Gripos-kaiki by Giorgos - Finished

Hello everyone.

As a school teacher I have a good relationship with books, so I read a lot and all kinds of them. However my feelings are particular for folklore books.

Recently dropped in my hands, one of those folklore books, titled as "Proti-Antigone" which is referring to Princes' Islands circa the end of 1880.

The book especially is focused to the Island with the early Greek name "Antigone" - or «Burgazada» now in Turkish.

The author describes the way of life at that time, and in a part of the book, stands in the main occupation of the inhabitants, the fishing.

He refers to a special way of fishing, the "gripos" (traine (?) and the particular boats that they were used for this purpose.

...........................Gripos-1.JPG

According to the book, "gripos" is the way of fishing where two boats in cooperation, were throwing a net to a side of a herd fish and then, paddling (at that time) in coordination, they were  leading the herd to a coast with sand, where they were completing the collection of the catch. For this way of fishing, were used special, light and narrow vessels, called as "Gripo-kaika" (gripos-kaiki (or Caique)) because of the special use.

...........................gripos-2.JPG

Standing at the section of presentation of these boats, I was surprised as in front of my eyes I had a very detailed description of their construction and decoration. I immediately realized that I had found the motivation and what would be my next model...

In my followed research, I found that this type of vessel, apart from the Princes' Islands, were also used in Marmara Sea and therefore by all the surrounding nations. Greeks as (Αλαμάνα-gripos)-Turks as (Alamana) and Bulgarians as (Аламана).

.......................................420_001-n.JPG

So I searched and found information by crossing the Aegean Sea. And through these lines, I would like to thank our Turkish modeler mates from the forum “modelteknikleri.com”, for the help they provided me and as a result of collaboration with naftotopos.gr. (For those friends who haven't read my self-presentation, I am an active member of this site.)

It was a well shaped and beautiful vessel, with elaborate decoration and it was often used at various events. Sometimes it was rigged with a simple lateen sail, although it was mostly handled by oars.

...........................gripos-3.JPG

Next I will present you the construction of a model equipped with oars.

Thank you

Although I had the plans of the vessel, I preferred to proceed by redrawing the model, a practice I use to follow for all my models.

....................gripos-4.jpg

By redrawing a model, I think I can understand better the lines of its shape and maybe feel some of the first idea of its construction…

Watching many old and new photos, I made quite a few drawings (3-4) I must say, before I eventually choose the final. …

....................gripos-5.JPG

The model will be in 1:20 scale, in a length of 720 mm and 135 mm width.

It will be an open model with 44 frames and will be built by the use of a construction jig.

What follows promises much sawdust… :)

Thank you

Hello Giorgos,

It is always nice to learn some of the history.

This will be an interesting build to follow.

Will you be rigging her with a sail?

Good luck with this build and enjoy!

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

unique set of plans there........should prove to be an interesting build  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi all and thank you for your kind comments.

Anja. I will go with the version with the oars since it was more common in use, besides I think a sail would "dominate" and would cover the model and that's what I wouldn't like it.

Well, I have started with the stem and the stern post, which details have been transferred from plan to a sketch and then I shaped them partially by walnut wood. 

................................................DSCF7307--n.jpg

DSCF6844--n.JPG

...............................................................DSCF6845--n.JPG

All the scarf joints were made by precise cuts.

I formed the rabbet line on the keel and the positions for the floors.

DSCF6850--n.JPG

...............................................................DSCF6852--n.JPG

......................................DSCF6841--n.JPG

Thank you

Edited by Giorgos

Hello Giorgos,

Thanks for the answer. You made a good start. I really like the walnut wood.

I think it's indeed called an 'apron'. It is intended to strengthen the connection between the stem and the keel.

Looking forward to your progress.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi.

Following the same way as for the stem and stern post, I transferred the details of the frames from plan to sketches (too many sketches…) and I set the shape of the floors and the futtocks.

DSCF6869-n.JPG

Then I start cutting pieces from beachwood that will be components of the frames.

DSCF6886-n.JPG

It was quite enough work because, reminding you, the hull has been designed with 44 frames and each frame with 3 pieces…

In order not to lose the pieces of each frame, they have been numbered and tied together with some tape.

Very clean and precise.  Beautiful work, Giorgos. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

oh my.........look at the bones!   nice bit of progress......can't wait till they are in place! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Giorgos I am enjoying watching this build, what a great start. It is great to see the hand drawn lines and frames. such a peaceful way to get there.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you all for your comments and for following my log.

Having cut all the pieces, I composed each frame with its parts, using white carpenters glue and small nails.

Also here, the work was enough.

DSCF6890-n.JPG

DSCF6904-n.JPG

top notch job on the bones! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's a very intreguing build you set out on. Very clean workmanship on the keel and the frames!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi.

Proceeding with the construction jig, on model's side plan and related to hull’s lines, I drew two colored lines, a red and a yellow.

With these lines, I defined and set the levels of the construction jig.

jig-1.JPG

So the jig was constructed by spare wooden plates and with three levels (wooden plates).

The first level is the supporting base, the second one identified as the main hull line (above the waterline), while the third level was partially constructed only at the edges of the jig.There was no need to be a complete third level and that because the side curvature of the hull.

Ending the construction, on the upper surface of the plates, I made pencil marks, pointing the positions where the frames had to be set.

jig-3.jpg

Then I took the keel with the stem and stern post and I placed them in the jig, aligning the keel with two small pieces of wood.

jig-4.jpg

jig-5.jpg

jig-6.jpg

I have to point out, that I made the construction jig in fact with only one level, because I will use it, not to compose the frames inside of it (since that’s already made),  but as a help placing and stabilizing the frames on the keel.

After the construction of the jig, I took the frames out of their numbered cardboards, and started placing them on respective positions on the keel.

jig-7.jpg

jig-8a.jpg

jig-10.jpg

jig-11.jpg

jig-12.jpg

jig-13.jpg

When I finished with the frames on the keel (without been stabilized), I carved two additional aprons (by solid wood) for the stem and stern posts and on which some of the hull planks will be supported.

jig-14.jpg

In an impulse to see the result …I took the model out of the jig…

jig-15.JPG

Thank you

now....that's looking reall sweet!   very nicely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great looking framing work.  Very impressive.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

An amazing amount of work in two weeks.  Looks good

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for your comments mates...

I put the hull back in the construction jig and I started stabilizing the frames.

Jig-16.jpg

Using pins and pieces of string, I set the distance between the frames and held them in the proper position.Then securing that distance, I cut small balks, in same dimensions and placed them between the frames, at the level of gunwales.

Jig-17.jpg

Jig-18.jpg

Jig-18a.jpg

Jig-19.jpg

I placed also small balks between the frames on the keel and at the same height with the floors.

With the inner keel and some “bolts”, the whole construction was secured.

Jig-20.jpg

Jig-21.jpg

Jig-22.jpg

Jig-23.jpg

Finally, at the connection point between the floors and the futtocks, I placed two stringers (?)  and let the glue dry…

Jig-24.jpg

Thank you

Amazingly fast and amazingly wonderful.  Wow!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very good, beautiful framing.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray