HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks once again Brian, Mark, Grant, Allan, Michael, Sjors, Tom and Caroline - much appreciated.

Rudder Head Partners

To enable the planking surrounding the rudder head to be fixed down there is a Partner either side of it, joined by a short piece aft. This was rebated into each side piece :

Rudder Head Partners 001.jpg

Rudder Head Partners 002.jpg

Rudder Head Partners 003.jpg

Rudder Head Partners 004.jpg

There will be a half-beam fitted either side from the partners to the quarterdeck clamps. The quarterdeck (and forecastle deck) do not have the complex Carlings and Ledges of the lower decks on this ship.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

All these little details do bring the build to life. It is amazing the things you think to add!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks Robbyn, but I'm not really "thinking" of the actual details, just putting into practice what is in the TFFM books ;) .

Transom Iron Knees

The corners of the transom are strengthened with Iron Knees. I made these in similar fashion to the other ones described earlier in my build log. They are "cast" (bent) to go under the half-beam. A Filler Piece has been fitted to take the place of a Lodging Knee :

Transom Iron Knees 001.jpg

Here are the aforementioned "half-beams" :

Transom Iron Knees 002.jpg

Transom Iron Knees 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny, don't sell yourself short. You say you are only doing what is in the books....I call bull! The books may talk about it all, but you are the one designing, and creating (very skilfully and beautifully) all those little parts. It takes a special person to bring all those to reality and life and you are doing an excellent job of it! Take credit for your art, you deserve it!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Danny your bringing what is in the book to life in awesome detail :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Once again a big thank you for all the kind comments Randy, Robbyn, Brian, Grant, Adrieke and Jeff :) .

Gun Carriage Brackets

Time now to move on to a very enjoyable part of this build - the Guns. I STILL haven't received my gun barrels yet, but at least I can make up the Carriages while I'm waiting.

I'm only making half of the sixteen guns that Vulture carried, as there will be none fitted on the unplanked side.

The first parts to be made are the Brackets, or side pieces. I cut the rebates for the Axletrees on the Byrnes saw using spacers to get them all exact. The hind axletree is a fair bit wider than the fore one, but it required a smaller rebate as it fits up differently.

I used the mill to cut the steps into the top edge. I made up an "L" shaped piece of scrap timber slightly thinner than the pieces to be milled. This was CA glued to one edge of the vise to make setting up for each piece a breeze :

Gun Carriages 001.jpg

Gun Carriages 002.jpg

One of the Brackets after milling. I cut the "ogee" shape into the topmost step with my Xacto knife. The rounded section on the bottom was milled in with a home-made cutter ground from an old 10mm drill bit :

Gun Carriages 003.jpg

Gun Carriages.jpg

Cheers, Danny

They should do Brian :).

Gun Barrels

Ironic isn't it? I'd no sooner had a whinge earlier today about not receiving my Gun Barrels YET when .... they turn up :D .

Worth the wait - the casting is superb. Every detail, including the George III Crest and the Touch-hole. They need a little bit of cleaning up, there's a very small amount of mold flash and the surface is in need of a good scrubbing - should look very realistic :) .

I ordered (and paid for) 8 barrels - I received 13, along with a pack of Trunion Capsquares which are also very nicely detailed :) .

Barrels 001.jpg

Barrels 002.jpg

Barrels 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Great work, Danny, as always!

I must have missed it - where are the barrels bought from?

Janos

Thanks Janos. I bought them from shipmodels.com.ua in Ukraine. It took over three months for delivery, and they weren't cheap :huh:  .

Sjors, I'm making them SHINY BLACK :D :

Barrels 004.jpg

Barrels 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Fitting Capsquares

Lovely cannons, Dan. I notice he leaves on the casting vents. How difficult were they to grind and blacken?

Thanks Greg. They took a bit of careful work to get off, first with the edge of my disc sander and then with a needle file. They came to me "as cast" with no extra work done. Blackening was no problem at all once they had been pickled in vinegar and wirebrushed with the Dremel.

I used the mill to drill the holes for the Capsquares - can't beat it for that kind of precision, every cap fits perfectly :) . Unfortunately, the caps are slightly overscale (1mm too long), but I can live with that :

Trunion Caps 001.jpg

Trunion Caps 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Nice work on the brackets.  Lovely cannon barrels also.  I'm still considering the French guns they offer.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for looking in again Janos, Brian, Sjors, Grant, Mark and Ian.

Janos, the guns are cast in brass, not bronze. I've never used pewter so far, so I don't know anything about blackening it.

Drilling the Bolt Holes

Apart from the already drilled capsquare holes there are another 8 holes to drill in each bracket for various bolts and eyebolts. To assure precision placement of each hole I made a jig to hold the bracket from some pine board and scrap planking. I set the mill to the first hole, drilled all 16 of them and then reset for the second hole etc. There are three 0.5mm holes for the Breeching and Training Tackle eyebolts, and two 0.7mm holes for the Bed Bolt and Transom Bolt :

Drilling Bolt Holes 002.jpg

Drilling Bolt Holes 003.jpg

The jig was also used to accurately scribe the join between the upper and lower halves of the brackets using the back (blunt) edge of an Xacto. A pair of stops aligned the steel rule

Drilling Bolt Holes 004.jpg

Drilling Bolt Holes 005.jpg:

I used the same setup as for the capsquare holes to drill the three 0.7mm holes for the bracket bolts :

Drilling Bolt Holes 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny, I have been absent for somer time on holiday and it has been a pleasure reading the updates to your impressive build.  As others have said, those canon are the 'ants pants' and you have detailed them very nicely - great work. Does the manufacturer create these to a 'scale' (i.e. 1:48) or are they available in various sizes and you select that closest to scale?  these are very nice castings and would love to get copies in 1:64 and/or 1:72 if he has them.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you Adrieke and Pat.

Does the manufacturer create these to a 'scale' (i.e. 1:48) or are they available in various sizes and you select that closest to scale?

Pat, it looks like they are nearly all 1:48. They are made in various sizes from 35mm to 80 mm, at least for English cannons. It would depend on the calibre of the particular gun you need, but unless you want 32pndrs I think the smallest would be too big for your scales. I used 41mm barrels which are perfect for 1:48 scale 6pndrs.

Here's the link to the "Artillery" page of the website : Artillery Click on "Cannon" to see them all.

Cheers, Danny

Axletrees

The Hind Axletree should have had a pair of rebates where it fits up to the bracket, but I decided not to show that feature as it would look identical to the way I have rebated them anyway. It was much easier to simply enlarge the rebates in the brackets.

I had a few attempts at turning the stub axles into the trees. As I had to use a 4-jaw chuck it wasn't all that successful, at least time-wise (it took to long to accurately set them up). I came up with the idea of drilling the ends of the trees with the mill and inserting two lengths of 2mm dowel (these were trimmed down off the longer lengths after gluing) - perfect results and it didn't take very long at all :) . There is a small step on the inboard end of each axle to prevent the Truck from fouling the bracket. I cut these on the Byrnes saw :

Hind Axletrees 001.jpg

Hind Axletrees 002.jpg

Hind Axletrees 005.jpg

The Fore Axletrees are a different size and shape to the hind ones. I made them in similar fashion, once again using the saw to cut the spacing rebate :

Fore Axletrees 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Great idea on the milling and round stock. I've done the 4-jaw chuck bit and it's a pain to set up for each axle. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Danny good morning

just caught up on yr build - lovely work - well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Beautiful work on the stern details as well as the gun carriages, Danny, and those gun barrels are 100% eye candy, really cool B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks Mark, Kevin, Aldo and Druxey.

Carriage Assembly Jig

I've made up a jig to assemble the carriages, I can do four at a time.

Carriage Jig 001.jpg

The one in the foreground is completed (for now), three are glued together in the jig, and one is being set up :

Carriage Jig 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

You're the Henry Ford of ship modelers, Danny. Now I'm wondering why I didn't extend my jig to mass produce the carriages instead of assembling one at a time. Next time!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

you are a master in jig making Danny :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided