USF Confederacy by ChrisLBren - 3/16 Scale - Finished

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys - your compliments are giving me some motivation to get back in the shop this weekend.  Work and the babies are making it really tough right now.  I can see the finish line - if i can just steal an hour here or there it should help me to get some momentum going again.  

A very impressive model Chris,

and beautifully built

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 months later...

Thanks Nils.

Group I am stuck - I haven't had any motivation to build (which is a shame because I can see the finish line on this one).  I used to work on Confederacy every day when I started her in Nov of 2009.  I do have 18 month old twins and can use that excuse but there are others on this board in the same situation as me.  About the best I've done with Confederacy lately is dust her off.  

I still follow builds on this site as well as the Ancre site and do research.  I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and buy the Le Gros Ventre plans blown up to 1/36th from Gerard Delacroix (I already own the monograph and plans at 1/48) and and start assembling some frames on that build.   Maybe sawing some wood for a new project will get me motivated again about ship modeling and enthusiastic about wrapping up Confederacy. 

This lethargy has nothing to do with not being happy with my build - in fact this one is the first build I'm proud of.  Can anyone else out there relate ?

Chris

Edited by ChrisLBren

Oh I can relate buddy, I have the same thing with my Confed, you are a lot closer to the finish line than I.

I did the Echo build and am well into my Pegasus build, with the Confed sat on the sidelines patiently waiting her turn, which will come I'm sure when I need a rest from Pegasus, proberbly when I complete the framing.

Do what makes you happy, start something completely different like the Gros. Just start modeling again and it will all come back.

" if you build it, they will come "

Ben

By all means get the plans and starting setting about the build.  Then at some point, you will probably pause and say "I need to get Confed off the bench as I need the room."  I suspect motivation will come.  If not, just put a placard on it that says "under construction".  

And I think keeping up with the twins would be an energy sapper.  ;)  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Chris, I'm asked why I have 2 or 3 builds going on at once. It helps me from getting "tired" of a build especially a

long term (3+ years) scratch build like the Confederacy. Mix it up, get the plans, have fun with the kids, do what makes

you happy! She'll be patient and wait until you are ready to finish her. Nothing worse than forcing yourself to finish a

model. Especially one that you have done such great work on. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi Chris,

you are singing my song.  this happens to me on most builds, I think your thought to go ahead and start on Le Gros Ventre is a good one .  it will get your juices flowing again. 

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Hey Chris,

Twins are exhausting, aren't they?  :)  Mine are almost 16 months (along with my 4-year old) and it takes a lot of energy for me after working a full day and coming home to my real job to get motivated to work on my model.  Lately though I've found a lot more inspiration, mostly from my interactions with friends here on our builds.  Plus, like Rusty, I started a second build so that I don't get too burned out on the first and step away from the hobby for months at a time like I did with my Badger.  Frankly, I'd be inspired just looking at your build or even the pictures :)

In any event, it's a hobby and like anything else, there are ebbs and flows.  In the meantime, enjoy the twins!  We'll be here when you're ready to get back into it.  :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the responses guys - honestly because my time is so limited - maybe a more complicated full frame build is not the answer - but rather an easier subject where I will see payoff a lot sooner - and I can focus on improving the fundamentals (planking, metal work, rigging, and possibly sail making etc). 

I've had my eye on this beauty for some time - Frolich built this one and called it a "ship modelers holiday" between lengthy builds in "The Art of Ship Modeling"  The price is about the same as enlarged plans of Le Gros Ventre @ 1/36th

http://www.editions-ancre.com/Product.aspx?ID=3807269&L=EN

Thanks for chiming in Mike - you know my world right now !!! 

Chris

I love the schooners.  Small builds between the bigger ones seems like a great idea.  With the job, kids, spouse etc a smaller build may be a great idea to keep your hand in it while still keeping obligations etc.  Family first, hobbies second.

If you want something smaller but to get used to full framing why don't you try an Echo cross section from Greg and David, also they don't take up a lot of room which you will need a lot of if you build that 120 gun monster.

Ben

Thanks Michael and Ben for your feedback.  Ben - cross sections aren't really my thing at the moment.  What's attractive about the La Jacinthe is that it is an elegant little ship - @ 1/48 the hull is only 19 inches long and rigged and masted it would be 30 inches.  Its shouldn't be too much of a challenge/stressful - but a great ship to focus on perfecting the basics while learning some new techniques.  I really want to fully rig and add sails to a model.  Theres some modest carving and metal work.  And only two guns.   If done right this ship can be a museum piece.  This example won many awards in Europe.  

http://5500.forumactif.org/t1490-la-jacinthe-de-snarlev-au-1-48eme

Based on my schedule a 120 gun monster is off the table for the next 18 years - I am going to give Confederacy a go again this weekend and see if i can get re energized.  But I've been in love with this pretty little schooner for some time now.  So we will see,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'd really be interested in something like this too. It looks like a really nice mind clearer and as you said

can produce a great looking model. If you do decide to do it I'll be glad to follow along! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chris,

Sharp little schooner that is.   The downside is that you'll have to loft the frames as I recall.  Which, might be something to energize you...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Even better then, Chris as bulkheads are a faster method than frames.  I was looking at Frolich and he doesn't mention bulkheads.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey Mark,

Frolich chose to draft frames and build it over a plug (much like building a ships boat) in the Art of Ship Modeling.  The most common approach is to use bulkheads - this Monograph is designed to be the introduction to ship building for novices.  You could probably cut out all 11 bulkheads and former with your scroll saw over one weekend easily. 

Chris

That is a pretty little ship.  Not too complicated but with plenty of challenges.  I usually do not like the clutter of sails but on this model they bring the ship to life.  You have a hard decision ahead of you.  I once quit modeling for five years because of a lack of motivation, although I would still visit the workshop several times a week.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Great looking steps.   I'll assume the top ones aren't ebony even though they look like it. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

An update !  Ive committed to setting aside an hour a night 5 days a week - and Ive added the fenders and ships ladder. The fenders were tricky to get right - I used an old planking iron to get the correct bend to fit flush with the hull.  

After i add the channels, I suppose i need to start thinking about some sort of stand - open to suggestions - Im bummed i didn't predrill the keel to accept rods so i can use brass pedestals. 

post-1070-0-34078600-1408726604_thumb.jpg