Greetings to MSW from Maryland

Hello, all, and thank you for welcoming me into this forum!  I am a naval engineer with a love for old sailing ships.  I started a model of USS Enterprise (No. 80822 by Constructo) about 19 years ago but had to stop working on it in the Fall of 2000--first masters, raise two sons, divorce, remarry, second masters.  I am finally at a point where I am about to resume work!  I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction with a problem I am having.  Having been away from the model for so long, the first thing I did was re-inventory the remaining parts.  Much to my annoyance, a bag of parts (bag no. 16) is missing.  It contains parts referred to as "Bow decoration piping," "Bow decoration counter-piping," both of which are made from cast iron, "Covers," and "Chain plate wire", both of which are brass.  I have been trying to locate contact information for Constructo to no avail.  Does anyone know of such information or where I may obtain replacement parts?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!  A pic of the box is attached.

enterprise.jpg

I'm uncertain about what the first three items are supposed to be -- perhaps you could show us from the plans what they are? Sounds kind of like they are referring to head rails. As for chain plate wire, forming those from wire is a short-cut method for making those parts -- they look okay, but the technique is not really true of the original. If you choose to use that method for making chain plates, you can replace the kit wire with annealed brass wire of the same gauge -- you can even get it pre-blackened, if you so desire. Look for it online at hardware suppliers.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hello, Chris!

Thanks for the quick reply!  So first off, I found that I had already used the "Covers."  So that's taken care of.  Secondly, I can't even find on the prints nor in the instructions where "Chain Plate Wire" is used.  But being a wire, I'm sure I should be able to get a replacement when I figure it out.  The attached two pics show the other parts.  In the sketch, they are labeled items 47 and 48.  In the photo from the box, they are the two curved pieces that look greenish grey.  They are located on either side of the bowsprit.  Hope you can make them out.

Cheers!

David El-Taher

Frederick, MD

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

Welcome to MSW.   Have you tried contacting Constructo for replacement parts?  The alternative might be to keep a look on Ebay for a cheap kit that has the parts you need.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Chain plates are the metal straps that secure deadeyes to the hull. Twisting them from wire is one way to make them for a model. But as the name implies, chain plates on real ships were once made out of links of chain; later they were made from metal sheet. Either way, they're not wire. But -- as I said previously, you can make them from wire. Just get yourself some annealed brass or blackened wire. The plan sheets probably show how to twist them somewhere. Good luck!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks to everyone!  At the same time that I had joined this forum, I also sent a request for Constructo's contact information to a couple of online model dealers that deal in Constructo models.  Turns out Constructo was purchased by one company which is a subsidiary of another company.  Long story short, I sent Constructo an email.  This morning they say their sending me the missing parts!  Fantastic service!

Cheers!

David