HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Exquisite Dan!!  are those bolts properly threaded?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Every time I stop by your build I'm amazed - such precision on such a small piece! Absolutely spectacular!

The capstan plans for my San Felipe show the bars placed on the deck around the capstan...I'm guessing to keep them out of the way until needed. Was this common practice on the British ships as well, or just something unique to Spanish ships or maybe just the manufacturer of the plans?

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Now that is one very nice finish Danny; thanks for the feedback.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks John, Druxey, lamarvalley, TJ, Michael, Sherry, Pat and Laman - much appreciated :) .

where are the retaining pins for the capstan bars?

I'll leave those for Remco :D .

are those bolts properly threaded?

Of course they are ;)  . Just kidding :D .

The capstan plans for my San Felipe show the bars placed on the deck around the capstan...I'm guessing to keep them out of the way until needed. Was this common practice on the British ships as well, or just something unique to Spanish ships or maybe just the manufacturer of the plans?

Common to all Sherry - They take up a LOT of space when in use.

Can you link the upper deck and lower deck capstans together for heavy lifting?

Yes, they are linked for that purpose.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Very, very impressive!!!!!.....and always look forward to future updates.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

where are the retaining pins for the capstan bars?

I'll leave those for Remco :D .

OK, I took Druxey's challenge after all - here's a prototype REPRESENTATION of a Bar Pin and "Chain" which took me about half an hour to make. I used 0.2mm (blackened) copper wire wrapped around a 0.25mm drill bit for the "chain", and made two "eyebolts" from the same wire :

Bar Pins 001.jpg

Bar Pins 002.jpg

And here's an approximation of how it looks by the naked eye :

Bar Pins 003.jpg

I'm going to do another one using a simplified method (no actual Pin and Bolt, just one curled wire). If I can get it down to 5 minutes each and they look OK I'll do all 15. Stay tuned :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thank you John and Brian.

Here's #2 - about 10 minutes worth, including blackening. It's the one on the left in pic 4 and looks even better than #1, so I'm going ahead with all 15. Am I going crazy ??? :D :D  :

Bar Pins 004.jpg

Bar Pins 005.jpg

Bar Pins 006.jpg

Bar Pins 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I guess Remco will now have to "catch up" to you?  I think you rose to the "Druxey Challenge" and exceeded it . post-76-0-33090400-1366613753.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice Danny!

I guess Remco will now have to "catch up" to you?  I think you rose to the "Druxey Challenge" and exceeded it . attachicon.gifalarenverse.gif

We'll see when I get there, my capstans 1.0 definitely don't have retaining pins. I think Danny is pushing me now to make 2.0 ;)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thanks Mark, John, Joe, lamarvalley (you got a name? ;)  ), Grant and Remco.

I think Danny is pushing me now to make 2.0 ;)

No need for a remake Remco, just drill a few more holes in the ones you've already made :D .

Here's the final results - they look pretty realistic in real life. One tip - Birchwood Casey Brass Black doesn't work on copper (I should have remembered this). It turns black all right, but it flakes off straight away leaving a mess behind :(  . I'll have to get some Liver of Sulphur for future work with copper :

Bar Pins 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Nice work Danny, they look good.  You may have opened yourself up here mate; what's the next challenge going to be :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looks super nice, Danny.

I think the next order of business is to design the "Druxey Challenge Cup".   Maybe something at 1:48?   :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Pat, Mark and Crackers.

You may have opened yourself up here mate; what's the next challenge going to be?

Compared to the bar pins, quite an easy one - the Capstan Pawls. These prevent the capstan from turning back, they were very simple things that were pushed into place with the foot of the sailor nearest to them. Later ships had more complex arrangements.

These were made from a piece of 1/16" square brass, filed down to 1/32" for most of their length - they step up to full height on the end that locks into the capstan whelps. They are held in place with a 3/4" bolt. Note how one pawl locks into place whilst the other is almost halfway across a whelp - this gave them two bites with a smaller rotation between.

I've also made the two for the upper capstan with these.

Pawls 001.jpg

Pawls 002.jpg

That concludes the work on the capstans for now - all that's left is to fit them, which I'll do after I've placed the Guns in this area (I'm still waiting on the barrels before I can start on them).

Next job will be the Rudder and associated works.

Cheers, Danny

Caramba!!!! I only expected the pins in their holes, not their chains as well, Dan. You've exceeded the challenge; which was only in jest, by the way! Well done. Now, what fiendish detail can I think of?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

:o I have only one word that comes to mind: waw! Is this even possible? Well done Danny... The chains were there so that the bar pins would not be lost, right?

Will you make a working rudder assembly? (trying to contribute to the "druxey challenge cup" :D )

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Thanks Joe, Druxey, Adeline, reckon54 and Geoff.

You've exceeded the challenge; which was only in jest, by the way!

I knew that Druxey ;):D  .

The chains were there so that the bar pins would not be lost, right?

Correct :) .

Will you make a working rudder assembly?

Yes Adeline - it's not very difficult to do, apart from the rigging to the ship's wheel.

Rudder

The rudder is made from two main pieces of timber which are "tabled" together. I've made a simplified joint, there should be alternating tables in each piece but as only one side is seen at a time the difference isn't noticeable :

Main Piece 001.jpg

Main Piece 002.jpg

Main Piece 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Danny, you continue to astound me. My hat is off, and I bow to your mastery!! Keep the pics coming please...I am trying to soak some of that skill through the computer into my own fingers!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Very nicely done Danny.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

NICE :)

it's amazing how wood obeys u , keep up the good work

He trains it specially! Wait until you see his performing wood worms!!! :D :D :D