SaturnV's 1:48 Full Framed Triton Build

I finished my new keel and have mounted it securely in the jig. Ready to begin the frames. The keel parts are made mostly of the dark inner wood of crab apple. The false keel is walnut. All are locally harvested.

The fish plate and horseshoe were tough because I had to do them freehand with no drawings with dimensions to assist me - they were both best guess based on an isometric view in an AOS book for the Pandora. I am satisfied though as these peices will not be seen much by the average person. They are mostly there because I wanted them there and also for a little accuracy - perfection not required.

post-65-0-93090300-1381774608_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-74060000-1381774616_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-38322500-1381774625_thumb.jpg

Nice work, Richard.  The wood looks interesting with it's coloring.  You're right about the horseshoe, etc.  Most folks wouldn't know it was missing but it's a great touch.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulation Richard!

There is something magic when you rise all the frames and you start to see the shape of the hull at last! Don´t you think? Have you remove all the patterns in all the frames? I am leaving the fore patterns, the red ones, just to realize where to bevel more or less. Specially in those aft and fore.

Since I have no camera I´m going to see if I can take pics using the web cam and skipe. fingers cross.

Your are doing an excellent job and It took you less than me. Hurray!

:cheers:

Daniel.

Hello Richard and all!

today I have finished the fore cant frames. I mean they are all in place and glued. In the last picture of the post #61, the one that shows the horseshoe, I can see that you have cut the right hand of the step of -w- frame inclinated foreward. It should be square to the horizontal line. 90 º . You´ll be in trouble if you attempt to glue this W frame with that inclination. Maybe the sheer plan tricks you. Maybe you can put it straigtht and fill the space (or leave it empty). the hawse pieces will fullfill that gap.

Damn how I miss my camera...!!

Happy Saturday!

Daniel.

Hi Daniel!

Yes, that step is a bit ambigous on the drawings. However, my montra is "perfection not required". I can easily add or subtract material as needed in that area without there being any visiable sign of a correction. The actual thin area of each of the deadwoods on my keel are sloppy but these areas will be covered by other parts so why take the time to make them perfect? They are merely areas to hold glue and can be adjusted without ill effect to the final product. The steps themselves are only marginally correct also, because final sanding needs to be done to smoothly transition between them and the cant frames. So, I wait for now to finish the deadwoods until I get the cant frames glued in place then I will make all of it flow nicely together. Trust me......  :-)

14 frames done so far - 0 through 7 and A through F. More to come.

Richard

Way to go Richard!

I am designing the lower deck now with the help of AOS HMS Diana book and I am kind of cutting things just to make it easier. The question always is Where you stop on detailing the ship. I like your mantra.

Best wishes.

Daniel.

I own the AOS Pandora book and looking at it I can see that WANG did all of his decks from that book. I do not know which would be more accurate for the Triton - Pandora or Diana or something else altoghter. The drawings for the decks supplied by this website do not show much detail, just the overall location of the rooms on that deck. I plan to use the Pandora drawings whenever there is a lack of information on the drawings supplied by this website. When the model is completed it will look good but may not be accurate.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Believe Richard I do understand you!

The Admiral and the kids don´t undertand why I am upstairs in the workshop for hours and hours and not watching sponge bob with them. When she see the progress I have done so far says things like " ah ha...nice" and that´s it.

Let me quote again a said from Kelvin12 back from MSW 1.0. I think was his signature:

" Seems women the world over don´t realize how important this building project really is. They expect us to drop everything and attend to domestic chores when this building is obviously way more important"

I think is totally a declaration of intent.

Are you going to drop the project and start a Swan class?

Regards,

daniel.

Boy, that quote would get me a punch in the face and a divorce!  Ha ha!

I drag the little lady off to look at my progress and her favorite line is "it looks just like it did the last time you made me look. When Are you going to learn that I really don't care about model ships. Don't you know we live in Colorado, not on the ocean?"

Nope, not going to be dropping this project. I was told this book would help with the building of the Triton. Even if it does not, I will still enjoy reading it. You can't have too many model ship books. 

Richard

You scratch build guys just amaze me....... I really can't give you any good advice on your build because I don't know that much

about scratch building, but what I can say is ,that whatever you'er doing Richard looks very very good !! Will be ckn in from time to time to see your progress.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hmm I would have thought EdT's Diana books would have had a better interior room plan than the Swan as it is at least the same size. Then again this Triton is much earlier than those.

Allowing I have remembered correctly and this is the 1771 Triton the NMM holds several of these

http://prints.rmg.co.uk/index.cfm?subSearchString=triton&event=catalogue.qsearch&searchString=1771

Plus they 'may' have appeared in Gardiners early frigates (or possibly Steel for that). Someone may have a copy of either so can give some more guidance on what went where as necessary.

Joss

Thanks for stopping by Frank. I scratch build because it is cheaper than buying kits but also more rewarding because I cut up my own logs to make the wood for the project. For me it was a no brainer to go to scratch.

Joss, I have looked at the NMM drawings before and it looks like those are the drawings that were used to make these Trton drawings - so not much help from them.

To tell you the truth I don't know what I am going to get out the Swan book but everyone reccomends it so I ordered one. We'll see how it goes when it arrives next week.

Richard

I must be mistaking what you are after then as every book in existence will use the deck plans for layouts. Unless you mean the deck plans do not provide precise detail i.e 1st lt cabin, wardroom etc etc. If so then this info is probably best got out of steel or similar where he labels his example plans in far more detail than you see in most plan sections.

The Swan book is excellent from a scratch building perspective, its weakness is you then want all of them and have to work years of overtime to pay for it....Ship modelling crack.

Joss

Joss,

We're all addicted to our tools, our books, and even our wood....   It goes with the territory. :D  :D :D  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Joss, you are correct. I am looking for more detail on wall construction, pumps, and so on. And you and Mark are also right in regards to the addiction of getting the rest of them. A malady that I must conquer every day........  :)

Funny you should mention the wood addiction too. My bedroom closet is half filled with wood slabs and boards for modeling. I'm afraid of getting termites!

Richard

Richard,

At best, whatever you do below decks would have to be considered an educated guess or a reconstruction.  As I recall, there wasn't much available when these plans were laid out.   I think you're on the right track using the TFFM books.  Other sources might be some of the AOTS books for frigates of the period.  At least you'll have a good idea of where put the cabins, storerooms, etc.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I received my Swan book - what wealth of information that is! A good buy.

Additionally, I have been installing frames from stem to stern and am now working on the bow cant frames.

I feel I need to install these cant frames first so that I have a reference line for the bollard and the pieces that go before it. It should be an easier task to just fill in the gap rather than start with the bullard and then make frame W.

So below is my progress so far. Mini-me has made a return to help with scale. I have glued the pieces together for the cant frames and have just placed them in their position to see how they look. I will begin fairing them soon to a point close to their final shape then I can start the filler pieces and the bollard.

Please pardon all of the rubber bands. They are trapped on the frames but will be cut off when the cant frames are done at both ends. They are still needed to hold the model in place when I glue in the final frames.

Richard

post-65-0-13038800-1386699170_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-76181900-1386699177_thumb.jpg

Nice work, Richard.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you all for the encouragement and thanks for stopping by to see my build log. Way more than I get at home.  ;)

Nothing really at this time to take pictures of. I used the oscilating spindle sander to sand down the inside and outside areas of the cant frames last night. That means the frames are squared off at the moment. Other than gluing them onto the keel and sanding in the curves I see no other way to get the curves correct. I'm thinking maybe I sand down the bottoms of them where they meet the deadwood prior to gluing because that transition point would be easy to screw up after they are glued in place. Again, I'm too afraid to do the upper curves off the model. Maybe I can temp pin them in place and brace them at the top???.........

Richard

Well done. YOur hull looks very impressive

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I must pop in and say "wow" your build is looking very nice. Been following it for a while, nice work. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

I have read that in the lower decks they would white wash the walls to help with lighting. I think it would also help the observer of the model see the details way down in the hull.

What would one do to "white wash" the lower deck walls? Of course it would be made of wood down there if it makes a difference on what to use.

Richard

Richard,

I guess you could either paint the ceiling or use something like holly or silver maple.  Might need a couple of lamps down there, though.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: