USF Confederacy by ChrisLBren - 3/16 Scale - Finished

Thanks Druxey - i now spend a couple hours at night after the babies go down to visit the workshop vs watching TV.  As far as the next projects - I feel L'Orient is a notable subject - boggles my mind that I have never seen her modeled. In my opinion, one of the most beautiful 3 deckers ever built (sorry HMS Victory).  I plan on building Le Gros Ventre as a proof of concept/introduction into building fully framed and French Naval Architecture.  Then i will decide whether to build L'Orient P.O.B. or Full Frame.  I am 43 - so hope to have another 40 years in me or so.  And yes the wife knows both will be built in 1/48.....

Here is her figurehead

post-1070-0-06621400-1379078484_thumb.jpg

Hey Chris, hope you and the twins are doing well :)  Your build is looking fantastic as always.

I bought the Le Gros Ventre book/plans off of eBay this summer for a good deal.  Looks like a fun build.  I probably need another couple of models under my belt before progressing to it, but that's on my list too.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Fantastic build.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Chris,

You could be right on the time frame... especially if converting le Commerce de Marselle into L'Orient.   Is that even possible?   Or will you end up reworking the plans completely?   Hmm.. daunting and fascinating at the same time.

BTW, I'm hoping you'll build L'Orient as she was before the Battle of the Nile and not afterwards.  :)   Though I suppose an interesting diorama could be done of that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Chris, nice work on the headrails, I'm glad your getting time to build again, I just got back from European vaca and will be starting up again this week, seems forever since I touched anything!

So you are taking a big leap right into the deep end with those 2 future projects but I'm sure you will do great, I just worry about the worlds supply of Swiss pear when you start that monster 1st rate :-)

I too have started researching a future full 1:48 POF but I won't be starting that until all my other builds are finished, at least a year, but it will proberbly take twice that to do all the research.

Ben

Ha - im worried about the supply of Swiss Pear too !!!!  Welcome back from vacation Ben.  And thanks for the kind words Mike and Rob.   Mark as far as the conversion of the Commerce De Marseille to the L'Orient - its not that difficult - Gerard Delacroix included a supplemental plan sheet which has the figurehead Ive posted and the arrangement of the Poop deck to accommodate the 6 additional carronades she carried. Thats what I love about these Monographs - all of the research has been done for you - they are spectacular.  

Edited by ChrisLBren

Impressive work and nicely executed.......

Watching with anticipation.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 2 weeks later...

Man..did you actually carve that figurehead?

:piratetongueor4:

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Sweet.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Excellent work Chris - matches up nicely with the boxwood.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Sweet carving work.  I'm loving it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark !  The rails are my carving - the wolves and the filagree are Chucks resin copies painted to look like boxwood.  I cut them out of his resin trailboards and added them to my trailboards I cut to spec out of 1/32nd swiss pear on my model - then dyed with Fiebings.  Again nice to be able to rely on Chucks beautiful carvings for this part of the build.

This phase is taking forever (then again my time in the shop is limited).  It takes a good amount of time to cut out and sand a rail that fits your model to spec and then this happens - the boxwood crumbles as you are carving the molding. And im using a hard wood...

The scrap box is growing......

post-1070-0-44145600-1381021397_thumb.jpg

Now we need a "don't like" button....  Beautiful carving work that crumbled. I know it happens but I don't like to see or hear that at all. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ohhhhhh having flash backs!!!!! Even nice wood like box can still bite you in the butt once

in a while. My scrap box got so big I had to scrap the scrap box. Nice work and the good

news is I know that, if possible, the second will be even better than the first! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Chris I hope you gave a great Birthday! :36:

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Happy Birthday, Chris.  Hope you get your day in the shipyard tomorrow. post-76-0-84503900-1383967167.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark and Ben - enjoying this Zin and looking at the 118 Commerce de Marseilles Monograph.  Maybe its the Zin talking, Im so tempted to jump to this build in 1/48 after finishing Confederacy vs Le Gros Ventre.  Im 44 -  this 118 will take a decade at least if not two - maybe I should get started now - or at least next summer when I move to a house with a bigger workshop.  Structurally its not much more complicated than LGV - just bigger and more repetitive.  Sculptures are about the same in terms difficulty. And as far as I know - no model of her exists as L'Orient here in the US.

Hopefully more pics of some nice completed cheeks tomorrow….

post-1070-0-40826400-1383967978_thumb.jpg