Chris Beale

Chris1953

Hi folks

I have been "lurking" around the site for almost a year now and with retirement less than 3 weeks away, I have decided that it is time to GO PUBLIC. I am based near Ipswich in the UK and spent 12 years in the Royal Navy (a long time ago) and then moved into industry. My father was a professional modeller working for Bassett Loak in Northampton, and I decided that upon retirement I would try to emulate him (in a very small way). I have two models that have been donated by family members which I am starting with, I have Badger from Caldecraft and a Syren. I will attempt the Badger first and make all my (initial) mistakes there. 

I do have one early question if I may....I see pictures and read practicums suggesting that all you need to do to hold a plank in place on a frame is to use a standard pin. I have tried many way to do this but am no closer to understanding how a plank can be put up, removed, remodelled and then put into place. It is the holding of the plank to the bulkheads in a temporary way that is defeating me. If anyone would care to suggest the best way to do this I would be very grateful.

This is a great site with enormous resources that I look forward to plundering in the future...I might even be able to contribute once I get started.

Best wishes to all

Chris B

Gidday Chris and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

Re your query on plank holding, may I suggest initiating a search in the build logs section.

Hopefully you will fine something there that will prove beneficial. 

Sometimes I need to find a solution that "makes sense" to me.

I wish you all the best in your search and in your build.

Mark.

Welcome aboard Chris.

A search such as Mark recommends will result in several different but equally good solutions to your question just pick one that works for you and jump in. Also start your own build log as soon as you open the box. That is the best way to get help from all the great model builders available on this forum. It will also help all those that come in behind you.

Good luck with your retirement and all your future builds.

Edited by Osmosis

Welcome aboard Chris.

Lucky you retiring so soon, I have to wait until November. look forward to seeing a build log. you are already getting good advice and will get a lot more from other members. good luck with your build, will drop by every once in a while to see how you are getting on.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Hi Chris,

Welcome to MSW.  As for planking, there's two good tutorials here: https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/   The top two pinned topic. 

There is also a "beginner's" tutorial here: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php    It's the second item on that page.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome  from Jollymillar...….  great site and lots of help especially if you build a Billings !!!

current build Wasa

Dundas Ontario via Liverpool UK 

Edited by jollymillar
spelling