HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks John, Grant, Mark, Tom, Michael, Martin, Brian, Frank, Christian, Allan and Juergen :) . Sorry for the late reply - I've been away for a few days.

do you have a special jig for moving the frame over the saw when it is being rebated ?

Do you have any sequence photos of cutting the material and then the groove, (or vice versa?)

Martin and Allan - no Rocket Science involved here ;)  . I simply cut the rebate on the outside (away from the fence) edge of a wider piece of "squared up" stock FIRST, and then cut off the frame to width. Both those steps are very easily done that way, but virtually IMPOSSIBLE to do if you try and cut the rebate into an already sized piece.

The rebates for the corners were simply done with an Xacto knife.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Ingenious modifications for the forcastle bulkheads and excellent fix on the rabbets, Danny, truly inspiring :)

Thanks too for sharing your technique on making the frames for the stern lights, I will be eagerly taking notes watching you work on those tricky bits.

Just a small question on the stern frames/timbers if I may:

Are all the stern timbers/frames identical in shape and their apparent differences in height levels and fore/aft positions is just due to the shape of the wing transom?

Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Are all the stern timbers/frames identical in shape and their apparent differences in height levels and fore/aft positions is just due to the shape of the wing transom?

Hi Aldo. I doubt if ANY pieces are the same shape/length because of the differences in the converging angles  :huh:  - theoretically they should be the same (or a mirror) for a particular piece on the port/starboard side.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thank you Jeff :) .

Stern Lights Completing

I've completed all five Stern Lights - FINALLY :huh:  . The munions are VERY fragile - I lost count of how many I had to do more than once as quite a few either let go or broke in several places when I was doing "final adjustments".

I made a jig from three pieces of thin planking glued to a piece of flat pine for each Light. A piece of thin card established one angle first, and then I transferred each edge length using dividers.

Stern Lights Completing 001.jpg

Stern Lights Completing 005.jpg

The central Light being test-fitted. The small gaps between the Counter Timbers and the Light Frames will disappear when all the trims have been added :

Stern Lights Completing 004.jpg

The five completed Lights. Note the small brass (non-working) hinges that will attach the port and centre lights in the open position. These have been epoxied to the frames :

Stern Lights Completing 006.jpg

Stern Lights Completing 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Fabulous Danny, though I would have expected a man of your skills to make some working hinges! :P:D

Beautiful work Danny, working hinges or not.  Still beautiful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the kind words David, John, Brian, Sjors, Grant, Robbyn and Mark. Those "hinges" are only 2mm wide - a bit beyond my old eyes to get them to actually pivot :huh::D  . Although they WILL be doing something - the Lights will be relying on a good epoxy bond to them to stay attached.

Brian, I'm not sure exactly what type of Acrylic this stuff is. It seems to resist scratching a fair bit better than Perspex, although other qualities are very similar.

Cheers, Danny

Rudder Head Trunk

The head of the rudder is enclosed by a Trunk - removable timber panelling. I made the pieces up in similar fashion to the bulkhead panelling. I've found it easier to make each piece, glue it in place and then move on to fashioning the next one or two :

Rudder Head Trunk 001.jpg

I remade the front piece (see below). I'd forgotten to allow for the height of the Lockers which flank the trunk :

Rudder Head Trunk 002.jpg

Rudder Head Trunk 003.jpg

Rudder Head Trunk 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Nice work.  The light behind the rudder head.. would that have been a deadlight on the Vulture?  I've seen some ships with deadlights and others without.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Marvelous work on the rudder trunk and stern lights, Danny  :) 

Wow! at the scale you're working on, those rabbets on the lights must be a fraction of a millimeter in size, amazing!  B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks for looking in John, Janos, Mark, Brian and Aldo :) .

does it go all the way up the the deckhead?

It will fit hard under the Rudder Head Partners John. Some trimming has been allowed for.

would that have been a deadlight on the Vulture?

I don't know Mark. TFFM is a little vague in this area.

at the scale you're working on, those rabbets on the lights must be a fraction of a millimeter in size

Aldo, they are indeed - 0.4mm x 0.5mm to be exact.

Cheers, Danny

I've made and fitted the final three pieces of the Rudder Head Trunk. Some slight sanding still needs to be done to get the joints flush :

Rudder Head Trunk 006.jpg

Rudder Head Trunk 007.jpg

Rudder Head Trunk 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Great Cabin Lockers

There is a bank of Lockers under the stern lights in the great cabin. I've fitted a triangular shaped piece for the hinges, and made the panelled piece for the front :

Locker 001.jpg

Locker 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Aldo.

Completing Great Cabin

To complete the work in the Great Cabin the Lockers received two lids and a couple of fill-in pieces :

Stern Lights Completing 008.jpg

Next I fitted four planks to the Lower and Upper Inner Counters :

Stern Lights Completing 010.jpg

A Sill finished off the top of the planking, and Cover Timbers were fitted between the Lights over the framing :

Stern Lights Completing 011.jpg

Stern Lights Completing 012.jpg

Cheers, Danny

incredibly wonderful work Danny. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Your posts continue to be a delight Danny!    I hope making the fine cabinetry on the tiniest parts was as much a joy as it is for us to see the photos.
Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Really nice to watch these tiny details being developed and fitted Danny.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Danny,

I you sure you make this your self?

You don't have a store in the neighbourhood who sell that kind of stuff????? :D  :D

Great job !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Danny,

Nice work; your eyes are obviously not that old yet and you've a steady hand. Deservedly, you've received many accolades for your work on the stern lights. I notice the frames are not just butt-joined, but lap-joined. I don't know whether to burst out in laughter, or break down and cry.

Cheers, Tom

Just caught up on your build Danny. Fantastic, absolutely fantastic, she's going to be a first class model when she's finished.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire