HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Beautiful workmanship on the deck planking Danny.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks again Michael and E&T.

The Treenailing is all finished as far as the decks are concerned. I've filed all the "nails" down with a Riffler File and sanded both decks with 600 grit paper. They have received their first coat of Minwax Wipe-on Poly :

Treenails 003.jpg

Treenails 004.jpg

Treenails 005.jpg

Treenails 006.jpg

Treenails 008.jpg

Treenails 010.jpg

Next will come the Timberheads and Swivel Gun Mounts, along with the Caprails and Bulwark Planking. These will add a much more "finished" look to the upper hull.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

The planking really does look sharp!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Danny

I just love that model of yours, all the high skill work is presented by non hiding the fabulous wood juctions and fitting out work from beginning on...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for looking in, and the kind words John, Michael, Grant, Joe, Nils, Randy, Jeff, Gerty, Ron and Ben - much appreciated :) .

Bulwark Spirketting

I've fitted all the Bulwark Spirketting that I intend to do. The Port side is completely covered, and I've fitted half of them to the Starboard side Quarterdeck to cover an error I made very early in the build - about eight of the frame Toptimbers were a couple of millimetres short. I didn't discover this until WELL after the time had passed to correct them :( .

Bulwark Spirketting 001.jpg

Bulwark Spirketting 002.jpg

The piece above the Cathead was rather interesting to make :) :

Bulwark Spirketting 003.jpg

Bulwark Spirketting 004.jpg

Bulwark Spirketting 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thank you Brian and Wayne, and all those who hit the "Like" Button :) .

The majority of the hull and deck planking is now completed. It was a lot of fun, and I got better at it as I went, but it was also very tedious work at times and I'm glad that stage is over with. Now come the more "interesting" parts of the build :D .

Gun Rigging Redo

Before going any further I figured it was about time I re-did the Rigging on the four guns in the waist that are completely visible. You may recall that I mentioned earlier that I wasn't 100% satisfied with the ropes that I'd used at the time. Now that I have the excellent rigging line from Chuck (Syren Ship Models) I'm going ahead with it.

I won't attempt to do the four guns under the forecastle and quarterdeck, as the rigging is barely visible and it would be extremely difficult to do them anyway. What can be seen of the rigging on these guns is quite acceptable to me.

I started by brushing Isopropyl Alcohol on the glue holding the trucks to the deck, and also the eyebolts for the breeching line. All pieces came off the ship easily. Then I did the same for the seizings on both breeching lines and side tackles. I wanted one piece of each intact to use for measurements. Again, everything came apart easily :

Rigging Redo 001.jpg

Rigging Redo 002.jpg

Rigging Redo 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

its so much fun watching your build Danny :)

not only showing use amazing craftmanship but teaching us newbs the correct terminology

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

did the deck clean up OK,  or did you need to refinish it?  cannons are very nicely done.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks again John, Adrieke, Popeye and Ron.

Popeye, the deck cleaned up without any problems. The Isopropyl doesn't soften the Minwax finish. The scuff marks you can see is where I'd previously scraped off the Minwax to get good adhesion - the guns will be glued over those spots again.

Ron, I used a needle file to round the blocks.

Cheers, Danny

I've re-made all the rigging for the four guns, and re-fitted the first one. I'll have to fit the side tackles in a couple of days, as I'm about to head off to work.

Rigging Redo 005.jpg

Rigging Redo 008.jpg

Rigging Redo 009.jpg

The quality of Chuck's line is very apparent in the pics, especially when compared to the line I'd used previously (lower pic is the old one - obviously :D ) :

Rigging Redo 006.jpg

Stained Breeching.jpg

Even the 0.2mm line for the side tackles is just as good. Great definition, not even a hint of "fluffies", and very easy to work with :) :

Rigging Redo 007.jpg

I'll definitely be getting the rest of my line from Chuck :) .

Cheers, Danny

nice work as always Danny.... really like the color of your deck!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Those are some very neat seizings on the gun tackles Danny.  I also very much like the colour of the rope in one of the photos; is that the actual colour of the rope made by Chuck and a few of the other photos justshowing them a little washed out?  If so, that would be the most realistic rendering of manilla rope I have seen  (sisal would have been to stiff for this application).

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Lovely work, Danny.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Frank, John, Pat, Ben and Mark :) .

Pat, the fourth pic in my previous post is as close to the "real" colour of Chuck's rope as I can get it. The others ARE a little paler due to different lighting angles.

I've finished Re-Rigging all the guns. To hold the rope coils in place I used a Fabric Setting gel used by seamstresses etc to glue down hems before sewing them. I can't vouch for the longevity of the product for this application, as it washes out with water. I may have to use some dilute PVA at a later stage if it looks like the coils will come undone.

The coils are still damp in these pics, and will take a more natural colour when the setting gel dries.

Rigging Redo 010.jpg

Rigging Redo 011.jpg

Rigging Redo 012.jpg

Rigging Redo 013.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

The coils look great.  The only other way, besides PVA, I can think of is fabric glue.  The stuff is supposed to be invisible and water proof or at least resistant.  I used it on my Constellation for the ratlines and then everything else that was "rope".  Seems to do the job.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)