Mamoli's Blue Shadow - build or bash it

Mr.Big

Hi, new here but not to modeling.  I know what people think of Blue Shadow: is it really fiction?  I am wondering if anybody ever bashed it or not?  

I got my hands on the plans of privateer Oliver Cromwell launched 1776 Essex, CT [CT River Museum & Mystic Seaport I believe have the plans too. [if on 95 all within 10 minutes stop off there as nice town on CT River; also stop in Groton for the USS Nautilus and Fort Griswald, across the Thames River is US Coast Guard Academy [ USS Eagle is in port except in summer] -- all free.].  As I see except for the stern and a mizzenmast very similar. Also close to War of 1812 USS Wasp & USS Hornet.    Anybody ever bash the "Blue Shadow?"  

Did is anyone ever make the Oliver Cromwell?  I'll post the Cromwell plans site: zip file: REMOVED LINK BECAUSE IT VIOLATED COPYRIGHTS. REMOVED BY ADMIN.  

(My wife is Brit & can't understand why we named a ship after her word the bloody nut Cromwell.  CT was a Puritan state (would hang Catholic & Quakers, Baptist, etc. & to celebrate Christmas was a hanging sentence as it was seen Papist at the Revolution time. CT hid the 3 judges that condemned Charles 1: Dixwell, Goff & Whalley and then named streets after them in New Haven by Yale U. ).   [if on I-95 all within 10 minutes stop off there as nice town on CT River; also stop in Groton for the USS Nautilus and Fort Griswald, across the Thames River is US Coast Guard Academy training rig USS Eagle is in port except in summer]

My friend owns a pawn shop & a high end miscellaneous item store (buys up business [Hallmark's, Jeweler's etc. inventory on closings) I picked up Aeropiccola USS Constitution 40 inches for $75 and Mamoli Rattlesnake for $110; and the Mamoli Blue Shadow for about $125.  Are these ok models and did I get a deal or shafted?

Thanks Rich from Coastal CT

Second link removed by admin.....MORE PIRATED STUFF NOT ALLOWED.  

If you can get this old book from a library it is "old school" model handbook - has numerous plans.      

American ship models and how to build them by V.R. Grimwood.  1942 Norton, NYC
(Book)

Edited by Mr.Big
Spellling

Hi, Rich

Yes, the name "Blue Shadow" is pure fiction, but most of these dubious kit subjects were drafted from some plan source or another, e.g. af Chapman, Chapelle, etc., even if those drawings may have been reconstructions. So one possibility is to track down the inspiration for the Mamoli design and then simply call it whatever it is -- whatever that happens to be. It'll still make a nice model.

You've got plenty of kits there to keep you busy. Good luck!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW Rich.

There's a few Oliver Cromwell builds in the scratch build area.   Also, look for Beaver's Prize.   The search function at the top right of any page should lead you there and the search can be refined after the initial search.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)