USF Confederacy by ChrisLBren - 3/16 Scale - Finished

NIce work, Chris.  And great progress.  So it's too late to drill and then epoxy in the rods?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work ChrisLBren!! 

Have you looked into the model shipways pedestals? They have wood screws and work really well. I used them on my Syren. I did pre-drill the holes but it wasn't too much trouble.

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Chris I am sure that given your great skill you will be able to find a way to drill the keel and add bolts to enable you to mount her on the brass pedestals.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - my first preference is to do brass pedestals on an ebony stained display board.  I think it can be done - Ill just need an assistant to hold the ship steady on the work table while its partially off its building board.  Ill have to duck under the table and drill each hole in the keel from the underside with a pin vise.  

I've ripped out the fenders and am re working them - i wasn't happy with the angle on the hull and one of them got a bit blotched by some Fiebings dye at the rail on a touch up.  I'm going on 5 years now on this build - might as well not compromise now. i have built a jig on my vise to make bending these parts easy and hope to have both sides wrapped up and on to gunport lids after Labor Day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Group,

Still plugging away on the fenders and I'm about finished with them - photos soon.  

I'm considering finishing the WVH - she has sentimental value to me.  The first step would be to sand off the wipe on poly - paint the hull tallow below the waterline, and apply my tung oil/ bitumen mix to age the planking that will be not painted. 

I've changed my mind so many times about my next project - so who knows (smile). 

Chris

post-1070-0-06591800-1413225517_thumb.jpg

She looks wonderful Chris.

I like your thoughts and it would be a shame not to finish her. Go for it! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 1 month later...

I guess it's almost time to have the quartermaster roll out the appropriate barrel as a toast in the offing. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hmmmmmm.....i keep wondering if you have documented the major part of your build....which is absolutely gorgeous by the way.......i've got the skeleton done and am waiting for the pearwood i purchased from jeff -such a nice fellow-......................

one thing.....did you use a pencil to simulate caulking?  it doesn't look like it.. i was pondering whether or not to do it, because of the darkness of the pearwood...maybe not as effective.....also wondering about treenails and how to accomplish this on the pearwood..i thought just drilling and pear dust with tung oil, or satin wipe on poly as an adhesive, depending on which i'll use.........and did you glue the planks to each other, or just to the bulkheads?...boy....if i could do as good a job as you, i'd be very pleased indeed!.................thanks, vic

Edited by yancovitch

Hi Chris,

I can't wait to see you finish her up. I doesn't seem like it's been five years either.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Ben, Rusty and Mark - here are the updated photos.  I will be adding the channels next in boxwood and dye their inverted knees with Fiebings black leather dye.  I will scratch the deadeye strops and chain plate assemblies (hoping to get a torch for Xmas), then its finishing the head rails and adding the stump masts/anchors and mounting her to a display board.  

Yancovitch - I did not simulate caulking on the hull planking - not really a fan of that look - and most museum models do not show this detail.  You can see from the photos that the Tung Oil finish I used did accentuate the lines of the planking slightly - which was the effect I wanted. I  used a number 2 pencil to simulate caulking for the deck planking.  As far as treenailing - at this scale i didn't want to bother with it - I do think think the drilling and saw dust method would work well though if you want to go for it.  All planks were glued to each other and the bulkheads to try to get as tight of a result as possible.  Hope that helps - and thanks for the kind words!

Happy Thanksgiving !

Chris

post-1070-0-97631300-1416516941_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-88678900-1416517041_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-97073100-1416517094_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-06908800-1416517119_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-84273500-1416517229_thumb.jpg

thanks so much for your response chris......i'm with you there regarding the caulking.....i feel better with your confirmation....i will do the treenails though, it tends to really show up the graceful lines.......just got the wood today......starting to feel my teeth itch :)......so happy to see your lovely shots ......cheers, vic

oh, what glue did you use for the planking?...yellow?white?ca?

Edited by yancovitch

Oh that is so sweet! Well done Chris. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks guys !  I've been searching Ebay/Etsy for vintage drawer/cabinet hardwood knobs to mount her on - thinking that would  look sweet along with an ebony stained/dyed display board.  That's the next step - as most of you know there is a slight warp on my hull of about 1/16th inch which I think I can mitigate when I mount her.  Then I can warp up the channels/chain plates, stub masts, anchors and head rails. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Thanksgiving and thinking the next move is to instead finish the head rails/head.  I'm going to change my approach on the head timbers this time - rather than the rear one - Im going to start with the forward most one first. That way i can get the angles right and just merely shrink them and then be able to slot them into the correct position.  At least thats the plan now....

• 2 weeks later...

beautiful work Chris,

lovely color scheme and warm Wood tone, I love it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Only the forward most head timbers left - and then its on to installing the rail and hopefully some pictures.  The Byrnes disc sander has come in big time for making these rapidly (as my scrap pile grows).  Id advise anyone building her to use a hardwood for these - I'm amazed Chuck was able to pull it off with basswood considering how fragile this structure is.  Trial and error is the only way I've found to make these vs using templates etc... This is by far the most challenging part of this build - Confederacy builders you are warned...LOL 

• 2 months later...

Hey Group 

I've moved into our new house - I've attached photos of my new workspace (which needs to be set up - I also have a three car garage and a large deck for workspace) and my study where I have a big wall to house a ship model (you can see the profile of the plans of the 118 Commerce de Marseille which would easily fit in this space at 1/48).  Its either this ship or the 74 - funny  aside -  I bought a smaller Weber gas grill this past weekend - the Spirit - and I'm trading up for the Genesis because the wife said it was too small.   So maybe I should go for the 118 built as the 120  L'Orient - since she says go big or go home ! 

Chris

post-1070-0-83142200-1430963657_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-89432200-1430963681_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-24287800-1430963715_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

Go for the L'Orient...  :D  :D :D  :D   However, will you have room for anymore models after that one? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: