HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks Toni, E&T, David and John.

Toni, I made a Scraper :

Molding Scraper 002.jpg

Molding Scraper 001.jpg

I've made all four Upper and Lower Cheeks. The upper ones have a more pronounced curve in the forward arm, and also a scarf joint for the Hair Bracket which continues to the top of the stem :

Cheeks 005.jpg

Cheeks 007.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Very clean work Danny, the result is stunning and makes a difficult shaping task look easy - always the sign of a good tradesman.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Such control and mastery over the medium!!    The parts themselves are works in and of themselves - continues to be inspiring sir!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks again for dropping by Janos, Pat and Adam. Your comments are appreciated :) .

Moving right along, I've fitted the Upper Cheek to the port side in the following pic :

Cheeks 008.jpg

The Manger Scupper caused me a few worrying moments, as it was halfway into the cheek. I came up with the following solution :

Cheeks 010.jpg

Before fitting the lower cheek I made the Trail Board, which fits between the two cheeks on the stem. This gave me a perfect alignment, as I only have to butt the lower cheek to it's bottom edge.

Trail Board 001.jpg

Next I glued in the Trail Board, closely followed by the lower cheek :

Cheeks 012.jpg

Cheeks 011.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Hair Brackets

The Hair Bracket is an extension of the upper cheek, and continues it on to the top of the stem.

I made a card template of it's shape and cut it from the same stock I used for the rest of the cheeks. The bracket starts off quite thin where it joins with the cheek, but widens considerably as it rises :

Hair Bracket 001.jpg

A finished bracket with the blank for the starboard side on the left :

Hair Bracket 004.jpg

Considerable work was involved in adding the moldings and shaping the scroll. I'd have liked to have done better with the scroll, but I was at the limit of what I could achieve with Swiss Pear - it's too soft for really detailed carving :

Hair Bracket 003.jpg

The port side bracket dry-fitted :

Hair Bracket 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Your work is inspiring as always Danny. Great work!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Dan.  Have just come across your build log. Absolutely awesome and happening here in Oz.

There is several days worth of reading and digesting in front of the fire. Will watch your progress from here with much interest.

Well done.

Alan

so cool to see scribed lines in wood.........extra fine detail.....;)    I don't post 'cuz so many are......they say what I think.......it's superb work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Are you scribing freehand? You seem able to get beautiful parallel lines: if you are not using a former then you are a true sculptor!

I'm just echoing what many have already said but it's worth saying again, just incredibly inspiring.

Al "San Fransisco I ", Bashed Al "Santa Maria", Scratch-built  Chinese Trading Junk

Looking really nice Danny - I'm at a similar point on Confederacy - i know how difficult it is to scribed parallel grooves on the headrails and cheeks.  Ben to answer your question - swiss pear is softer to carve than box.  Euro box is the best if you can find it, costello box almost as good.  I had some costello crumble on me while attempting these rails on my build.  Can't imagine them coming out half as good as yours Danny in swiss pear - kudos !

Chris

You have an amazing build going on there. Real neat and tidy work. Love it. Everything looks like it fits neat and flush.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Dan, you have a lot of good ideas, and hope that you don't mind that we take some of yours ideas to use

All the best, and wait new ideas

Cristi

Edited by cristikc

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

Thank you John, Patrick, Ben, Alan (welcome aboard), Popeye, Mark, Chris (thanks for answering Ben's question, all points correct :D ), Scott and Cristi (copy whatever you like :) ). Comments are always appreciated :) .

Wash Cants

These pieces are very rarely seen on models, but I thought I may as well add a bit more detail ;) . The Wash Cants are designed to take the strain off the Lower Cheeks from the incoming waves, and are shaped to deflect the water away from them.

First thing to do was cut a blank using a card template and then get it to fit snugly against the hull and stem. Then I used a drum sander in my Dremel to take off the bulk of the material between the upper outer edge and the lower inner edge, finishing with a sanding stick. Then I used a round sanding stick to cut a slight concave into the seen face - this shows up a lot better in "real life" than it does in the pics.

Here are a few pics of the port side wash cant against the blank for the starboard side. If you've ever shaped an aeroplane propeller then you can appreciate the work involved in this piece - a very similar thing :

Wash Cant 001.jpg

Wash Cant 002.jpg

Wash Cant 003.jpg

I've tack glued the port side one in place just for this pic, it still needs a bit more detailing :

Wash Cant 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Cudos Danny. 

I do not recall seeing mention of it earlier in your build, but I may have missed it. What materials are you using for trennals, bamboo or something else? 

Thanks for continuing to share your build.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you Remco, David, Grant, Allan and Ben.

What materials are you using for trennals

Bamboo for treenails, blackened brass wire for bolts.

how many attempts Danny?

One :D .

Cheers, Danny

Danny my boy you need to kick back and take a stiff one soon.  Otherwise you are going to go to lala land and we do not want that to happen. :D  :D

David B

Too late David, I got there a long time ago :D .

Both Wash Cants are now shaped, and I've simulated the joins in the sections they were made in with an Xacto and a pencil :

Wash Cant 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I didn't even know there was such a thing...  and you've done them beautifully.  So in real life, they were made is sections?   Interesting.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lots of things to learn. Loved the scraper u improvised. All in all, a master´s job - piece by piece.

Thanks Druxey. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Mark, Druxey and Vivian.

Bolsters

The Bolsters fit forward of the Hawse Holes. Their function is to prevent the Hawse Cable from chafing on the upper cheek and planking around the holes.

I'm only fitting the port side, as there is no planking around the starboard hawse. Making one of these was enough of a mission - it took me 3 1/2 hours to shape :huh:  :

Bolster 002.jpg

I made an error when I cut the hawse holes. I angled them forward too far, and consequently the only way to fit the bolsters to make them look somewhere near correct was to cut them into the upper cheek a bit :

Bolster 003.jpg

The fitted bolster. Some tidying up will be done when the glue is dry :

Bolster 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny