Model Shipways Constitution

leggolon

Would you recommend this kit for an average builder.  I have 40 years of modeling experience both wood and plastic.  However most of my experience tends to be in the aircraft line.......both wood and plastic.  I also have a good amount of skill with tools and materials.......Thank you out there.

Larry

That depends. There are, to be sure, first-time modelers who have completed projects of that magnitude, but honestly they are rare. Most new modelers find there's a bit of a learning curve for sailing men-of-war, even if they have prior modeling experience (I know I did). I always try to steer beginners toward something relatively simpler for a first project. There is, of course, a large number of kit subjects available of smaller vessels from the same time period as Connie, so you may find one of them sufficiently interesting.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I think you could do it. I'd say my skills are average and I am building the Conny. Its on standby right now but take a look at my build log below.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

8 hours ago, leggolon said:

Would you recommend this kit for an average builder.  I have 40 years of modeling experience both wood and plastic.  However most of my experience tends to be in the aircraft line.......both wood and plastic.  I also have a good amount of skill with tools and materials.......Thank you out there.

That pretty much describes me, Larry. I recommend you start with something similar to what I did, a cutter model or a longboat, or something else with a single mast. There is a tremendous amount to learn just building something like that before you step up to the plate for the Constitution. I have that kit in my closet but it will stay there for a while yet before I feel like I'm ready to do it justice.

Edited by vossiewulf

Hello Larry, welcome to MSW.

One thing about the constitution that I think most modelers don't realize is how long it takes to build her. The build will be a major commitment on your part. You basically have a box of wood and strings. I have been working on and off for over eight years now. You are looking at a model that will be over four feet long and over three feet tall. Once the major build of the model is finished you are looking at a large rigging job. You will have three full masts to ring and also a bowsprit. The great part of building the Constitution is most of the steps are like mini kits in themselves. The ships boats are great mini kits, the cannons are the same thing. Your modeling skills will be challenged when you come to coppering the hull.  For me the Constitution has been a great experience so far. I started out by building Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop. Great build to warm up with and only one mast to rig. 😀 The best thing you can do is look at the build logs on MSW and see how the other modelers have done. 

Just remember to have fun and learn. 

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Hi Larry,

Welcome to MSW.   Good advice from everyone but I'll add to it.

I take it you don't have the kit yet.   I bought my first model and wanted the Billings' Wasa.  Opened the box and read the instruction. Put every thing back in the box and went back to the local hobby shop and bought a simple cannon/deck kit and and two masted ship.   Built them and then went to Wasa.  Was a fun journey but necessary journey to get there.  BTW, this was before the Web so I was on my own when I started.  No matter what you chose, do start a log as you'll get support and more than likely make some friends along the way as we're a pretty friendly bunch of madmen and madwomen.:rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Take the instructions into consideration also. Unless Chuck Passaro has written the instructions, Model Shipways istructions leave much to be desired. Also, cost should be a factor. Constitution kit is very expensive and that’s a lot to spend on a first ship build. So many options and cheaper. You can supplement better wood on other options for less than the cost of the Connie. 

Steve

2 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

Unless Chuck Passaro has written the instructions, Model Shipways istructions leave much to be desired.

I partially agree with that statement. I think it is more accurate to say that MS instructions tend to assume some degree of prior experience on the part of the builder and therefore tend to offer less in the way of a step-by-step process.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane