Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Happy Birthday Shanon and a Happy Birthday to you too Sinan! :36:

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, Slow building this week, and no web access for a few days. I managed to cut a couple of knees to shape but looking at them today I might make them again, they are a little rough around the edges.

Have spent some time restoring an old hand saw which came up well once finished, nice and sharp. Was my grandfathers and I have a couple of them with different teeth sizes to tidy up. Photo below shows the finished saw and one that was the same condition to start.

20130425170516.jpg

I removed the handle and the piece from the top of the blade. The handle was washed with a degreaser to remove the grime then sanded lightly. Finished with an oil and wax. The top piece wax sanded and a rust converter used to kill the rust then a black etch primer sprayed. Blade I went over with a scraper to reove rust and dirt. Then rust converter to kill rust and followed with sanding with a fine sanding sponge (about 1000 grit) to polish. Lastly a coat of metal polish to keep the rust off. I inherited a box of tools from my grandfather and there is a few that need a bit of work to get them into a usable state.

Made some of the knees agan today. A lot better than the first few made. I have left the templates on them for now until they are finished as they are marked with each location so I know where they are supposed to go. Might be easier to start cutting the mortices with the template in place too. They still need sanding on the inside radius which I will do once the paint is dry on my sander. I built a table for the sanding drum that fits on my dremel (read cheap copy) for the really small curved parts, and they paint was sprayed on today to tidy it up. I will put pictures of this up in a few days.

20130428164554.jpg

Couple of photos of the sanding table used for the knees and other small parts. Built from scrap mdf and timber them a coat of paint to dity it up. Not bad for an hours work. Overhangs the workbench so the flexishaft fits next to the edge. No wobble in the sanding drum that I have noticed, but have only used lightly so far.

20130429154320.jpg

and in use

20130429160941.jpg

Here are the larger sanding drums I use in the drill press. Largest is 75mm middle is 38 mm and the dremel type.

20130429154224.jpg

Ok, I need a bit of help. I have to plans that look the same except for part 13 - the hanging knees.

These are on drawings labelled Midship Cross Section 1 and Midship Cross Section 12.

I have pictures of the difference below and cant decide which is the shape to use. I guess the larger piece has more strength and would be easier to make but which is more accurate?

20130501220418.jpg

20130501220633.jpg

In our original drawings, I see that the smaller knee was used for the lower deck. When we drew these plans about 6-7 years ago, we researched all the major framing members for general scantlings for this size frigate so that must have been where we got the size for that knee. However, if you want to use the larger knee, the shipmodeling police will not arrest you. :)

Russ

Just to confuse you more I went half way between the two. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Always get a answer fast here. I have contemplated for a couple of days and decided to try doing the smaller size and see if I can make these without them breaking. Otherwise will do what Rusty has done and go half way. The more I look at the two pics side by side the larger looks too large, but that could be my eyes and staring for too long.

So far that looks very good. The waste bits in the bilges actually looks very authentic. That is how it looks a lot of the time in the shipyard. :)

Russ

The clamp on the rear beam on the left is where I ripped a chunk out where I wasn't supposed to - should be invisible when glue has dried and other pieces glued into place.

I can tell the forst mortice from the last but I am pleased I only had to make one of each of the beam arms. I have spare lengths of timber set aside so I would be able to redo when needed.

Edited by Snowmans

Your work as normal looks great and your wood colors look great also.

Enjoy the ride.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Got a few more beams in place over the weekend, they need to get a bit of a sand to tidy them up but they turned out ok. I dont have gaps that are too big, so I am happy about that. Still shaping the knees to fit so that will be next weekends job, hopefully.

Latest pictures

20130519150105.jpg

20130519171344.jpg

20130519150117.jpg

Hi Snowman.

You are making a brilliant job of this build..

Your choice of wood and colours is fantastic and does you and the model credit.

Please keep the pictures comming as I have yet to do my Trition build.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Everything is looking very good. Well done! B) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Lovely work, Snowmans.  Very precise and clean.  And I'm with the others on the wood colors. Beautiful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with what has been said. The joints look good, the sanding looks excellent. The remaining mortices look very neat. Well done.

Russ