The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
canoe21

HMS Victory by canoe21 (Lawrence) - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:84

Hi Kevin, thanks for your encourgment, this is a great ship to build, lots of chalenges and things to figure out, this MSW Form has been a great help with lots of ideas to work on and choice from.   Regards Lawrence

Hi Ship Mates, the next picture is cleaning up the hull and perpering it for a bit of filler, it did not take very much at all not like my last build the Cutty Sark. I have lost or misplaced around 6 pictures they are- filling the cracks, priming the hull with white latex primer, painting the upper hull yellow, painting the hull black and painting below the water line a copper coloured latex primer that gave a good smove finish that the copper plates could be added. How ever some of these pictures do show up a bit in the pictures to come.   Regards  Lawrence

post-302-0-61949400-1369091852_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, picture 1 is bending the Wales, I found a tomato can that had the same rad. as the bow of the Vickey, as you can see it worked out well.  Second picture the Wales are all bent to shape.   Regards  Lawrence

post-302-0-75727800-1369096211_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-50163100-1369096728_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates,  here I have compleated the Wales, note over the white latex primer. The next picture is of the uper hull painting yellow and black . The first coat. Note the little tool I used to mark out the the Gun Ports Rope's for drilling the hull.  Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-53758200-1369097331_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-39897400-1369097576_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, this picture is marking the water line, I tried a marker but with the hull being painted I could not see it. So I mounted my Scriver on my Marking tool that I got the Idea from Shipyard Sid, David. this marking tool worked fantastic very steady and no shaking at all.I received the water line markings from Neale Foulds who is building the same scale as my HMS Victory, thanks again Neale Foulds. 

post-302-0-27851800-1369098506_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-44689900-1369098528_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-39315900-1369436129_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, this will be my last post tonight. These pictures are of the Water Line . I Scrived a full line around the Vickey and laid .010 x .020" Styrene in my scrive line, I taped it there and hit it with CA glue every inch or so. This gave me a nice line to follow in my Copper Plating.    Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-17796100-1369099132_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-65224400-1369099154_thumb.jpg

[

]

Edited by canoe21

Good Morning Ship Mates, I have decided to add a few more pictures to my log before I go to work on my build. I found a picture of the copper latex paint that i used as a base for my copper plates, the second picture is a little tool that I used to cut out the Wriggles .

post-302-0-43439700-1369141999_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-83429800-1369142020_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, I am still waiting for my paint to dry it's one of the bad things with oil paint, but I do like it. So I will post a few more pictures on my build as  I am waiting. The first picture is copper plating the hull, I tried to aquire some of that delayed contact cement but I could not find it here in Canada. I tried some rubber cement that was real nice to work with but the copper plates started to fall of with the sligest touch, so I went back to CA glue it sure dose hold them on but a bit hard to work with.

The second picture is of the Rudder Hinges that I made and the Copper Plating of the Rudder. 

post-302-0-58741300-1369167270_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-02878700-1369167294_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, this picture is of my Rudder Instaled.  This catches me up on the build of the hull, I have decided that I do not like those yellow plastic windows that came with my AL HMS Victory Kit. In mid March I ordered a Gallery Enhancement kit from Michael Gilmore over at Deagostine Model Space as it was on the same scale 1:84 as is my AL Kit.

During the long wait for my new ship gallery I started working on the other things on the ship, guns, bell and so on, I will start adding these parts to my log in an effort to catch up with my on going build of the HMS Victory.

Regards   Lawrence

PS My new gallery has since arived and I am very pleased with it.

post-302-0-72460400-1369168496_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hello Lawrence

Simply Excellent !! Your build is a joy to watch. You are really enjoying yourself. Keep posting the photos, you are making something special for yourself . Well done DAVID

Hi David, yes you are corect on that one the HMS Victory is a special ship to me, given to me by my wife Bernadette I hope to make it a very special build I hope. Or at least a bit better than the fantastic kit supplied by LA. I thank you for your kind words.

Regards  Lawrence

Hi Ship Mates, here I have begun to work on all of those cannons, first picture is the cannon carriages that have one coat of paint. the next is of the painted wheeles and cannon straps.

Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-83016400-1369180283_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-39112300-1369180302_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi David, thanks four your kind words. Yes I think the Vickey has come a long ways since Christmas, but then again being retired gives me a fare bit of time to work on my build. It sure is a joy to build and work on.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Ship Mates here I have a couple of painted cannons, the first are the 30 -32 LBS dummy cannons an the second are the 28-  24 LBS.

Regards  Lawrence

attachment=60678:5 32 false cannons.jpg]

post-302-0-37434900-1369184627_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-31469400-1369184592_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, a couple more pictures of the cannons and that will finish them of untill I add them to the Vickey.The firse picture is of the 42 - 12 pounders mounted in there carrages. The second is the 28  -24 pounders also mounted, at this I will call it a day.    Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-57556000-1369185157_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-20783900-1369185183_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Good Morning Ship Mates, I thought that I would add a couple of pictures before I head to the Rec. Room to work on my HMS Victory. The first is the ships boats that came as a metal slugs was to plank the hulls in wood and paint the insides and add a few seats for now.The second is the ships barrels, I saw some place in the form that these barrels that the hops were wound in copper rather than paint them, this is what I have did, only wish that I had marked down where I saw this great idea.

Regards  Lawrence

post-302-0-18989600-1369222497_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-10111300-1369222514_thumb.jpg                                                                                             

Edited by canoe21

Hi Lawrence,

Just found your build and glad I did. Looks like you are flying along there and doing a great job - she looks superb. I wish I had as much time to spend in the shipyard, but sadly that four letter word starting with 'W' is still a reality of life for me! Anyway, keep up the great work and I'll enjoy following along.

Hi Ship Mates, a couple more pictures before lunch, they are the Ship's Signal Flag Locker along with all the proper signal flags, cut in size. The next picture are the Ship's Lantern's.

Regards Lawrence 

post-302-0-82642800-1369234202_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-02564000-1369234223_thumb.jpg                                                                                             

Edited by canoe21

Hi Shipyard sid, David, once again I thank you for your kind words, I find this build so enjoyable that it most things that I work on turn out like they are planed, I do have a few failures or some parts of my build that not as nice as I would wish and I will go back and rework the things out. I hope to be caught up with my build log this week end than the pictures in my log will sure slow down.

Regards   Lawrence

Edited by canoe21

Lawrence -

You have some fantastic details for this build - enjoying watching you move along!

Hi gjdale,  Grant, Thank you for looking in on my build Log on the HMS Victory and for your kind words. Being retired sure gives me a lot of time to work on my build. I know when I was working in Montreal for a year and a halve as a consulatent setting up a factory. I statid working on the Bluenose 11 by Bill. I could only get at the most 1 hour a day at the most. When I returned home to Sutton, Ontario I only had the the hull and deck completed and painted. Things sure are diferent now being retired. Welcome aboard Grant, I am glad you are here.

Regards   Lawrence

Hi trippwj , Wayne, Thank you for your kind words. Yes I enjoy this build very much and I am trying to add a few things to it that will make it special for me. Nice to have you on board, your comments are alyways welcome.

Regards  Lawrence

Hi Ship Mates, Can not seam to get started today on my build the HMS Victory. I have not slept very well these last few nights as I have coughted a lot at night, sure anoid the Admiral but she still kept me. I think that I am coming down with a cold or the flue. My nexe picture is of the carpeted decks of the stern gallery, just to add a bit of colour. The second is a picture of the forward round houses built, planked and painted.

Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-30394900-1369248610_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-90368500-1369248636_thumb.jpg                                                                                      

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, Here is a little tool for installing the gun ports backers in preporation for the lineing of the gun ports that I got the idea from Gil Middleton in his fantastick build of the HMS Victory, I wish that I could achieve his skill level but that is almost impossible, but it sure is fun to try and that is the name of the game. My second picture is my ship's bell tower and the rail that goes on each side. Today as I looked at these on my PC all enlarged they sure looked rougth, the tops are chiped the top of these rails bitts are but 2 x 2 mm and cut fro walnut, a very brittle wood for such a little part, looks like I will have to go back and replace them, but not right now.

Regards  Lawrence

post-302-0-00845700-1369249957_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-00122800-1369249976_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-05554200-1369250005_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, here I have a picture of the two Carronades on the bow of the HMS Victory, they look os harmless in this picture but in reality the fired a 68 pound shot, seams like such a deviating gun, I sure would not like to be on the receiving end.

Regards  Lawrence 

post-302-0-28123000-1369250899_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, Back again, it's that I realy do not feel up to working on my build log today so as you can see I have spent most of the day looking at pictures to add to my log, if I keep up at this pace I will be caught up with my build log before I know it. My next picture is that of the ship's Catheads, I still have to add a few planks to each and paint the catheads crowns, that will be a challenge as they are so little. My next picture is that of theShiphead rail for the bow of the HMS Victory.

Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-77880600-1369252962_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-24035800-1369252986_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, well I have spent most of the day catching up on my build log of the HMS Victory, I am surprised at my self that it looks like a couple of more posts and I will be caught up with my build. The first picture is the Compass Deck Companion Way. The second is the lower Deck Large Grating and Stairs. Regards Lawrence

post-302-0-99742300-1369258898_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-48890500-1369258945_thumb.jpg                                                                                                                 

Edited by canoe21

Hi Ship Mates, Well it looks like I have caught up wilh  my build log after these two pictures. The first is the Little  Grating on the Lower Deck and Stairs

Regards   Lawrence

post-302-0-43837200-1369259520_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-69273200-1369259538_thumb.jpg

Edited by canoe21