HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thank you Michael and Patrick :) .

With the stanchions, are you just gluing these down? If the sheaves were going to be in use with rigging would you secure them any differently?

The stanchions are pinned (with bamboo) and glued with PVA - you could hang the entire ship from them quite confidently, they are attached that strongly :D . And they WILL be used for rigging.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Danny, thanks for such a detailed log! It's an endless source of inspiration and hints for less experienced builders, like me :)

P.S.: the color scheme is interesting, I'm thinking about POF model with similar wood combination - swiss pear frames and beams, boxwood hull and deck planking, mixed wood for fittings. Your log gives a very good overview of that color combination!

Dan, fantastic progress in the last month. Really wonderful

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Danny,

Always a joy to look in on your build. 

I may have missed this, or more likely forgotten, but are you going to rig her?

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you John, E&T, Mike, Christian and Allan.

the color scheme is interesting, I'm thinking about POF model with similar wood combination - swiss pear frames and beams, boxwood hull and deck planking, mixed wood for fittings. Your log gives a very good overview of that color combination!

It looks even better in "real life" Mike :D .

are you going to rig her?

Yes Allan.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Taffarel

The stern structures begin with the Taffarel Base.

I started by making a "building board" which has the same curvature as the stern. I used a couple of pieces of pine - the lower convex one is the actual board, and the concave one is used to clamp the pieces of the taffarel whilst they are drying :

Stern Decorations 001.jpg

Stern Decorations 003.jpg

Stern Decorations 005.jpg

Continued next post .....

Cheers, Danny

...... continued.

I made the taffarel base from three pieces. This will save a lot of carving, and won't be at all noticeable.

Stern Decorations 004.jpg

I drilled out the bulk of the inner parts of the top section, glued it to the middle section and clamped it into the baseboard to dry :

Stern Decorations 006.jpg

Then I finished the outer edges and glued the pieces to the main lower piece and clamped it again. I spot-glued the main piece to the baseboard - this will ensure it doesn't straighten out and also gives a good steady rest for the carving etc :

Stern Decorations 007.jpg

Once the three pieces had dried I started carefully carving and cutting the waste out of the middle holes. This was relatively easy, thanks to the earlier removal of most of the waste :

Stern Decorations 009.jpg

Stern Decorations 010.jpg

Stern Decorations 011.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks John.

Can I ask why you glued the three pieces together before finishing the carving - was it for strength?

Yes. The upper piece is only about 1.5mm wide and of course has a lot of sections where the grain runs directly cross-wise. I was worried that it would have snapped in numerous places if I'd tried to cut out all the middles before gluing it to something more substantial. This method worked very well :) .

Cheers, Danny

Thanks David - the wood for the taffarel is Castello Boxwood. I'm using dark Swiss Pear for the Capping Rail.

Thank you Greg - I imagine it would have taken quite a while to hollow out all the Coving from one piece :huh:  . I notice you didn't fit the Capping Rail or Quarter Pieces to your Pegasus - any reason for that? It would have been nice to see it all fitted to your ship - it was a little difficult trying to imagine the whole assembly from the plans.

Thank you too Al.

Capping Rail

The Capping Rail is very tricky to make. I traced around the taffarel to get the inner shape for the five pieces which I cut on the scroll saw from dark Swiss Pear to match the rest of the railings. Much finessing was need to get a good fit :huh:  . I found it best to work from the centre toward the ends :

Capping Rail 002.jpg

Capping Rail 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks for looking in again, and the nice comments Geoff, Brian, Ben, John and Spyglass.

did you HAVE to start on your stern just as I started on mine. Not that I feel inferior or anything !! just differently skilled !

Sorry about that Spyglass, I didn't realize that you were up to the same stage :D . Besides, the construction of your Pegasus is quite a bit different to mine :D . You're doing a fine job.

Ensign Staff Block and Clamp

There are a few more things on the taffarel that need doing prior to fitting the assembly to the ship. One of these is the Block and Clamp that hold the Ensign Staff, enabling it to be easily removed.

The block is stepped into the fore edge of the taffarel and has two small molded sections at it's ends,

The clamp is very similar to a Gun Trunion Cap, so I simply used a slightly modified spare that I had (I only had to enlarge the diameter of the half-hole slightly) :

Ensign Staff Clamp 001.jpg

Ensign Staff Clamp 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks again Druxey, David and John.

Quarter Pieces

The Quarter Pieces on most Swan Class Sloops are elaborately carved, but the sheer plan of Vulture shows very plain ones. Whether this is correct or not I don't know - perhaps the draughtsman was just lazy :D . I've treated them in similar fashion to the Pilasters of the Quarter Badges and Stern Lights.

To overlap the joints between the hull planking and counter planking I hollowed out the pieces :

Quarter Pieces 001.jpg

Some progress pics through the stages of fitting them up :

Quarter Pieces 002.jpg

Quarter Pieces 003.jpg

Quarter Pieces 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The finished stern for now - I'll fit the three remaining Lights much later in the build, as they will be in the open position and may get damaged during further construction :

Finished 001.jpg

Finished 002.jpg

Finished 003.jpg

The Pilasters are of similar design to the Quarter Badge ones :

Pilasters 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Very very nice Danny the flagstaff clamp is really sharp, the rest is super as well. You mention it was a spare trunnion clamp is there a picture in your build as to how you made them? with out me having to go looking to far.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

You mention it was a spare trunnion clamp is there a picture in your build as to how you made them? with out me having to go looking to far.

Michael

They are one of the few things I didn't make from scratch - they came with the Gun Barrels which I bought from Ukraine.

Thank you David :) .

When does the carving start?

Probably never John - carving isn't one of my strong suits :( . But ..... we'll see. I might get better at it, I can always add carvings later on :D .

Cheers, Danny

Danny this is one amazing build, haven't looked in for awhile ......the progress you have made is just outstanding!!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Dan, the stern looks fantastic. Your workmanship is inspiring.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Once again a neat blend of craftsmanship and ingenuity Danny. She continues to look better every day.