HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

I'm speechless, Danny, amazing detail work on those chainpumps, I could almost imagine some exhausted sailors turning those shafts B)  Even more amazing is your precise wood details on the capstans, it's amazing how you make such intricate parts using tough ebony wood  :) 

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks for dropping in, and the nice comments Robbyn, Michael, John, mhegazi, Grant and Aldo - much appreciated.

Horror! Shock!  Danny took a short cut with the rudder tabling! :P  :P  :P

Not the first, and not the last I guess John :D .

Wait until you see his performing wood worms!!! :D :D :D

Not to mention my trained Spiders when it comes to Rigging :D :D .

it's amazing how you make such intricate parts using tough ebony wood  :)

It just takes practice Aldo - not to mention a few thousand $$$ worth of tools ;)  .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi all,

Work continues on the Rudder. I've cut the tabled and glued-together Main Piece and Blade to the required angle and shape. I've also glued on the Backing Piece and Sole Piece, tapered the assembly from top (14") to bottom (10") and cut in the recesses for the Pintles :

Main Piece 004.jpg

Main Piece 005.jpg

Main Piece 007.jpg

Main Piece 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thanks once again John :) .

The rudder is "Bearded" on it's inner edge to allow it to turn without binding. I marked out the limits of the bearding and sanded the angles in with a cork block and sanding stick :

Bearding 001.jpg

Bearding 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Very crisp and precise joinery there Danny!

PS. I sent you a PM the other day and its still showing as unread.

Thanks Brian and Grant.

PS. I sent you a PM the other day and its still showing as unread.

Better send it again Grant - it's not in my Inbox :huh:  .

Cheers, Danny

Very nice work once again Danny,  very clean and well defined edges and bevels.  Now, when you finish with those spiders, reckon they'd survive air transport down my way :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

as long as they dont bite the pilots . remember anything here in oz is poisonois :huh:

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Thanks for dropping in Pat and Adrieke.

when you finish with those spiders, reckon they'd survive air transport down my way :)

Hmm, maybe I'd better send them down to you Pat - I won't be needing them for quite a while, and they're getting out of practice :

Spiders.jpg

Spiders 002.jpg

I could do a better job on shrouds and ratlines than them now :D :D :D

Cheers, Danny

Pintles

I made the rudder Pintles from 1.6mm thick brass sheet. First I milled most of the inside, leaving a thin piece at the bottom for strength while the rest of the work was carried out :

Pintles 006.jpg

Then I cut each piece from the main sheet, sanded the angle at the fore end on the disc sander and drilled the holes for the Pins and bolts :

Pintles 007.jpg

I filed out the thin centre and silver-soldered in the Pins :

Pintles 003.jpg

Pintles 005.jpg

Next job was to mill the rebates for the straps and recess the fore ends. For a Mill Cutter I ground the point of a 1.6mm drill flat - perfect tiny cutter (note - I only left a very short piece protruding from the chuck so it wouldn't snap off). The last two pics are of a dry-fitted pintle :

Pintles 011.jpg

Pintles 001.jpg

Pintles 002.jpg

Then I lightly blackened them to simulate bronze :

Pintles 010.jpg

And finally another dry-fit :

Pintles 012.jpg

Pintles 013.jpg

Pintles 014.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Beautiful work on the pintles. Those arachnids sure are out of practice - may need to send them out for an apprenticeship!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thank you very much David, Wayne and Greg.

Interesting approach to making these

Actually Greg, I came up with the idea when I looked at what sizes of brass stock I had (and I didn't have the opportunity to get anything else yesterday). Everything was too small apart from a big chunk of 20mm x 4mm that I'd scrounged up somewhere. So I decided to mill it to the right size and it escalated from there :D .

Cheers, Danny

Nice work on the rudders and the pintles came out especially nice.  Did you heat treat the bit after trimming it flat on the end?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Next job was to mill the rebates for the straps and recess the fore ends.

Rebates for pintles? Holycow, I've not seen this before! Is this usually done on the real thang? I can't recall seeing modellers doing this. Seems like a reasonable real-world thing to do though.

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Okay, I have it all figured out now Danny. I am in need of your mailing address. I will just mail you my Syren kit, and watch you build her...that way I will be assured of getting the result I want :P:D

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thank you Mark, Brian, John, Druxey, Grant, Randy, Russell, Robbyn, Ben, Geoff and Sherry :) .

Did you heat treat the bit after trimming it flat on the end?

No, should I have :blink:  ?

Rebates for pintles? Holycow, I've not seen this before! Is this usually done on the real thang?

Yes Brian, at least on the Swan Class ships. It created a little less drag in a straight line.

Waht have you been giving the rigging spiders to drink?  Obviously it's far too strong!

Bundy and Coke - maybe you're right :D .

I will just mail you my Syren kit, and watch you build her...that way I will be assured of getting the result I want :P:D

Whoah Back Robbyn - I already have three other ships I need to finish for someone else :huh::D  .

you could work in my blasksmith shop any time :)

Nah - sounds too much like hard work. Appreciate the offer though Geoff :D .

Cheers, Danny

Spectacle Plate

The Spectacle Plate holds the two chains to the rudder. These prevented the total loss of the rudder if it became accidentally unshipped, and could also be used as emergency steering if there was damage to the ships wheel etc.

I made this in similar fashion to the Pintles from one piece. Note the thinning of the eyes :

Sprctacle Plate 001.jpg

Sprctacle Plate 004.jpg

Sprctacle Plate 002.jpg

I actually had to make two of these - I measured the wrong part of the rudder the first time and finished up 3mm too short

goof.gif . It took me about 2 hours to mill, drill and file each one.

I also made another lower Pintle - if you look back at one of the previous pics where I dry-fitted the blackened pintles you'll notice that the lowest one is a little short. That's now fixed.

Cheers, Danny

Wow Danny,

That look tiny….

But again a great job.

I like the idea about the slave into the rudder.

You came up by your self with that or have you seen it some where?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Danny,

I asked about the heat treating since I thought the grinding would cause the bit to lose its temper and not stay sharp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)