USF Confederacy by ChrisLBren - 3/16 Scale - Finished

Hi Gang,

After a hiatus due to my wife and I having twins, she's dusted off and I'm hoping to recommence this build.  I've attached some not so great photos from my iphone - the idea here is just to get a log started and motivate me to get back in the shipyard - for at least a few hours per week.  

This build was started back in November of 2009 using Chucks plans that later were used in the Model Expo kit.  The woods used were swiss pear from Hobby Mill for almost exclusively with the exception of boxwood for the decks and a little bit of ebony for the false keel and checkerboard flooring in the great cabin.  Im a big fan of Fiebings dyed swiss pear and used this method for all black areas with the exceptions I just mentioned.  I used three finishes, pure tung oil for the hull, Watcos Danish Oil for the deck fittings and beams, and diluted sanding sealer for the deck.  

My goal is to at least get the 6 lb guns rigged and installed along with the ships wheel hopefully by the end of the month so i can begin the headrails this summer if the twins cooperate....

Thats it for now - by the way the photo posts looks a bit different than the old Modelship World - any tips on the best size to upload so they look more standard/fill the screen ?

Chris

post-1070-0-54798200-1367938682_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-18045200-1367938694_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-71235100-1367938705_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-08186000-1367938732_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-42197300-1367938740_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-64471100-1367938759_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-17155600-1367938770_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

Nice to see you back Chris.  You can always get co-operation from the little ones by threatening them with "boarding school".

On your posting issue... after you've chosen the files and they've imported, click on each one in the order you want them using the "add to post". 

If you're still having issues, go here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/540-how-to-add-pictures-in-your-posts-and-pms/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank the gods your back Chris, it's great to see your beautiful Confederacy back on MSW again, really happy the twins and wife are doing well and you may get some time back in the workshop.

Will you repost all of your build pics if you get time?

Again - happy your back in the saddle and I get to see your wonderful build again.

Ben

Hi Chris, Great to see you back. :) I’ve been wondering how you and your family were doing.

I’m glad to hear all is well and you will start back on the Confederacy. I know grabbing time

will be tough but we know you can do it! ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gang,

An update at last !  Ive rigged and installed the rear cannon as well as the ships wheel.  As you can see by the profile photo - i probably should have mounted it about 1/32 further aft as the ropes arent centered on the drum.  And i think wheel stand is a little too tall by maybe 1/16.  Some corrections may be in order....

Stay tuned,

Chris

post-1070-0-13859200-1369424013_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-20371900-1369424213_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-78434100-1369424427_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

Hi Chris,

I also what to say that I am glad your back and that everything is going good with the family. I was watching your build from the beginning and will again be watching. Keep the pictures coming as much as you can.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Hi Chris,

That is one beautiful model you are making. One question if I may,should there not be slots cut in the deck planking to allow the steering gear ropes to move in a fore and aft direction as the wheel is turned ? The rope would wear out rapidly if only going through holes. Ed T shows this on his Naiad build. It would then be easy to slide the rope coils on the drum forward a bit to centralize them. Just a thought though. Maybe American shipbuilders didn´t do this.

Happy to see your build back on the forum again,you must be a very busy man with twins to keep you occupied. A 24/7 job for sure. :)  

Dave :dancetl6:

Thanks guys !  Ben as far as the wheel is concerned - I cheated - its a fitting from Caldercraft (its comprised of several pieces) and painted to look like wood.  I purchased it from Cornwall Model boats - not cheap - but was very impressed with the quality.  

Hey Dave - i will look at Eds build about those slots.  John and Joe - always great hearing from you !

Edited by ChrisLBren

brilliant work

love the stern view

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Simply wonderful!

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Good Morning Group,

I thought I'd attach these photos - another member of the forum was asking about them.  They are pics of the Quarter Galleries and Stern.  I scratch built the lights and carved all of the filagree and scroll work out of costello boxwood.  The humanity sculptures on the stern as well as the drops were resin copies of Chuck Passaros painted to match costello boxwood. 

These days it seems Id rather complete/tinker with existing builds (Confederacy and Wappen Von Hamburg) than start a new one - so you never know - i may revisit this area and replace the resin carvings with my own.  I plan on doing some carving on the WVH so i may get the itch.  

Chris

I just found your build log Chris, WOW!  I absolutely love the beautiful luminous color of the hull!!  What wood did you use?  Beautiful, beautiful work!!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Hi Chris!  We chatted a bit on MSW 1.0 before the Great Crash.  My wife had our twins back in March, so I haven't been able to get to the shipyard much lately unfortunately.

Your Confederacy is amazing - the pear looks gorgeous, both oiled and dyed.  And the carvings are incredibly good.  I've been doing research on my next build, which will probably be the Corel Unicorn and maybe the MS Charles Morgan as a parallel build - after seeing these pictures, I think I'm going to go with pear for the builds :)

Hope you and the family are doing well - hope you're getting some sleep too :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Joe, Mike and Geoff.

Good hearing from you Mike ! Congrats on the twins - mine just turned 6 mos and are sleeping thru the night - I never thought this day would come....

Pear is a great wood to work with - if you want any tips as to how to work with pure tung oil - let me know.  Its actually fairly easy once you get the hang of it.  

thanks for the tip on finishes Chris,  Swiss Pear and tung oil.  I will definitely be using those in future!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Congratulations on the twins! I feel like we have our hands full with just one! And this work is exquisite! Such a pleasure to look at! Looking forward to more

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy