HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Amazing job Danny ! And you actually make it sound easy... oh dear!  :pirate41:

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Thank you Mark, Brian, Janos, Druxey and Adeline.

Brian, I'll write a tutorial when I learn how to silver solder properly :D .

Janos - Birchwood Casey Brass Black.

Druxey, thanks for the new info about Yellow Ochre". Must try that soon.

One problem I had was transferring the heat in the right direction due to the round surface, another was the thickness of the pipe compared to the smaller pieces. My Micro Torch was inadequate for the job of soldering the two pieces of pipe together, and I had to resort to my "big" torch (see below) :

Butane Torches 003.jpg

Butane Torches 002.jpg

I kinda figured the big fella would have made a brass puddle out of the slides and handles rather rapidly :huh:  .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Dan,

very nice progress. It's allways a pleasure to read in your log.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Just dropped by to see the development. And then my jaw dropped to the floor. Darn!

What a fountain of knowledge and craftsmanship you are.

Rafael.

Built:

-bragozzo http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/member/867-artitec3/

-leut by MiniMamoli

-passenger boat by Artitec (resin kit)

Current build: paranza fishing boat (of the Adriatic) by Corel

On the shelf: Gulnara by Krick

I am enjoiying your build.......and fine work indeed.

I use my hand held micro torch and flux core silver solder to do all my soldering......you did a good job for sure.

What agent did you use for blackening/pickling?  I use gun blue on all my copper and brass and it blackens it up nicely and in short order.

Great log.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Nice work Danny.  However if you take a look silver solder comes in different temps dependind on the job.  If you go to Sante Fe Jewelry Supply and check out there website you will find them.  A jeweler will now and then use 2 different solders on the same piece.  Both are good just a few dgrees diffrence in melting point.  I have done hard soldering as well and I have found that after you solder a joint the melting temp has risen so you can solder close or next to it with out too much trouble.

David B

Thanks again Christian, Joe, Alex, Raphael, Aldo, Brian, Dave, Rob and David for your kind comments and words of advice :) .

Rob, I use a silver solder paste - medium melting point. For the blackening I used Birchwood Casey Brass Black which I bought from a gun store - similar stuff to the one you use I guess, but it doesn't work on copper unfortunately. It blackens it, but the black rubs straight off again :( .

David, I was aware of the different melting point grades of the solder paste. I only have the one at the moment (medium), it's not cheap (about $25.00 per tube but it goes a LOOONG way :) ) and I have to import it from the US - as I don't have a lot more multiple joint soldering to do on this model I'm holding off on getting any other grades for a while.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Breast Beams

The aftermost beam on the Forecastle and foremost beam on the Quarterdeck are known as Breast Beams. These are shaped differently to the other beams in that they have a rabbet to accept the ends of the deck planking and a molded spurnwater on the top edge. There is also a decorative molding beneath the outer edge:

Breast Beams 007.jpg

The beam was originally made from heavier stock in one piece to add strength to the edges of the decks. I chose to make them from three pieces - a "normal" beam, the rabbeted top and the molding. When all glued together there is no difference apparent as the joints are hidden.

To cut the molding I filed a scraper from a square ended Xacto blade :

Beam Moldings 001.jpg

Beam Moldings 002.jpg

Beam Moldings 003.jpg

To attach the moldings I used a High Strength PVA glue named Rapi-Bond which I found recently. This stuff sets almost as fast as thick CA, and has a lot more bond strength than the Fullers Maxbond I've used to date :

Breast Beams 006.jpg

Some pics of the moldings being fitted :

Breast Beams 003.jpg

Breast Beams 001.jpg

Breast Beams 004.jpg

Breast Beams 005.jpg

the fore

Cheers, Danny

Thanks John,

It sets enough in about a minute or so to no longer need clamping, even on these pieces which I didn't bother soaking first to follow the deck roundup - in fact for a few other flat things I did earlier I just held my fingers on the piece for a few seconds instead of using clamps at all :) .

It's just a fast-setting PVA, so I guess it's as chemically stable as the normal stuff.

Cheers, Danny

Splendid work on the breast beam, Danny, that is one very clean rabbet there, Sir, excellent joinery! B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Gee, thanks very much everyone :) .

I'm stunned, especially by the wishes from guys and gals I haven't had much (if any) contact with on my build log. I didn't realize there were so many following it.

EDIT - Sorry to all who posted Birthday Greetings, but I've deleted them (about 3 pages worth :huh:  ) to free up a bit of room on my build log. No disrespect intended to anyone, and thanks again for the wishes.

Cheers, Danny

if anyone doesn't learn something from you.......then they're missing out!   I find it very hard,  to look at a build,  and not come away some idea or another.   I watched you builds since the day I came here Dan........I am totally convinced that I will NEVER aspire to your level.

your THAT good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

What hasn't been said about this build?...Impressive! :)

Not only envious of all your toys but mostly of your talent.  :piratetongueor4:

Thanks for your time and effort in sharing.

John

Edited by Redbeard

John   B) 

Current Build: MSW 18 Century Longboat 1:48

Next Build:    MSW Bluenose 1:64

Thanks again Joe, Brian, mhegazi, Sonofagun, Steve, Guy, Popeye and John - it's nice to have this kind of support :) .

Hi all,

Not much progress to report on Vulture lately. I've been busy for the last couple of weeks - I reconstructed my Build Log of the "Norfolk Sloop" which was lost in the Great Crash (there's a link to it in my signature below for those of you who didn't see it first time around).

Only thing to report is the fitting of a half-door and light in the forecastle bulkhead. These are conjectural on my part, as there aren't any details of them on any of the NMM plans or in TFFM either.

I've made the light swing upward for ventilation alongside the galley stove. The lower part of the door swings away from the stove to allow the anchor hawse to pass through the bulkhead when being winched in or out.

Hawse Door 001.jpg

Hawse Door 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Nicely done, Danny.  Why did you make the light swing upwards instead of sideways?

John

Thanks John.

It wouldn't have swung toward the stove - too close for comfort. If it swung the other way it would interfere with the door alongside, so the only way I could see it swinging was upward. That way it could be left open for ventilation without getting in the way of anything else. The lower part of the door would only have needed to be open when the anchor was being raised or lowered.

Cheers, Danny

Excellent conjecture Danny, makes perfect sense, beautiful work on the light and half doors too B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Dan, I have just now discovered you log. Somehow I guess I never found it when scanning the site. I am totally fascinated at your skills and abilities. Quite a project and I'll be following it closely.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I am speechless. Your work is absolutely amazing!

The attention to detail is phenomenal.

I will be watching in awe as this build progresses and could only dream of learning a few basics from you.

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October