Harbor Tug by CDW - FINISHED - Revell - Box Scale - PLASTIC

note to self......don't fall asleep :)   it hard to keep up with you!   you found yourself a vintage one.....I love building the older kits.  they are a whole different challenge  ;)    one of the earmarks of an older kit is the mold stamp on a visible part of the model........before they smartened up and started to put it in a more suitable location.   with your skill,  this should prove to be an interesting model :) 

I feel your pain on the sanding and fitting.......another case of old molds.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

that last picture of the dry dock will give you a real good idea of how the waterline runs  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

13 hours ago, CDW said:

tempted to model this old hulk:

It's funny you chose that tug. I was just looking at her the other day when I was looking for props to show you, (Couldn't find anything for this kind of tug though). 

If you look a little closer you can still see that after 55 years of working and being sold and resold multiple times she sank at her dock and the picture you have is after she was raised. Even after being neglected enough to have sunk and being under water for some time it looks like she was well painted above the waterline and probably was in much more of a pristine condition before she sank, even though she was possibly just sitting there waiting to be sold again or scrapped. If she had not been just another railroad tug they may have even spent the money to restore her to operational status. Tugs are a very unusual vessel.

I do like the way your's is going. I am kind of glad that you don't want to spend all that much time on her. That way I won't need to wait as long for the finial result!:D

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The hull red and black hull colors do not lend well to a defined water line. So I thought it might look better if I created a thin white later line. 

To do so, I cut a thin strip of white decal paper to a width that looks suitable and apply it along the waterline. The decal paper is ink jet waterslide paper sold by a company that's now defunct, Bel Decals. I was sad to learn they went tango uniform, but fortunately for me, I bought white and clear decal paper in bulk packs of 25 each, 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, before they went the way of the Dodo Bird. DSCN2096.thumb.jpg.4f959aae476fff832a2cab6eebc98f77.jpgDSCN2097.thumb.jpg.72279c07cf17d4ab81b6b7dc835dcbe2.jpgDSCN2098.thumb.jpg.0a2d91aa99215129fc5f90f11ae2598c.jpgDSCN2099.thumb.jpg.16bb1857fa8588514c982d481b378c32.jpg

That does add a lot to the looks.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

coming out soon has my name written all over it.

Boy you hit that on the head! A Japanese icebreaker! Will they have PE available for it? Or will you have to wing it?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I bought the 1:144 Revell Snowberry a few months ago, but held off on starting it until detail sets came out for it.

Today, the upcoming Pontos detail set came up for pre-order and I snagged one before they get sold out. These Pontos sets come and go quickly sometimes and I didn't want to miss it. It will add a lot to the Revell Snowberry kit.

https://freetimehobbies.com/1-144-pontos-model-hmcs-snowberry-flower-class-super-detail-set-for-revell-preorder/

I stand corrected. I enlarged the picture and saw that it does in fact come with pretty much all the PE one would normally hope for. Makes the price a little easier to bear.

I have always liked the Flowers ever since I built the 1/72 Matchbox kit in 1986 when it first came out. Had to do a BUNCH of brass scratch building for it as like almost everything I built back then it was intended for RC operation and had to be tough. I guess she stood the test of time as she was run for several years off and on, and survived three moves and one shelf falling down from about five feet off of the floor. (I still have it and with very little work it could be just like new. 

I bought another kit years later intending to build a better version but never got to it as family and work was fully time consuming at the time. It was just before the Platinum version came out with the PE and wood decks. It still sits in the box it arrived in years ago.

The picture of the 1/144 in your link looks like half the model will be PEby the time you get it built! Time to get yourself a copy of "The Cruel Sea" if you don't have it already. Put it under the "Movies to build ship models by" category.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 2/15/2019 at 11:37 AM, CDW said:

I believe this 1:250 ship model that's coming out soon has my name written all over it. Man, this thing is so darned tempting!

https://freetimehobbies.com/1-250-lighthouse-models-antarctica-observation-ship-soya-plastic-model-kit-preorder/

This looks like a fabulous new model. Do you have any idea of the dimensions? I am extremely tempted to get this one myself.

Cheers

Chris

50 minutes ago, vossy said:

This looks like a fabulous new model. Do you have any idea of the dimensions? I am extremely tempted to get this one myself.

Cheers

Chris

Looks like the shipping box dimensions are 17.6" x 10.4" x 10.2". So I imagine the hull length is somewhere near 17" in length. I have this model in 1:350 scale and it's length is around/about 9" - 10". 

Not huge, but a large enough scale that it will have great detail potential. The only reservation I have about the model is that it's main construction is resin. Not my favorite medium, but it's likely this model will be a very limited production run. They're probably not investing a ton of money in molds and instead going the limited production, resin production run.

Coming together nicely,  I love the contrast in colors  reminds me of the RN  ones used daily when we used to live near a port.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, vossy said:

Do you have any idea of the dimensions?

Based on the dimensions of the real ship of 273' X 44' the model should work out to slightly over 13" X 2" 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, CDW said:

This concludes the general painting and assembly of the Harbor Tug.

Next I will spend a couple of days (or less) adding some details and detail painting/shading/highlighting/weathering.DSCN2114.thumb.jpg.9de4fbf396e68bede7385867cea2df58.jpgDSCN2115.thumb.jpg.2811b599f02a78d10bb16c6ee29d2fee.jpgDSCN2116.thumb.jpg.2282297bdc2f90fef3b19285f85ba951.jpgDSCN2117.thumb.jpg.26f99888ac1ac0878c32cf8513d44b81.jpgDSCN2118.thumb.jpg.73b55e8fdf05037c900df4d3e4507f50.jpg

That looks smart  - real nice job.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm not even done with my work week,  and your done already :)   you did an extremely nice job on the model......top notch!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice job.

Does the name you chose have any significance or is it just something you dug up?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Does the name you chose have any significance or is it just something you dug up?

Mondello?

MH = Mondello and Hughs

Very well known in the Tug industry. I'm surprised you didn't know that or read about it on the internet through a google search.

Nahhhh!...!...! ...I'm just yankin' 'yur chain, Lou!

I cut these out from an old decal sheet that I had already used, but saved it 'cause it had a lot of unused decals on the sheet.

Mondello was a well known maker of racing headers back in the day. MH made drag slicks. 😎

You threw me for a minute there! Until I scrolled down! You actually had me thinking that it was some east coast tug or inland tug company.

My Tug knowledge is pretty much west coast, (Especially Foss and Crowley) with some branching out on ocean going tugs, mostly British. The only east coast tug company I would possibly recognize would be Moran, which is what I thought you were building based on the colors. Almost all you would have needed would be a big "M" on the funnel.

image.png.e7cb66fccad8355a89fb30e5d49b6a19.png

Still a nice job even if you did fool me. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lovely job  - another one done  - now lets see the others on the go......:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Love the Moran tug photo. 

Here is one to share with the tug lovers here.  It's the tug Stamford off the Portland Head Lighthouse taken from another McAllister tug on the way to the Portland Tug Race.  The Portland Head Lighthouse is the most photographed place in Maine but not too often from the water.  Combines two of my interests in one photo.  The NRG had been at the Portland Head light just days before during a conference.  I wound up running late to catch the plane back from the conference when I spent too long watching these tugs come into the harbor in Portland for the race.  The USCG Eagle was also there that day.  I was lamenting missing the race so the photo was sent to me by the Capt. of the Stamford.   This photo is my desktop screen saver.

Stamford at Portland Head Light - large file.JPG

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

That is a great picture Kurt

Tug boat races!

Several years ago a friend and I were invited on board the Shelly Foss for our annual tug boat race in Puget Sound. When we started out the Shelly was pretty much in front of everyone but was being closely pursued by a Crowley tug. I forgot which one but she was newer, more powerful, and faster than the Shelly and was catching us fast.

For those who have never been on a tug at high speed, (Probably only 14-16 Kts but feels much faster) it becomes obvious that you are soon pushing half of the ocean in front of the boat and dragging the rest behind you with nothing in between! As the after work deck is only about a foot above the waterline anyway it looks like a tall wave is following the boat trying to swamp you. In fact if the captain was to throw the engines into reverse that would in fact happen! Just imagine a fat 85 foot ship with over 3000 HP and two six foot props trying to get on plane and you start getting the idea.

The local tug people take their once a year race VERY SERIOUSLY and this race was no different. The Crowley tug was NOT going to let an old Foss tug beat her under any circumstances. We were standing by the winch looking back as the other tug kept closing the distance. We began to realize that the other tug was getting so close that she was starting to surf our wake and all of the sudden made a lunge at us! At the last minute with what seemed to be inches to spare, the tug vered off to one side, but we were certain that we were going to get a tug over the stern and in our lap! They may look small when you see them up against the side of some ship but from our view that tug was anything but small! We ran up to the bridge and told the captain what had happened and he just said in a level tone, "It happens once in a while, happened last year to one of the other tugs". I don't know if he was pulling our leg but he sounded like he was telling the truth. 

I would do it again, although I would probably stay on the bridge but I suspect those days are long gone for me just as my contacts so there is probably little chance.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

This was taken from our old front window.

OC.

Wave Knight-2-2-2.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

I could enjoy a view like that from my front room window.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice work CDW.  Am looking forward to your next build.

You are a lucky man Lou, having all that fun.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)