SaturnV's 1:48 Full Framed Triton Build

So, I'm working on the lower counter planking and in the TFFM books it states that Swan class ships do not have the two ports on the stern. However, the MSW drawings and everyone elses models that I can find show two ports on the stern. Which is correct? Dealers choice maybe?

Richard

Richard,

The Triton is not a Swan Class.  Go with the drawings on this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Richard,

It's all a learning curve, and for me at least, that curve is actually a straight vertical line.  :D  So don't feel bad.  We're all in the same boat, so to speak.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks! Working on the Wales. Should my planks be notched like they are shown in the AOS Pandora book, or not, like the Swan books show? There is no planking guide in the Triton drawings.....

Thanks ahead of time for any help with this.

Hi Richard

Much thanks for the link. You are right, it could be very interesting for more research.

I believe the Wale-Planking of the Swan must be suitable because the Triton was similar in time. The AOTS of the Diane is showing the same planking.

• 2 weeks later...

The Swan Class and then Diana and Pandora all have a different plan for the wale planking so I took a midway between them approach. My wales are roughed in and that has provided much strength to the model. I started yesterday carving out the space between the cant frames to make room for the keelson at each end. Used a Dremmel with a spiral bit to rough cut then sanded for a final tight fit. Next up is sanding down all of the frames to their final inboard shape - this will take a few weeks I'm sure. Will take pictures when I get something done worth showing....

Happy modeling to all!

Richard

i had a good idea just how much work goes into a full scratch build, after all i have been watching it happen for years, i just never appreachiated how difficult it was

lol anyone following my first attempt at a single  frame from the cross section build will see how difficult is am finding it and i tried my cotton socks at it

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

I like that shot.... well done!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Looking at the model with the light in front makes all of the wood blend together and therefore hard to discern the individual parts and the curve of the wale. Lit from behind all is black making the curve the only thing that can be seen. Plus the picture looked kind of cool so I thought I would share. :)

Sorry Richard, I was just trying to be funy :(

Did you actually have made the wale or is a tape to find out the shape of the wale?

I do like the picture, it´s like she is floating in the space, like the NASA SaturnV, like a dot on space. Yesterday I couldn´t see the point about the shot. If it works for you oh kill. When I made the wale I spent like two days meausiring the sheer plan and translating those meausures to the model with a square set. I could not see the final result till all those dots and lines were on the Triton. Your shot it is a clever idea but be careful with the measures of the top of the wale to the gunports lintels/ceillings.

Hope you understand me. (sorry about my english aswell)

Take care!

daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Hi Daniel! I can understand you, hopefully you can understand me too. :)

I measuered the same way - measure three times, glue once! It seems to be correct.

The tops of my frames have never been cut or sanded to their final height so it gets tough to visualize if things are straight. The gunport frames have not been sized either so height on the Wales can't be judged by that either. The only thing that counts is the wale height above the keel. Does that make sense?

Richard

Does that make sense?

Hello again Richard!

Yeah, it makes sense to me. The best thing about the wale is that you actually have a nice curve line that it is exact and true to the hull. This will help you (has helping me) to measure all the diffrent heights up and donw. Specially becacause with the wale in place I cannot put a square between the frames and I have no gantry-bridge to measure things from above. Next project I´ll do this for sure.

best wishes!

Daniel.

Ah, the gantry bridge. That is coming soon for me. I don't see any other way to get good measurements inside of the hull without one. Mine will likely be rudimentary as I have not the money or skills to build a nice aluminum one. I am off work all next week so I expect to get the keelson completed, the hull finish sanded inside and out, and then finally stain her so that I can finally see her true colors. Should be fun stuff.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Well, I have been gone from the forum for 5 years now as I tended to Capt' Buddy's medical problems and every other problem that found me along the way. Sorry to say that the Capt' is 13 years old now and has reached the end of his voyage. We will miss him very much and building ships will not be the same without him by my side. Once I get over this I hope to return to the Triton. It stills sits waiting for me, just like I left it, albeit a little dusty.

Richard

Sorry to hear about your fateful companion Capt' Buddy.

A Dutch friend once sent me a poem about the rainbow bridge, where all pets are made whole and healthy and await their human friends when their time has arrived.  Halped me through a rough patch when my first cat passed away because of cancer on his spleen.

Wishing you all the strength you need.

L.H.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

I'm saddened to hear about Capt' Buddy, Richard.  Losing a great and loyal friend is never an easy thing to get past.  My condolences.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...