HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Congratulations on the finish Dan it must feel great to move on to the next project satisfied that you did your best. 

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Danny,

Thanks again. Following this build is like getting a masters degree in ship building. Actually, it's more like a PHD. Bravo!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks Dan for all that you've given us.  Yes, the model is fantastic, but what I especially appreciate is your reconstruction of the build log after the MSW website went down.  That work makes this build all the more special. Once again, thank you!

Edited by wyzwyk

• 4 weeks later...

That was such a fantastic log to follow,  not only detailed work but detailed description and an incredible final project.

Congratulations on one HELL of a beautiful ship - amazing!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thank you Michael, John, wyzwyk and Adam.

Just when you think you're finished ..... along comes Pud for another nibble on the Spritsail Yard :(:D :

Spritsail Yard Repair 001.jpg

Spritsail Yard Repair 003.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Binnacle

When I said I was finished, not quite. The Binnacle isn't a part of the main section of TFFM, it's hidden away in the Appendix. Easy to miss :D .

I knocked it up in a couple of hours. No finish has been applied yet :

Binnacle 002.jpg

Binnacle 003.jpg

Binnacle 004.jpg

Binnacle 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Not done and it still takes "Best in Show".  Congrats Danny. :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Not done and it still takes "Best in Show"

How did you know that Mark??? EDIT - ah, I just found the post that Grant put up earlier. Thanks Mark and Grant :)

Yep, Vulture took out the Members Choice trophy, their equivalent to "Best in Show" at the Canberra Model Shipwright's Society Show last weekend. She also came 2nd in People's Choice.

I'm pretty chuffed :D :

Trophy 002.jpg

I'm taking it to the Mid North Coast Maritime Museum at Port Macquarie later on today after I mount the Binnacle.

Cheers, Danny

Hey congrats Danny!  A well deserved honor. -- Since Pud helped as much as he could, are you thinking about bringing him to the museum as well?  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you George, E&T and Russell.

Still, Member's Choice isn't a bad consolation prize!!!

Actually, Member's Choice is rated higher than People's Choice as it's voted for by the guys who know what they are looking at. I know what you mean about the late entry number ;) .

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

I guess "pretty chuffed" is Aussie for pretty damned proud and happy. If it's not you should be!!!!!!!! As you know I loved this build, not only did you give me something to aspire to, but the technical aspects of what you've shown and the way in which you showed (taught) so many processes is priceless to me.

I can't wait to follow your next build.

Best of everything,

John

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Members choice is similar to modelers choice here. I think you would have taken along with best of show. Congratulates on a job well done.

David B

Thank you Brian, John, Janos and David :) .

Congratulations to you too Janos on taking out People's Choice. What was the other trophy you got? EDIT - Oh, I see now that I've looked at your post in Royal Caroline :blush:  .

Your carving really set the bow of Vulture off.

BTW - I had a great time too, more comments and conversations with the public and members alike than any other show I've been to :)

The finished binnacle, complete with two compasses, a lantern and it's chimney :

Binnacle 009.jpg

Well, Vulture has now gone to her final home - I delivered her to the Museum this morning. I forgot to take a pic of the installed Binnacle, so you'll have to take my word for it that it fits :D.

Cheers, Danny

congrats Danny,

to your beautiful "HMS Vulture" and the well deserved prize at the show

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congrats Dan for both, for the honor and for finishing a beautyful model

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hey congrats Danny!  A well deserved honor. -- Since Pud helped as much as he could, are you thinking about bringing him to the museum as well?  :D

Congratulations - a great result for your wonderful project!

Hi Danny,

Congratulations on the accolades!!! Would have taken People's Choice if they had allocated your voting number earlier. You missed the first half of Saturday's votes. Still, Member's Choice isn't a bad consolation prize!!! ;)

Regards,

Russell

Ditto from me as well.

The binnacle is the 'icing' mate on a wonderful ship.

Well done!

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

such wonderful work.......and well deserved!    she's a great build Danny......congratz to you!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Congratulations.  I hope the museum realizes what a prize it has as well.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi Danny,

I was just pointed to your absolutely amazing build this weekend…as you say, better late than never.   

I can’t thank you enough for your effort…the depth of craftsmanship along with the details you share is exactly what new builders like me need to improve our techniques (an inspiration to be sure)   :)  

And congratulations on the award  :)

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hi Danny,

congrats for the honor, and for finishing model! The binnacle looks very fine, nad I'm sure that it fits :D

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

• 4 weeks later...
Dan,

What is the length and height of the fully rigged Swan?  I looked but could not find them to include the full masting including bowsprit. If you have the actual measurements from your Vulture that would help.

Thanks

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Sorry Richard, I don't remember. I had it written down when I gave the measurements to the guy who made the case but I've thrown out the piece of paper. It'll take me a while to find out - I'll have to visit the museum to measure it, and I don't have any plans to do so in the near future as it's a fair drive from my home.

Cheers, Danny