Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

I came in possession of this kit quite by surprise.   the box was fairly intact,  with only minor damage on one of the side panels.  along with it,  were a few assorted bundles of planking and a package of different size dowels.  one of the bundles was for this kit........

post-612-0-26071000-1368746700_thumb.jpg

I added it to the kit.......to the bundle of planking that was already in there.......I guess I'll have more than enough.  doing a complete inspection of the contents,  I found that I was missing a good deal of parts.

post-612-0-14515900-1368746860_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-95467500-1368746883_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-83929100-1368746899_thumb.jpg

I took pictures of the contents,  after I removed the hull parts........they,  at least,  are all there.   I contemplated renaming the ship,  but it would be hard to do,  since most of the ships that I know of,  all sport these tops {crows nests}.   some of the deck platforms,  most of the crows nest parts,  the cannon port lids,  and some of the deck fittings {wood},  is a pretty good tally of what's missing.   I see I'll be doing a good deal of scratch work.   the bones are all there......I think I can make it work ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

If anyone can pull this off it's you, Popeye.  Looking forward to the voyage!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

what is missing probably amounts to a complete parts panel.   the kit also was to come with a build slip,  but the only parts in there for it was the slip rail.  I put it together.......

post-612-0-39562200-1368748110_thumb.jpg

the keel parts were cemented together.

post-612-0-76877300-1368748161_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-43351200-1368748198_thumb.jpg

I got the instructions........I can get some insight as to what the parts are to look like.   this is so cool!  I miss the smell of wood.........after the hull is painted on any kit that I've done,  there is only limited wood fabrication to do......the small parts and fittings for the deck and mast.  even with the rigging,  which I love to do,  can become tedious.  this is probably the main reason why I amass builds the way I do......

not because I'm in the habit of not finishing a kit,  but that I miss the construction part of it......

making sawdust.   this kit couldn't have come to me at a more opportune time........it will make for a perfect companion,  for the kit I plan on finishing next.   well......anyway.........

the build slip came out of the closet.

post-612-0-96863800-1368748973_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-85437800-1368748984_thumb.jpg

I had punched out all the cast off from the bow stem.   I had already dry fitted and tested the parts.....a nice fit.   the build went on.

post-612-0-11178300-1368749283_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-44308300-1368749300_thumb.jpg

I added short pieces of 3/16 square stock in between the ribs to aide in locking them in.

post-612-0-09222600-1368749400_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-28336500-1368749412_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-23045600-1368749424_thumb.jpg

the hull frame assembly continued.

post-612-0-10951600-1368749464_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-50009100-1368749475_thumb.jpg

before the transom rib was cemented in place,  the deck joices were slid in place.  I went all the way forward to rib #6,  and all the way back to rib #13  {strange way to number parts}.

post-612-0-32270200-1368749821_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-09471000-1368749833_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-50293400-1368749890_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-37926500-1368749910_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-26446100-1368749930_thumb.jpg

the transom rib finishes off the frame assembly.  I will be adding short strips under both ends of the joices for support.

post-612-0-32470100-1368750015_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-37291300-1368750025_thumb.jpg

there are the bow rabbits that still need to be cemented in place. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thank you Augie and John for your vote of confidence.    roll the bones............darn!  they STILL tell me nothing! :)

I got back to 'er........now,  to make heads or tails of the deck platforms.   I was simply going to plank over the ribs,  but staggering the planks every  "1"  didn't impress me.   I did run into my first chigger.....in handling the frame,  I broke the thin bridge along the top of the bow stem.   I fixed it and put the cast off back in to protect it.

post-612-0-50328700-1368750709_thumb.jpg

you can see the supports for the joices I put in there.   the deck platforms I have are fitted in place.

post-612-0-34387700-1368750914_thumb.jpg

the main deck platform is supposed to be in two sections.......I did it as a single piece.

post-612-0-41309900-1368750969_thumb.jpg

after marking out the bulwark posts,  lines were drawn and the notches were cut out.

post-612-0-09270000-1368751031_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-24264600-1368751040_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-64604000-1368751047_thumb.jpg

there is a rounded section of decking that is to go at the bow.   it is to be level with the main deck.

post-612-0-33505900-1368751072_thumb.jpg

I got to this section of decking the following day.....in between working on the AmericA  {all of this was,  for that matter}..........the upper mizzen deck

post-612-0-39521600-1368751455_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-57629200-1368751464_thumb.jpg

I'm going to add in small pieces of square stock under where the bulwark posts are {underneath} to support the platforms,  when the frame is fared.   they need to be flush to the inner walls,  come time for planking.   this puts the build up to speed......I can update as I go along.   enjoy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I know John........my inability to keep one's hands out of the box........I am guilty.......I am sooooooooo guilty.   I'll be doing the Gothenborg, which is very close to her rigging stage.  this will make for a good companion,  planking the hull and decks,  while I do the rigging  :)

I have one other card to play as well..........you've seen it John,  remember ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great Scott------you're already at warp speed!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

"Damn it Jim, he's a shipwright not a doctor."    Ok.. so I misquoted... sue me. 

Popeye, you are amazing... models just popping up on the workbench as if by magic.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Popeye,

So this is the surprise!

Nice one  :D

I think you need to rent the house of the neighbours to place all those builds.

I have now an other one to follow…..

Now we can see the difference between the Corel kit and the BB kit.

We will see how it ends.

Bon Voyage with this one.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Popeye,

The Half Moon ..... What a surprise. animaatjes-smiley-met-bordje-65103.gif animaatjes-smiley-met-bordje-64395.gif

Will you be following the plans or just go with comes into mind?

Whatever you do, with your skills and imagination, she will be a beauty.

Enjoy this build.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Surprise surprise.... you've got yet another build going....  LOL and just kidding around. It looks like you have a great start and I doubt you will have any trouble with making up for missing parts. BTW, you need to update your signature. It's the only way we have track of all your builds.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Augie ;)

thanks Mark..............this hobby is sure amazing,  isn't it.

thanks Sjors and Anja..    yup,  this is the surprise.   it will be very interesting comparing the corel kit with the Billing's kit.  I'm going to be following the plans....they look good, but I will also be looking at pictures I may find of her.   it will be a good build.....thanks again ;)

welcome aboard Wayne..........thanks!

thanks Patrick.......well,  I have a reputation to uphold ;)   I can do a little rigging.........make a little sawdust........do some more rigging,  you know,  always something to do.   I will adjust my signature........thanks for the good word ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

If you need pictures of her Popeye let us know.

Anja has a lot of them somewhere…...

She have also a book about the Half Moon.

If you want anything to know, you know where you can find us.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I'll keep that in mind Sjors........I'm sure Anja would love to assist ;)

thanks Sherry........story of my life :)    got into this habit early.........build and paint,  then let it sit to dry with nothing to do.  so I'd work on another build until I can get back to what I was doing.   the wharf is a busy place ;)   glad to have you looking in.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, I've just fallen off me bloomin chair, :D  boy you really are traveling at a speed on this one. :o  :o

It was only yesterday I saw that kit in the box, now she's almost finished, well not really. ;)

Got my seat close by and am already waiting for a viewing position. :huh:

Have fun buddy.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

too funny Mobbsie...........I've just begun :)    I figure that by the time I get most of the planking done  {there's a lot of it},  I should be well on the way with the Gothenborg.........masting and rigging {the yards probably won't be up by then.......I'm not that good}.   it should be fun though.....especially having to make all these missing parts.   thanks for the good word,  my friend!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye so do I call you Popeye or Dennis?

the thinking behind your building strategy is perfect, by allowing yourself the change of tasks one is always fresh and exciting to work on.

You do seem to be inching slowly toward the "dark" side though with all those missing parts having to be made.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello Popeye,

Will send you some pictures and/or information about the Half Moon tomorrow.

That way you don't have to spend your building time on surfing the internet.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Popeye!!!...... you are just unbelievable !........ this looks like it's going to be another fantastic build from the "SPINACH KID" :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

That's a nice and sweet Half Moon you have there Popeye, I will be following along to see you do your magic on this lady :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

thanks Micheal......you can call me either ;)    I hardly ever did multiple builds when i worked with plastic.........I find wood builds to be more time consuming,  with waiting time a bit longer....for things to dry.   as mentioned,  it's a great diversion,  and I get to stay busy.

yes Anja {and Sjors}....I did get the pictures and stuff you sent to me.   I haven't had a chance to go through it all yet.......I have plenty of time though :)    I look forward in seeing you continue with your build   ;)

hi Andy!   not much left to do with the AmericA........next will be the Gothenborg.   the half Moon,  for the moment,  is merely for the smell of wood,  and the making of sawdust.

thanks Aldo.......there's a bit of scratch work to do on this bad girl......but I've been there before,  so it should not be too bad.  it's still early yet in the build.......lots of neat planking.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did a bit more with this build.....mainly cementing the deck platforms in place.

post-612-0-34226600-1368922315_thumb.jpg

the bow rabbits are now in place.

post-612-0-73096400-1368922372_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-96246400-1368922380_thumb.jpg

the stern deck platforms

post-612-0-28743600-1368922446_thumb.jpg

for that small section of bow decking that I had made,  I noted that it was level with the main deck platform.  a short length of square stock was cemented in place,  as a locator for the decking.

post-612-0-68180600-1368922647_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-22608400-1368922664_thumb.jpg

the fore castle decking was also cemented in place at this time.   after adding in two other short pieces of square stock in to support it......this bow decking was cemented in place.

post-612-0-19032700-1368922798_thumb.jpg

there are some parts that need to be added to the stern transom,  that will give it a distinct shape.  they were cemented in place.

post-612-0-11018600-1368922910_thumb.jpg

one thing I do notice with this kit,  is that it lacks any sort of ribbing,  that will aide in giving shape to the bow planking.   the rabbit shown,  will be exposed.....trapping the planking behind it,  instead of being used to affix the planking to it.   this I will have to experiment with.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

that would have been my dad......except his venacular would have been slightly different....LOL!   mum was the one that always stood by what I did......but I hear you though.    did a bit more on the AmericA.....even though during a work week,  I never do.   I'll have an update soon........on something  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: