My brother had to cut down a couple of Bass Wood trees which had become dangerous. Much of the wood is solid and in good shape. Would it have any value as modeling materials? If some one were willing to offer a few bucks it would help him recoup some unexpected maintenance costs and it seems a shame to let it just go to waste. Some of it was cut up into short lengths for splitting but much of it is still unprocessed and can be cut to length.

Thanks

Dave

Basswood is commonly used in model ship building so I would think if it were in good condition, cut, and allowed to dry properly, it would be of interest to modelers. 

Russ

Basswood is one of the most common modeling woods in the US, and is an excellent carving wood as it is relatively soft, but fine-grained and will hold fine detail.

I would look in this google search and see if any of the mills or carver supply places are near you, and call that closest one. Chances are they'll pay you for it if it's good wood.

I can and have processed my own stock from logs. For species that are not obtainable in any other way, it is just what has to be done.  But, Basswood is a species that is available commercially.  For me, the work involved in getting a green log into seasoned and usable stock makes it not worth the effort for a species that I can get as seasoned 8x4 or 4x4 boards from a lumber yard -unless the log is free to begin with and that depends on the species.    The suggestions to shop the logs to a commercial yard is a good way to go.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

OK thanks! this is some good advice and some clever ideas. Didn't know about decoys. Jaager, i figured your's might be the most common answer, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I thought, in my many years of lurking, i had read builders mention wanting large stock to mill down to their own specifications, but I suppose you have the right of it. I'd be willing to trade it all for a favor but I've no idea what they'd be worth on that market either. I think vossiewulf's advice could pan out to something though. I might know someone who could point me in the right direction, locally. 

Thanks again all! 

Dave

Dave, in case your lead doesn't work out, an easy method is to find a local custom cabinet/furniture shop and give them a call. They'll know everything about local wood suppliers and who buys and sells what. That will probably quickly point you to your best options.

Depending on where you live there are backwoods sawmills that will custom saw a log into planks.  In Southern Ohio they are known as “pecker mills” as in woodpecker.  Two problems.  First of all, you have to get the log to the mill and second many of these guys will refuse to saw up a log if they know that it came from a surburban location due to the possibility that there is a nail embedded in it.

A better choice would to advertise in the paper for someone with a portable bandsaw or chainsaw mill to saw up the log on site,  the sawing cost to be paid as a share of the lumber.  Our local paper has a free swap column that would accept such an advertisement.  Keep in mind that basswood lumber is not expensive so the log may not have as much commercial value as you might expect.

Actually, for modelers shorter pieces that can be split are easier to use as a quartered piece can be cut into blocks with a table saw or bandsaw.  

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett