Ki-45 Nick by CDW - Zoukei-Mura - 1:32 scale - Plastic

CDW

I pre ordered the 1:32 Zoukei-Mura Ki-45 Nick. Today it arrived on my doorstep via FedEx. The shipping box was very large and at first I thought they used an oversized box to help protect the model kit inside, but once I picked it up, immediately knew from the weight of it there was a whole lot of plastic inside this box.

Taking it inside and opening the shipping box, it dawned on me what a huge kit this is. Opening the kit box, you find another box inside that one - for extra rigidity. When you get inside that box, you find tree after tree of model airplane parts...almost 600 of them. One of the reasons for the high parts count is that Zoukei-Mura decided to mold the outer skins in both clear plastic as well as opaque, giving the modeling the option to decide whether he wants a clear outer skin to show off all that amazing inner detail or use the opaque skin and just concentrate on getting a beautiful painted finish. Either way, this model is just loaded with detail and looks to be nothing short of amazing in the details it offers.

I am going to start this build thread by showing about half the parts trees inside the box. In a later installment, I'll show the other parts, the instruction booklet, and the decals.

I will slowly start this thread, then gradually build up momentum once I finish a couple of other small projects. Maybe it's pie in the sky, but I hope to have this model finished by mid April 2019. We'll see.DSCN2065.thumb.jpg.4cf4512b2e05e9ccc8caa5b0e8a639f6.jpgDSCN2066.thumb.jpg.7c4dc32e1666a51b560e8b3f3a1cca57.jpgDSCN2067.thumb.jpg.c87dafa2b657575f6e0b9eb47a80427a.jpgDSCN2068.thumb.jpg.874b677c21379378e0a3d498d70b587d.jpgDSCN2069.thumb.jpg.cc46f6a8ddbe71cb0697b5b5cc2b1698.jpgDSCN2070.thumb.jpg.9cb7ce213f19343e452c52b0bf932e01.jpgDSCN2071.thumb.jpg.ea30c576e611ba5bbdea7e799c61a14a.jpg

So are you going for clear or opaque?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

CDW,

Give some thought to posting your aircraft builds as kit review here:  https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/75-non-ship-kit-reviews/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, CDW said:

I am not a fan of clear.

I'm kind of the same way. But on the other hand it will kind of be a shame hiding all that interior and framework.

I have kind of the same issue if I was to build my Sikorsky S-43. It has a full cockpit and passenger interior but once you put the fuselage halves together you will never see it again.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

seems a shame to waste the clear parts though.......you could build the kit as two planes {if the kit supplies all the parts}.  you could do the clear one,  all closed up,  with camo and paint,  and for the grey plastic,  you can have all the compartments removable ;) 

ooooops!   I forget.....that's what I would do!   sorry....I get giddy 'round new kits.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Greetings Mr. CDW,

I had a look at the manufactures site on the "Inter Web thingy...."

They have some very interesting subjects, one that piques my interest is the Heinkel HE 219.... (I developed plans many years ago for a 1/6 RC version that never materialised.)

Anyway, I'll be following your efforts with the KI 45 with interest.

(Would you be able to Grace us with Kit Review as suggested by Mark?)

All the best.

HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

You could do one side clear, or one side painted clear with some areas clear to show off and area, like maybe the engine. Sort of like leaving some deck planks off to show interior detail.

• 2 weeks later...