HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Great pictures, Danny. Take off my hat for your work. Every detail is fantastic.

Thanks again John, Vivian, Michael, John and Greg - your comments are always appreciated.

Bridle Port

Looking through the above pics I realized I'd forgotten to mention the Bridle Port. This port is the foremost one, and is quite a bit different to the gunports. It's main function was to assist in attaching the tackle to the anchor when it broke the water so it could be stowed. An ancillary function was to provide ventilation below the foredeck which houses the galley, the manger and in some ships was used as a recovery area for sick or injured crew.

Unlike the gunports the bridle port is hinged horizontally. It's construction was otherwise similar to the gunport :

Bridle Port 001.jpg

Bridle Port 002.jpg

Bridle Port 003.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Wonderful built model Danny,

I admire this build from beginning on, it is giving so much Inspiration and samples of most skilled handcraft work, especialy knowing what all is behind in the interior of the hull with its decks. Thanks so much for sharing this very extensive and well organized log.

I like very much that you did not use paint on the ship, the composition of Wood tones speaks for ist own...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Sweet bridle port Danny.  The full pics probably don't do her justice as one can't zoom in, but wow!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dan,

the pictures of your fly are just outstanding. Really really beautyful

Christian

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Lovely work indeed Danny . Your ship modeling skills and knowledge of the workings of each part of the ship are inspiring .  

Brilliant as always, Danny ... I truly didn't realize that a "gun-port" turned inwards like that !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks once again for the kind comments Tony, Nils, Spyglass, Hjalmar, Mark, David, Christian, Remco and Steve, and all the "Likes". Always appreciated.

Mast Cheeks

The Foremast and Mainmast both have Cheeks fitted to each side of the mast. These extend from the top of the Hounds to about 3/4 of the way to the deck. The Hounds are incorporated in them at their top - something I'd always puzzled about in previous builds, but now have become clear :) .

First the mast had to be narrowed to accommodate them, all the way to the top :

Cheeks 001.jpg

Cheeks 002.jpg

Next I tapered the cheeks to the same width as the flats on the mast, half-rounded them to the bottom of the hounds, and cut in the scarf joints for the Bibs. As the bibs are thinner than the hounds the scarf joints were cut in to their thickness :

Cheeks 003.jpg

The bottom of the cheeks were shaped into a "duckbill", with the inner face scalloped out for the last couple of millimetres :

Cheeks 005.jpg

Cheeks 004.jpg

Filler pieces were then glued to the masthead and tapered :

Cheeks 006.jpg

A tenon for the Cap was cut into the top of masthead at an angle. In real practice this was done to prevent the very heavy cap from tilting down at the fore end :

Cheeks 007.jpg

Cheeks 009.jpg

The lower Woolding Bands were made from thin card. They measure 0.8mm wide by 0.3mm thick. The wooldings will be added when my next stock of rigging thread arrives, and an upper band will finish them off :

Cheeks 010.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Bibs

The Bibs were made next and fitted. As with everything else on the masts the sizes are all proportional to the mainmast :

Bibs 001.jpg

The Mizzen Mast has a very abbreviated pair of Cheeks :

Bibs 002.jpg

Trestle Trees

The Trestle Trees took quite a bit of working out to get them spaced correctly. Unlike the earlier volumes of TFFM there are almost no detailed scale drawings of the various parts needed for the masts, and everything has to be calculated :

Trestle Trees.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Superlative work!  Your artistic use of the different wood species according to their color is masterful.

Best Regards,

And thank you too Geoff and Jason.

Cross Trees

The Cross Trees are the Top supports that run athwartships. All the work in cutting the rebates was done on the Byrnes saw, and the tapers were done on the disc sander :

Cross Trees 001.jpg

Cross Trees 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

Though your working environment might have diminished in size, your work certainly does not suffer from it. Outstanding results on the mast and trees!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

And thank you Harvey, David, Tony, Cog and Ben.

did you buy the mast plans from Admiralty models?

Good question - I don't remember if I did or not :huh:  . I'll find out tomorrow when I pay a visit to my daughter's place where some of my stuff still is, but I hope I did :D .

EDIT - Yes I did :)

Bolsters

The Bolsters sit atop the trestletrees and ease the angles of the Shrouds and Forestays over them to prevent chafing :

Bolsters.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Hello Danny, I just wanted to thank you for this whole thread, it is the best resource that can be found regarding the Swan class (TFFM stands apart, of course). Your photodocumentation is impeccable and I find it most helpful. Wish you many happy days shaping your Vulture, it is a gem.

1st build - HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current build - HMS Fly (Victory/Amati)

Dan, Just got caught up on your build. A true artisan you are my friend :). BTW...is there anything finer than a sharp chisel, I think not ;)

Kind Regards, Bill 

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Very neat and clean finish to those cross-trees Danny.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks vths, Bill, Remco (yes, I found the Masting Plans :) ), Pat and Julian.

Starboard Side Black Strake

I've fitted the "black" strake and the one above it to the Port side so that the Chains have something to attach to. I've also finished treenailing both :

Black Strake Port Side 001.jpg

Black Strake Port Side 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Geoff and E&T.

Ironwork in the Head

A few more eyebolts needed to be fitted in the Head for the Jib rigging. One of these (or rather two) are the Bookmin Lashing Ringbolts, which are triangular in shape :

Boomkin Ringbolt.jpg

Spanshackle Ring

Another interesting piece of ironwork is the Spanshackle Ring, of which I am only fitting the port side one. This "ring" is a square section piece of iron which supports the Fish Davit when it is in use. I drilled and filed the centre out from flat sheet - the lower section has a dogleg around the eyebolt which needed rounding off :

Spanshackle Ring.jpg

Spanshackle Ring 001.jpg

Fish Davit Cleats

And finally I made the two Fish Davit Cleats which support the davits at the railing :

Fish Davit Cleats 001.jpg

Fish Davit Cleats 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny