Hello All

Started building L'Etoile -  a french Schooner. I Didn't find the plan, so, searched for other plans that are close to it. I found a plan for a three masted Barquentine called DEWARUTJI , and since L'Etoile has only 2 masts, i had to make some modifications to the plan such as widening a little bit at the middle and the stern as well. I do double planking on bulk heads. 

Please check the attached building log. will keep posting photos as I proceed, and please feel free to post your comments to help reach the proper l'Etoile shape

Thank you 

DSC_1356_00 (1).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (2).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (3).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (4).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (5).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (6).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (10).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (12).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (15).JPG

DSC_1356_00 (16).JPG

DSC_1359-01 (3).JPG

DSC_1359-01 (6).JPG

DSC_1359-01 (7).JPG

Hi mhkash,

The plans can be obtained from:

http://www.aamm.fr/boutique/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=216

There are plenty of photos to be found on the internet. However be carful because they differ depending on each refit. Have you decided on which version you are building?

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

3 hours ago, glennreader said:

Hi mhkash,

The plans can be obtained from:

http://www.aamm.fr/boutique/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=216

There are plenty of photos to be found on the internet. However be carful because they differ depending on each refit. Have you decided on which version you are building?

Glenn

Thank you Glenn for the rich information. Actually I know that all versions are identical whether l'Etoile or Belle Poule , I even noticed one of the boats called CLAIRE , Similar Hull and Rigging could you please explain.

Thank you very much :)

hmkash,

First, never heard of a boat called CLAIRE similar to the Belle Poule or L'Etoile.

What I mean by different versions is relating to things like the equipment on deck. For instance, when launched they carried 2 boats: a 6m 'Doris' and a 4m 'Youyou'. I use the French names here. Now they carry 2 life rafts and an inflatable launch.  They also had manual windlass, now they are fitted with an electric system. Though from a distance they look very much the same as they did in 1932, on closer inspection there are many differences, including in the rigging.

I decided my model was going to portray the ship as she is now, which was probably the easy option, lots of pictures available. The other easy option would be to portray the ship as she was when launched,  very few pictures but that is as she is shown in the plans from the Musees de la Marine.

Still, you seem to have the basic shape. Though if you look at my log you will see there is a poop deck.

I will follow your build. If you need to, feel free to ask any specific questions and I will try and answer them.

Glenn

Edited by glennreader

Current Builds

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

15 hours ago, glennreader said:

hmkash,

First, never heard of a boat called CLAIRE similar to the Belle Poule or L'Etoile.

What I mean by different versions is relating to things like the equipment on deck. For instance, when launched they carried 2 boats: a 6m 'Doris' and a 4m 'Youyou'. I use the French names here. Now they carry 2 life rafts and an inflatable launch.  They also had manual windlass, now they are fitted with an electric system. Though from a distance they look very much the same as they did in 1932, on closer inspection there are many differences, including in the rigging.

I decided my model was going to portray the ship as she is now, which was probably the easy option, lots of pictures available. The other easy option would be to portray the ship as she was when launched,  very few pictures but that is as she is shown in the plans from the Musees de la Marine.

Still, you seem to have the basic shape. Though if you look at my log you will see there is a poop deck.

I will follow your build. If you need to, feel free to ask any specific questions and I will try and answer them.

Glenn

Thank you very much Glenn, I appreciate your effort in making things clear to me. Indeed , I'll find your log and it will be my guide :) .. I guess i'll follow your advice and select the recent version due to the availability of photos.

btw, https://www.antique-fine-art.com/schooner.html here is CLAIRE which is a model based on etoile

Thank you again 

Edited by mhkash

mhkash,

You are progressing quickly. It looks more correct now you have the poop deck done. I am looking forward to seeing what you do.

I had a look at your link to the model of CLAIRE. It does in fact state that it is a model of the L'Etoile named CLAIRE. My guess would be that the model maker had a specific reason for naming his model CLAIRE, maybe his wife's name or something similar. As for the asking price of £2000, whish I thought I could get £2000 for my model. I do not know what to say.

Glenn

Current Builds

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

On 2/14/2019 at 6:00 PM, glennreader said:

mhkash,

You are progressing quickly. It looks more correct now you have the poop deck done. I am looking forward to seeing what you do.

I had a look at your link to the model of CLAIRE. It does in fact state that it is a model of the L'Etoile named CLAIRE. My guess would be that the model maker had a specific reason for naming his model CLAIRE, maybe his wife's name or something similar. As for the asking price of £2000, whish I thought I could get £2000 for my model. I do not know what to say.

Glenn

Good Morning Glenn

Thank you for kindness and for your time, I'm so glad that you are helping me get this project done, I really appreciate it. I enjoy looking at your etoile model. You did a great job and i wonder why it is not your favorite boat style.. it is perfect and i saved all the photos to use them as the guide as i go on. 

here is the recent shots

Thank you very much.

DSC_1361_00 (1).JPG

DSC_1361_00 (2).JPG

DSC_1361_00 (3).JPG

DSC_1361_00 (4).JPG

Hi mhkash,

You are wrong, after building the L'Etoile Topsail schooners have become a firm favourite. I am now building another one The Scottish Maid. However I have possessed the kit for the Snake, a Sloop of War, for a number of years and will build that afterwards.

Your model is coming along very nicely.

Glenn

Current Builds

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

21 hours ago, glennreader said:

Hi mhkash,

You are wrong, after building the L'Etoile Topsail schooners have become a firm favourite. I am now building another one The Scottish Maid. However I have possessed the kit for the Snake, a Sloop of War, for a number of years and will build that afterwards.

Your model is coming along very nicely.

Glenn

Thank you very much Glenn, I'm working now on the deadeye blocks , from scratch too. I'll prepare the photo set for the those blocks as i start from scratch to the end, i use Balsa wood , cut it from a Balsa Sheet , thickness of 6 mm x 6 mm , and with a sand paper I get the cylindrical shape, after completion the diameter is about 3.5 mm, then cut this into blocks, again with sand paper until i get the correct shape, I'll try to post those photos in a day or two.

Thank you very much

shape of  

Good Morning All

I've completed the Cabins and the steering wheel, and to my complete astonishment , the cabins looked as if they were train wagons😂😂 , however , when placed on deck, they gave me a close look and feel (I hope so 🙄☺️), right now, I'm working on the masts.

Thank you 

DSC_1362 (1).JPG

DSC_1362 (2).JPG

DSC_1362 (3).JPG

DSC_1362 (4).JPG

DSC_1362 (5).JPG

DSC_1362 (6).JPG

DSC_1362 (7).JPG

DSC_1362 (8).JPG

DSC_1362 (9).JPG

DSC_1362 (10).JPG

DSC_1362 (11).JPG

DSC_1362 (12).JPG

Hello Again, this weekend I've been working on sails and some other blocks, and yaaaaaay ☺️ , I've succeeded in making one of the sails furled ☺️, 1361703333_DSC_1367-FurledSails(5).JPG.5a1cacf83c5032131b81e1c0753bc282.JPGI'm really happy for that 

DSC_1367 (1).JPG

DSC_1367 (2).JPG

DSC_1367 (3).JPG

DSC_1367 (4).JPG

DSC_1367 (6).JPG

DSC_1367 (7).JPG

Nice work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Nice work!

Thank you GrandpaPhil, Thank you for your nice words🌺

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm Finalizing 😁 , almost done. Do you have any comment regarding the scale ?

Thank you 

DSC_1369.JPG

DSC_1368.JPG

DSC_1367.JPG

DSC_1365.JPG

DSC_1364.JPG

DSC_1363.JPG

DSC_1362.JPG

DSC_1361.JPG

Edited by mhkash
missing comment

• 8 months later...

Good Afternoon All

Here is the Photo of L'Etoile at the EGYHOBBY 2019 Fair .. 

Thank you 

78817131_2512577132361152_2807643421592780800_o.thumb.jpg.18a407cfff5bb85563553c4effebb21f.jpg