cloth that I painted black and glued it over the ring around the mast to appear like tarred cloth around the base of the mast.  This is the result:

IMG_2839.thumb.JPG.b096af578c5948646e2e8ea6c50f9c0e.JPG

IMG_2840.thumb.JPG.dc46c239071ce871b8d9319f65215484.JPG

I have a bit of cleaning up to do where the bowsprit rests on the stem and a few touchups and its on to the rigging.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

If you have questions about the rigging you might want to look here. I have been puzzling over topsail schooner rigging and have posted some of that I have learned.

Thanks to those who have liked and commented on the build.

Thanks Phil, for directing me to your thread.  Wow!  I started reading it and realized it's going to take more than a casual sit down to take it all in!  I appreciate all the work you put into it and then sharing your learnings.  I will definitely being using it as a resource for rigging this model as well as future builds.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

• 10 months later...

I haven't posted for a while; my apologies.  I seem to have hit a wall when I got to the rigging and worked on some other things for a bit while I contemplated the rigging.  This forum has been a great resource to get me up and running again as I slowly, oh so slowly, carry on with this build.  Here are some progress photos:

IMG_3296.thumb.JPG.9fdad2fc5c1c8c4f46e6559122ca447d.JPGIMG_3298.thumb.JPG.04cbf736ccddb936573c40daf446dd55.JPG

I've finished the standing rigging at this point and I have to take more photos for an update.  This is great fun.

Thanks for checking in.  Any helpful comments/advice is appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds: