HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Lovely work on the guns and their rigging, Danny, I love the "weathering effect" you gave to tone down the color of the breech ropes :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Dan,

Been following your build since inception. This is my first comment. She looks incredibly beautiful in every respect! I am envious of your cannon. I an doing mine now, as well as working on the capstans. I find the gun carriages a bugger. I have a jig but still so much fiddly work with so many pieces. Following your method on the capstans, so far so good!

Your build log has helped me immensely! A big thank you!

Bryan

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48

Thank you Robbyn and Mark.

Hardware

The final details of the guns are the various items of hardware - the five Loops for the Training Tackles, the eight Bracket and Transom Bolts, and the two Breeching Ring/eyebolt assemblies.

The breeching rings and eyebolts were the most difficult parts to make, as they are joined together but silver-soldered independently so they actually work. :

attachicon.gifHardware 001.jpg

attachicon.gifHardware 002.jpg

attachicon.gifHardware 003.jpg

attachicon.gifHardware 004.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

hello
I think these are the guns that came to you from Odessa. I was worried about the delivery of these trunks. I judge the photos and I hope you enjoyed the artillery.
Alex

She will be fully rigged Kevin.

:cheers: Danny

Hi Danny

with "fully rigged", will you also be presenting a full set of sails ? I can hardly wait to see more....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Dan for taking the time and effort~!  Part of the reason I started my own "Vulture" is your build-log (the main reason is Mr. Antscherl's bools).  When the server crashed, I was very disappointed. 

My Vulture is on hold this year as I need to finish several other projects.  In spite to that, I have completed the building slip, the various squares, the stem, keel and capstan, the special clamps (cramps) and roughed out the framing stock (domestic pear). 

BTW, do you have another project underway?  Thanks again and keep up the excellent work~!

Duffer in Middletown, CT (USA)

Thanks very much Allan, John, Aldo, Bryan, Alex, Nils and Duffer.

I look forward to many months (years) of following your build

Yep, YEARS Allan :D .

Bryan - thank you and you're most welcome :) .

Alex - yes they are your gun barrels, and they turned out just as good as I expected they would :) .

will you also be presenting a full set of sails ?

Perhaps just one or two sails Nils - I don't want to detract TOO much from the woodwork and rigging.

do you have another project underway?

Welcome to my Log Duffer, and I'm looking forward to following yours when you get started on your Vulture.

At the moment I have three other ships (two Victorys and a Mississippi Riverboat) to finish off for a couple of families who have lost their ship builder fathers - that will take a while.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Forecastle Knees

I haven't managed to do a great deal lately - too much "bill-paying work" getting in the way :( .

I've fitted all the Forecastle deck knees, both Hanging and Lodging. Note that there is no hanging knee on beam #5 as it is directly above the first gunport.

I only need to make the Foremast Partner and the forecastle will be ready for planking :

Knees 001.jpg

Knees 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Wonderful work Danny, its been  while since i was active due to my elbow, but its great to be back in the community again.

Børge

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: 

Wow! those lodging and hanging knees look great Danny, it's frightening just to imagine how to perfectly fit the lodging knees to the deckbeams, hanging knees and ship's frames, and you've executed all these perfectly!  :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

And thanks go to Borge, Brian, Sjors, David, John and Aldo. Also all those that used the "Like" button - much appreciated.

it's frightening just to imagine how to perfectly fit the lodging knees to the deckbeams, hanging knees and ship's frames, and you've executed all these perfectly!

It's not as difficult as it looks Aldo. Thin card templates to get the shape approximately right, and then a little finessing with a sanding stick and/or Xacto knife.

On another note, the Rigging Line I ordered from Chuck a bit over a week ago arrived today - WOW, great stuff. I thought the line I'd used on my guns was reasonably good, but it's not even in the same ball-park :D .

This is Chuck's (three-strand) 0.2mm line for the Tackles compared to 2-strand Guterman thread :

Chuck's Rope 001.jpg

And 0.63mm for the Breeching :

Chuck's Rope 002.jpg

Chuck's Rope 003.jpg

Needless to say, the guns will be re-rigged.

Cheers, Danny

Thank you John, Corkbottle and Randy.

Catheads

The Catheads are a piece of work to make and fit. I used some 12" (scale) thick Swiss Pear to shape the curvature beneath the deck into them:

Catheads 002.jpg

Catheads 003.jpg

A word of warning to others building one of these ships. DO NOT install Forecastle Beam #2 before fitting the Catheads - it's impossible to get the catheads underneath the beam when it has been glued in. I had to remove the beam, which meant totally destroying it. I will fit a new beam when all is completed :

Catheads 007.jpg

A lot of careful marking, cutting and filing was needed to get the cathead through the bulwark. The first Lodging Knee also needs cutting/filing through on an angle :

Catheads 006.jpg

Catheads 009.jpg

The Cat Tail is notched beneath Beams 2 and 3 :

Catheads 008.jpg

Catheads 010.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Wow Danny, those catheads sure look complicated when you show all the different steps in fitting them, but as usual great work and thanks for the warning for all us future Swan builders.

Ben

I am with Sjors - Wow.  

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks for the tip on using the card templates, Danny, I'll give them a try, splendid work on the catheads, they look great! :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Nicely done Danny,

Shane about the beam but as Sherry said, your past repairs/re-dos suggest only good things ahead. :)

Thanks for the compliments and the votes of confidence in my ability Sherry, Ben, John, Adam, Dave, Aldo, Grant, Druxey and Brian :) .

Seems you were only thinking ten steps ahead when you installed the beam and the cathead was eleven steps ahead!

Yeah John - just a minor annoyance. There wasn't any warning in TFFM Vol 2, and I notice that Greg didn't even fit the catheads on his model so there weren't any progress pics in Vol 3 to alert me either :( .

did you use a razor saw to notch out the beam ?

A razor saw, Xacto knife and square needle file Brian.

Cheers, Danny

Removing a Beam

Just a small "tutorial" on how I safely removed the beam. This method can be applied in quite a variety of situations - I did a similar thing when I snapped off the Knee of the Head a while ago (see HERE).

Step 1. I cut the beam in half so that I could work on each end independently.

Step 2. I drilled a series of holes close to the edge of the beam on both sides. This helps the Isopropyl Alcohol to penetrate into the glued joints more efficiently :

Beam Removal 001.jpg

Beam Removal 002.jpg

Step 3.  Using a narrowed Xacto chisel pointed blade I removed most of the material from the middle of the beam :

Beam Removal 003.jpg

Beam Removal 005.jpg

Step 4.  A #11 Xacto blade was used to cut along the glue joint. Plenty of Isopropyl was applied before and during this step to completely soften the glue. The pieces just about fall out by themselves with a minimum of cutting. The knife blade is used more as a lever than a cutting instrument :

Beam Removal 005.jpg

The result after a bit of cleaning up with a blade. A final sanding can be done after about 1/2 an hour when the Isopropyl has completely dried out :

Beam Removal 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Catheads Fitted

Both Catheads have now been fitted - only "dry" for the moment. I will cut the sheave holes and fit the sheaves off the ship before gluing them in. I also need to make the Cathead Caps, more about them shortly.

I surprised myself with how accurately they finished up - not even a fraction of a millimetre difference from the centre line or the baseboard :) :

Catheads 013.jpg

Catheads 014.jpg

The notch for beam #2, and the beam dry-fitted :

Catheads 011.jpg

Catheads 012.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Beautiful work on the beams, Danny, thanks too for the tutorial on how to remove them safely :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build: