HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks for checking in again Michael, Jeff and Brian.

Making the Timberheads

There are 40 Timberheads to fit on Vulture - 16 on the forecastle and 24 on the quarterdeck. Almost every one has different angles cut into them, as they are vertical to the frames but are also following the sheer of the decks in the longitudinal direction.

I made a jig to hold the pieces while I cut and file them to shape. The jig's angles will be recut as I progress along each deck - it remains to be seen whether this idea will work, but I'm fairly confident it will.

Timberheads 001.jpg

Timberheads 002.jpg

I've cut a shoulder into the bottom of them to give them added strength where they go through the planksheers. They also fit into the top of each frame by 1.5mm :

Timberheads 003.jpg

The first one fitted - only 39 to go :huh:  :

Timberheads 004.jpg

Timberheads 005.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

time to get hte mill out.  The jig will help.   I'd like to see it in use.  Such a big help to modeling.  Great work, Danny

Maury

Yeah Greg - although as I mentioned before they are all different :D .

Maury - I'm using the Byrnes Saw instead of the Mill.

Using the Timberhead Jig

Before the questions are asked about how I use the Timberhead Jig - here's how.

1. I file the two inboard and outboard tapers using the wide slot :

Timberhead Jig 001.jpg

Timberhead Jig 002.jpg

2. I transfer the piece to the narrow slot and file the fore and aft tapers :

Timberhead Jig 003.jpg

Timberhead Jig 004.jpg

3. I cut the shoulders for the moldings using a sharp flat Xacto chisel :

Timberhead Jig 005.jpg

4. The shoulders are rounded off with a needle file :

Timberhead Jig 006.jpg

5. Using the jig I cut the top of the lower step all around on the Byrnes table saw :

Timberhead Jig 008.jpg

6. I cut the piece to length :

Timberhead Jig 009.jpg

7. Using the chisel I cut the lower step to size :

Timberhead Jig 010.jpg

8. Finally I round off the corners of the step to fit the oval hole cut through the planksheer :

Timberhead Jig 011.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Nice... a great way to do it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very clever jig.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Great tutorial!

Maury

Thank you, and you're most welcome Mark, Remco, Christian, Grant, Jeff, Maury and Neal :) .

Forecastle Planksheers

The Planksheers for the Forecastle and Quarterdeck need to be fitted before I can continue with the Timberheads.

For the quarterdeck I could soak and laterally bend the four required as they only have a shallow bend. Here's the first one fitted - there is a smaller piece still to be fitted on the inboard side :

Planksheers 005.jpg

The four on the forecastle are a bit trickier. I cut these from wide stock. Fitting the forward one around the Knightheads was quite a task - I had one reject, and used at least 30 "dry fits" on each before I was happy with the result :

Planksheers 003.jpg

Planksheers 002.jpg

Planksheers 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

No worries Elmer - plenty more where that came from :D .

I've finished fitting all the Planksheers. The port quarterdeck one is completely finished, others are in various stages.

Planksheers 006.jpg

Planksheers 007.jpg

You can clearly see the two-piece construction on the forecastle ones. This is necessary (even on the real ship) as it is impossible to fit the planksheer over the timberheads owing to the changing angles of the latter.

Don't forget, I'm "cheating" here - I'm not making the timberheads as part of the top timbers. I find it much easier to cut the moldings into their tops on the bench rather than on the ship ;)  .

Planksheers 008.jpg

Planksheers 009.jpg

Planksheers 010.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thank you to all the guys who hit the "Like" button for my last post :) .

Forecastle Timberheads

I've marked and drilled the slots for the Timberheads, and also made and dry-fitted 8 more of them to check if the angles were going to need changing yet. Fortunately all the Forecastle ones are straight, so I can make 8 more before I have to adjust my jig. The bad news is that all the quarterdeck ones will need to be cut on at least four different angles - it could have been worse :D .

Timberheads 003.jpg

Timberheads 002.jpg

Timberheads 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Very nice work on the planksheers Danny.  And - that's not cheating - its being 'creative' or practical :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Everything looks fantastic.  I love the jig for the timberheads.  I can't imagine cutting out the timberheads neatly while still on the ship.  "Cheating" seems to be the only reasonable way to go.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Very well done Danny! B)  And what a nice contrast between the different wood colours, good choice!

About the timberheads, are they supposed to be the end of the frames on the real ship? Is that why you mention cheating?

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Very well done Danny! B)  And what a nice contrast between the different wood colours, good choice!

About the timberheads, are they supposed to be the end of the frames on the real ship? Is that why you mention cheating?

That is correct Adeline.

Cheers, Danny

Danny, Why don't you re-post your Jig tutorial in the Jig section.  It is a great help to see how these things work.

Maury

Danny,

I love jigs! Great execution and forethought. Enjoying every step of your journey :)!

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Thanks Maury and Bill - I'll get around to doing that.

Quarterdeck Timberheads

I've finished making all the straight timberheads and now I need to make the angled ones for the quarterdeck.

First thing to do was determine the angles. I'm starting with the shallowest near the fore of the deck. I've used my digital level to get the first angle :

Timberheads 006.jpg

Then I marked the angle on my jig on both sides of the wider slot, and cut the sides of the slot :

Timberheads 007.jpg

Then I filed and cut the steps etc as before. A wedge holds the piece in place while I cut or file it :

Timberheads 008.jpg

Timberheads 009.jpg

As I progress aft the angle will increase. Each needs to be measured, and the jig re-cut to suit.

Cheers, Danny

Thanks John, it would have been a LOT more difficult without the jig :huh:  .

All the timberheads are finished and installed. The pic below shows how much difference there was in the longitudinal angles, remember that the ones near the waist were straight :

Timberheads 011.jpg

Timberheads 012.jpg

Timberheads 013.jpg

Timberheads 014.jpg

Timberheads 015.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Danny that is great work on the timberheads; I wasn't aware the angle of the 'head' also sloped to conform with the caprail etc  - live and learn - thnanks for the education along the way.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)