SaturnV's 1:48 Full Framed Triton Build

Hello all,

So it begins.

I spent Saturday looking for logs to use for my build. I have a decent pile of Russian Olive to work with on this build. Tonight I will get a tally of what size wood I need to build the keel. Once I have that I will go to the bandsaw and tablesaw, cut the rough size boards, and then run them through the thickness sander to obtain the pieces needed to make the keel parts.

I have high expectations for this model - it is grander than anything I have tried in the past but I do so like a challange!

I will take pictures and post them as soon as I have something besides a pile of logs to show you.

Thanks for having me.

Richard

Welcome on board. I'll follow your log with great interest.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Welcome to the build. I am sure you are going to enjoy this. There are going to be times that you are wondering why you ever got involved in it and then you get it right  and you get going again. This is really a good experience with all the advice you get and the quality of the plans.

marius

HMS TRITON cross section marius

Welcome Richard,I'ts nice to have another person to gain knowledge from. 

Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Thank you all for the welcome - you guys are the best!

Russian Olive is a local tree in the Denver, Colorado area. It grows wild but is not native. The state considers it an invasive weed however I consider it good fortune. There are lots of them that are cut down or are dead so the there is a plentiful supply of already dry wood to collect.

It takes a nice edge, can be cut small yet remain strong and I like the color.

I am trying to figure out how to post a picture on the new MSW 2.0

Twas'nt hard on 1.0 but I will need some time to figure this one out. I can't do URL's......

Richard

The choosen timber looks really intersting. I've never heard before of it.

Regards Christian

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Heres is an article from a newspaper in Montana about their problem with this tree.

They should let me go in and cut it all down for my own use!  =) Of course I just want the trunks.

They can keep the small branches and the thorns.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/non-native-russian-olive-trees-a-nuisance-to-some-savior/article_57cef300-7f09-11de-bffd-001cc4c03286.html

Richard

What are the steps for on the aft and fore deadwoods?

In real life would they be made up of individual planks? Seems like it would be easier for me to make them from planks rather than cut them out with the jigsaw.

Richard

Richard,

I advise the TFFM-series from David Antscherl, especially the volumes 1 + 2 for building HMS Triton. Another very good source is Dan's build log about his HMS Vulture. It's another ship but the steps in building the models are similiar.

Regards Christian

EdT's Naiad is also and excellent reference source.  Problem is, there's so many excellent reference sources for techniques around here that one could spend weeks reading and researching and never get any building done. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for your input. As I go through the build logs for others I learn quite a bit and more and more this is all making sense now.

I will look into getting the precribed books for reference.

Meanwhile, I did some work over the weekend. Cut out the keel parts and test fitted them together:

post-65-0-83589200-1368454313_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-08171700-1368454321_thumb.jpg

Looking very nice Richard.Keep up the good work and keep posting,    Larry

Constellation by AL

Hi All,

Started the aft deadwood section. I cut out the pieces and have begun sanding them to fit each other. Used my new Jet 14" with a 1/8" blade - works very well. I just need a steadier hand and some practice but what I have done so far is acceptable. Once sanded completely I will post more pics.

Looked into those books you all mention. Pricey stuff! It will have to wait for a while before I can gather the money to buy them. Maybe the begining of June I can get the first volume.

Richard

post-65-0-65955400-1368724922_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-53984200-1368724933_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-35404200-1368724934_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-16779200-1368724935_thumb.jpg

Heres is an article from a newspaper in Montana about their problem with this tree.

They should let me go in and cut it all down for my own use!  =) Of course I just want the trunks.

They can keep the small branches and the thorns.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/non-native-russian-olive-trees-a-nuisance-to-some-savior/article_57cef300-7f09-11de-bffd-001cc4c03286.html

Richard

Interesting article, thanks for the post

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Beautiful work Richard, everything looks shipshape.

Just a note on references, Amazon has some used TFFM vol 1 at a bargain price, see link below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0975577212/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1368869860&sr=8-1&keywords=david+antscherl&condition=used

This covers most of the info you will need for the framing and should keep you occupied while you save up for the rest of the volumes ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

I will be going to Montana this summer and I will harvest some Russian Olive if I can tell between it and a pine tree :D  :D

Thanks for the link,   Larry

Constellation by AL

• 2 weeks later...

Keep going Richard!

Now I am sure that you are actually enjoying this project!!

I am going to print the full plan of the Triton (A0). The one you have already on your work table...

Best wishes!

Daniel.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some time this weekend to work on the Triton. My first attempt at making the steps on the aft deadwood was a failure so I made all new pieces and tried again.

Here is the second attempt. Came out better. Just need to so some cleanup work then cut out the steps on the other side:

post-65-0-01367000-1370875395_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

I have made some progress on the deadwood over the weekend. This is much better than the last attempt and I feel confident that I can move on to the fore deadwood now.

It is difficult to take a picture of a taper but with the right shadows it kind of stands out. Here is a picture of my work in progress on one side of the deadwood. I think I will save the final sanding of the taper until I get some frames made up for that area so I can get the taper to blend well with the frames:

post-65-0-43508200-1371484859_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-00885100-1371484860_thumb.jpg

Looks Good and nice effort with the photos. I like the first photo the best.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

All,

A couple of questions:

1) On the Jig Plan, is the "support post template" the height at which the plan should be placed above the the building surface? I think it is, but wanted to be sure.

2) Where do you all get the picture of the scale sized little man holding the stick? =)   I see this guy in several posts and wanted one for myself.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses,

Richard

For the little man screen shot the image you like then you can shrink to size in an image program. Alternately get a photograph of yourself and do the same (and really freak people out)