Hello.... I am new here to the forum

mfrazier

Hello everyone. My name is Mark Frazier. I live in Mercer, Pennsylvania.I discovered this forum a few days ago and it looks like a good place to be. I have built many things in life , including a couple of houses two garage shop buildings and including some model ships years ago. I am a retired master machinist and tool and die maker. I also have a degree in industrial electronics engineering and industrial mechanical engineering. I had my own home machine shop for years and built many of my own machines and tooling from scratch. I also had a home woodworking shop for years and built a lot of furniture and cabinetry projects. I built many types and various skill level projects and models in the years past, but very few ships ( although I always was fascinated by them).  I was forced to retire  several years early due to medical problems and wound up in a wheelchair a few years ago, and now at age 67 can no longer work in the wood shop or the machine shop. So, I decided to renew my interests in model building as I can do it in the house from my wheel chair. My doctor said "get a new hobby and stay busy" , soooo ....  here I am, embarking on another adventure.  I am looking at a couple of ship model kits from Occre and trying to decide which one to order in the next couple of days. I hope to meet some new friends here and most likely will be seeking some advice on building a new model. Oh ...... and even though they say I will be in this wheelchair forever, I don't buy that. I am presently working on my own at walking again and having some success ( I refuse to stay in this chair permanently and believe eventually to be back on my feet all the time again.)

Hi Mark,

Welcome to MSW.   I do like the attitude.  When you're ready, give some thought to opening a build log as it's the best way to get help and also make friends on the way.

Yeah.. I'm another Mark.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW Mark. You're not too far from my place of birth, Ellwood City, PA.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Gidday Mark and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I admire your positive attitude.

You have found the right place for support and encouragement.

Members here have a wealth of knowledge and freely share it.

There are several logs on beginning modelling on the site.

Search for a build log of a particular ship you have an interest in.

You will find advice on the difficulties and pitfalls associated with various kits.

I personally find researching a kit or ship part of my process.

I wish you all the best with your health and also with your build.

Mark.

Welcome to MSW, Mark. I second vossiewulf's advice. A relatively simple model to start with is a good idea - though you have made ship models before, so maybe you already have the experience and skills needed. I look forward to seeing your build log when you get stated.

Steven

Welcome to MSW and good luck with the exercises for walking again.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW Mark. Until recently, I had a brother living in Allentown PA. Over the years my wife and I have made numerous trips out that way, and although he passed a couple of years ago, I still have some family in the area.      

I am also now confined to a wheelchair, but unlike you, my confinement is now permanent. I have found that keeping a positive attitude like yours can get you through a lot of frustrations. I don’t know your specific physical or financial restrictions, but have you looked into specialty wheelchairs that are available in both manual and power versions that would still allow you to stand?

I have found that one of the most aggravating aspects of life in a wheelchair is the restriction on my reach.  I have had to modify most of my power tools and shop over the years for use while sitting in my chair.  I was unable to afford this type of wheelchair, but they can make accessing things around your house easier and some cases you may also still be able to access your shops. (Just a little food for thought.)

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.