Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

Nice planking job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks to everyone for your kind comments........work sure has a way of slowing one down.  now I have a bad case of  'catch up'

you must mean the bulwark posts Sjors.  these will not be cut out.....in fact,  more should be added.....something I might not do.  they are quite instrummetal in gluing the top rail in place.

I haven't had to use balsa fillers in any of my builds so far Mark.  if the planks are bent well,  the rest of the hull planking should go OK.  I am trying to limit the amount of glue...hopefully there won't be too many glue blotches.

since I got this build slip Brian.......I haven't had to make one.  it does make it easier.   I have the rail part from another one.....one of these days,  I can make a base for it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

you'll see a lot of differences between kits.   one manufacturer may add a bit of detail that another would not...that's what makes it so tough to choose which to buy :)     I don't know of too many ships that don't have supports for the bulwarks.   the contour of the hull is curved,  and the posts help to create it,  so I don't want to remove them.  it might even make sense to add a few more,  due to the shape of the wall going aft......I'll have to experiment a little ;)

thanks Popjack....glad you enjoy reading my logs........even happier that your following along  :)

thanks Marc......yes,  these blunt nosed bows are a hoot!  it's just like the Gothenborg thatI'm doing.  I don't use fillers...can't tell you why,  I guess it's the extra wood thing.  I have the tops of the bow walls sanded now.....they have a noticeable slope to them.  glad you following as well......enjoy!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looks real good Popeye....... don't worry about the glue oozing, just wipe it off pronto.... you shouldn't have any problem with the stain.

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

As usual Popeye a pleasure to watch it come together!

And I can Second Frank's bit about wiping the glue.  PVA comes off real nicely with a damp (not wet) soft cloth and some Iso Alcohol.  I sure have done my share of it to know :wacko: .  Not wet wet though, or it can loosn up below the wood - don't ask how I know, I try to forget :huh:.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

yes gentlemen......I have been doing that.   I wipe before securing the planks with pins and clamps........not to mention the sanding.  I'm trying very hard to make this a single plank....I think it will look better this way.   thanks for the good word!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Aldo.......good to see you too!  :)   my 'lil buddy hangs around me all the time......you ought to see him when I come home from work!   simply  spaz-stick!  definitely the  'runt'  of the litter........so demanding  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks real good Popeye....... don't worry about the glue oozing, just wipe it off pronto.... you shouldn't have any problem with the stain.

Please don't think I'm trying to be contentious,  but I find this remark curious.  Although a novice at ships, I have a fair amount of experience with furniture and I have had no end of trouble with glue.   Glue that is wiped off with a dry rag or finger is nearly always a disaster.   I have found if I wipe excess glue (woodworkers glue, that is) with a damp rag it lessens the problems, but - at least with the woods I've worked with- glue spills if only wiped seal the grain and prevent the wood from taking a uniform stain coat.  To get a proper stain or dye, I've had to either scrape or sand below the penetration level of the glue.  I've built with various woods, cherry, oak, mahogany,  poplar, and some exotics.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Edited by PopJack

no Popjack......your not missing anything........you hit the nail right on the head LOL!   I've been using a damp rag to wipe the excess glue, and I hope the sanding will further enhance the chances of a uniform stain job.   I've been putting some attention towards the Gothenborg at the moment........I hope to get back to the planking very soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did a bit more with the planking.......here are just a few random pictures of her so far.

post-612-0-18623900-1372039646_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-67860300-1372039654_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-25184800-1372039663_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32864200-1372039672_thumb.jpg

in one of the pictures,  you can see the turn of the chine { I believe it's the correct term}.   I don't believe this is the way it's supposed to go.   I think I need to sand these to more of a contoured curve shape.

more as I go.........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lovely planking, Popeye.  Just lovely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Augie and Mark......just a little at a time ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Coming together nicely Popeye.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I wasn't sure how the bow was going to look Sjors.........turning out to be another blunt nose.   I have to make adjustments at the chines though........planking isn't going to behave well,  if I don't  :)     I should have it finished soon.

thanks Michael......I'll be glad to get this build slip off the table...and get some room back on it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hee....Hee!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Popeye!

thanks Daniel.......gotta finish the planking  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have done more planking to the other side,  in order to even it out on both sides.   I have done some tapering to the planks so far in the process.   now that I'm reaching the chines,  it will require more.

post-612-0-12798100-1372736253_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-06722100-1372736264_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-42354000-1372736279_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-05697600-1372736289_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the thought was in creating the ribs with such an edge at the chines.   in past pictures of the hull frame,  you can see just how much of an edge there is.   this must be removed and rounded to compliment the contour of the hull below the water line.

post-612-0-78438800-1372736777_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-26617800-1372736799_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-83563000-1372736811_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye, :piratetongueor4:

Looks like that you have to give out some increase in salaries to get the Half Moon ready for launching, or are the workers employed on the other build?

Just joking Popeye, great job as always. I am quite sure that this will be another masterpiece to add to your collection.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

all jokes accepted Paul......LOL!     I've done a little more planking on her of late,  but I've taken these days to just tinkering with the Goth,  hoping to be able to make some huge progress on her.  I've got some more planks on the bend though.......I hope I can get back to her and finish it off.   then I can sand and stain.   I'm looking at the paint as well......and perhaps some decal work.   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

correct!   she will get some stain.   I have quite a bit of the Billing's Mahogany stain  that I'm going to try out.   once the hull is fully planked,  this can be done,  but there are areas on the stern and bow that will need to get masked off for paint.   I want to do something with the decal maker,  but I have a feeling that some of it will need to be done in paint  {red / white striping}.   I'm taking my time on the hull planking as you can see........I want the planks fitting good,  in order to get away from double planking her.  I've done a bit more....hope to have the planking completed soon ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nicely done Popeye, like Paul said, another "MASTERPIECE" in the works.......

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)