18th Century Longboat by Shaz (Robbyn) - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Joining the build here. I have been delaying my start as I was afraid of the rabbet. I have never needed to worry about this before but it is time for the plunge.

post-127-0-15588500-1369847393_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-40941900-1369847412_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-30529600-1369847424_thumb.jpg

Took the first move and beveled the edge as the instructions say...not without first sending a PM to Chuck for some guidance. Luckily he is a nice guy and answered my stupid questions.

post-127-0-83920800-1369847432_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-05921200-1369847444_thumb.jpg

Gave it a light sanding to remove any grooves from the chisel

post-127-0-34255900-1369847452_thumb.jpg

I then treated the pieces with wood conditioner. I like the little bit of color the conditioner brings out as compared to an unconditioned piece.

post-127-0-48026200-1369847458_thumb.jpg

I also used 320 grit paper to remove the burn marks from all the bulkheads and have conditioned them as well. I don't plan to stain my build, I really like the color of the natural wood, but I do like what the conditioner does to the wood, so I plan to continue using it on the other pieces as well.

post-127-0-77052100-1369847471_thumb.jpg

Now...time to add glue to the mix....

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn,

I will be watching this build with interest. I am preparing to build a longboat or pinace from scratch for my ship - so all pointers will be useful to me.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

I take this opportunity to wish you a good journey on your longboat.  With Chuck's design and your skills she should prove to be fabulous.  I'll pull up a chair.

Oh.....batten the hatches over there.  We've had some crazy weather the past two days and it's heading your way.

Stay safe.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Robbyn,

Before you get started in earnest, I would STRONGLY recommend drilling a small hole down the top of the stem piece and inserting a small treenail/down/peg.  Because of the way the grain runs, this part is very fragile and is prone to breaking off.  Option 2:  Glue a long piece of thread to it so you can find it when it breaks off.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Oh yeah/....Welcommen to the build.....

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I see there is sear available after Anja and Augie,

I just relax with my popcorn and watching you closely!

Enjoy your build and I have faith in you to bring this project to an good end.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Excellent Robbyn,  this one keeps popping up on my "that's cool" radar so will be fun to follow along with your build!!

I will grab a seat a few rows back from Augie,Anja and Sjors.  Not because I don't want front row, but from back here I can throw JuJu-Be's (the black ones) at them during down time B)

Good Luck (not that you need it I have seen your other work) and Enjoy!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

If you decide not to take Chuck S. advise, once you break off the top of the stem (and you probably will), put it in the petri dish and leave it there until it is time to start rigging.  Enjoy the build.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Chuck S. Thank you for that reminder...I remember reading about that in your log. Unfortunately, I forgot about that and have already started installing the bulkheads...But I think in the morning after I have given everything a chance to dry well I will try to drill and put a piece of wire down the length to hopefully give it the extra strength it needs.

Thanks to everyone, for jumping over from the SF, and thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. It warms my heart to know I haven't let you all down by taking a break for a bit from the SF and regrouping and recharging before I go back to finish her up.

Augie, weather is frightful here today...nasty storms, lots of rain, some hail, flash floods, and tornado warnings. Lord knows the farmers need the rain desperately, but this type of stuff has me rather concerned and keeping a close eye on the sky. I have never lived outside of town, so there will be no hearing tornado sirens out here on the farm...gotta be honest, it has me a bit nervous...

I have a question...Do I have to paint the hull white??? Is there any rule that says I can't leave it the natural wood if I want to? I have no problem with the red, but totally dislike the look of the white hull. If something says I have to paint it, then can I paint it some other color?

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

You know me Sherry, the more the merrier, and the better I stay on task!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I personally hate to paint models but IMHO the white really makes the hull pop, especially with the red cap and blue decoration.  You will also find that after sanding the wood gets fairly thin in places.  A few thin coats of paint cover up that problem.  But you have plenty of time to make that decision.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

It all depends on what it is you are after as far as the final product.

Ultimately you are the one who has to look at it all day so do it as you like and as you see fit ;)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

You're the Captain, Robbyn.  Historical accuracy is one thing but your preferences carry a lot of weight.  I think some of the most gorgeous models use no paint at all.....just natural wood finishes.

Take a look at the Syren by Roger and then compare it to ----- mine.  I tried to follow Chuck's instructions as best I could and I think she looks fine.  BUT --- if could I produce crisp woodwork like Roger I would have gone that route.  Also, most of the time we see Rattlesnake with a white lower hull.  But JPett is trying to lay his planking so he can leave it natural.

So think about it.  And keep the TV tuned to local weather.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Robbyn,

I wondered where you and the crowd went...  since I'm late to the party as usual, I go stand in the back and wait for someone to get up to get popcorn then grab their chair.  :P

Seriously, I'm looking forward to following along.  And I promise not to steal anyone's seat.

BTW, we've been having heavy rains and winds for the last week and they've been moving east... so you guys will probably have some more coming your way because it's still rainy and windy here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Okay, late again! Dang, this time zone difference makes life hard at times. But I'm here now Robbyn, propping up the bar with Mark in the corner and waiting for Sjors to get up for more popcorn! Hope you enjoy the build - I'm sure you'll do an excellent job with it.

What kind of wood conditioner are you using Robbyn?

Will watch your progress on this project with great interest.

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Any chairs left, or am I (as usual) one of the guys popping in too late, and have to stand against the back wall?

With respect to painting: no rules whatsoever, just preferences.

So if you want - for some unknown reason - to paint her pink , or yellow, or whatever interesting colour - we will raise our eyebrows, and conclude that it is you build, and yours only :)

Speaking for myself: I am very much attracted to the colourscheme of this boat. So, I would paint her if I had to choose.

Jan

What kind of wood conditioner are you using Robbyn?

Will watch your progress on this project with great interest.

Cheers, Harley

Harley, I just picked up a can of Minwax wood conditioner at the hardware store...was told by Chuck and others that is works like a charm; especially, on wood like basswood. It keeps the wood from looking blotchy when you add paint or stain.

Damn, shoulda set up a ticket booth. I could have paid for my next kit! :piratetongueor4:

I do tend to draw a bit of a crowd for some reason. post-127-0-07080500-1369918671.gif

I think it is my unsinkable Molly Brown attitude. When I screw up...which I do often...I just tear it apart and do it again and don't allow those setbacks to ruin my fun. And I LOVE the learning curve here...keeps me working on things. Even my SF which is on hold waiting for a morope order is not going to get me down. I will redo the rigging and get her finished before the summer is over!!!

Popcorn?

Who said there would be popcorn ?

Jan

Jan, you will find wherever Sjors is, there is always popcorn. And when Mark is around as well, the bar is usually open!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn-  I think you'll like the Morope.  I got the idea from Frank (riverboat) and have used it on the thicker lines for my build.  The black is nice but the beige is really nice in appearance.  It stretches quite a bit so I pre-stretch it.   Even with that it still stretches more but it's not a problem --- in fact I think it helps maintain proper tension.

One caution-  make sure you apply some thin CA to where you are going to cut it or it will unravel at the speed of light. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

First, good morning everyone post-127-0-00053100-1369918466.gif

Attached the false keel and the stem, then filed and sanded some more on the rabbet to rid it of excess glue and such.

post-127-0-08274500-1369918166_thumb.jpg

Got all the bulkheads installed last night took my time to ensure each one was level, straight, and square by using some cut up dowel to hold the spacing.

Woke up this morning and it all looks good to me.

post-127-0-21516600-1369918181_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-39284600-1369918189_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-16214100-1369918195_thumb.jpg

Now is time to do a bit of fairing to the bulkhead edges.  Oh yes, and I need to add a pin to the stem piece to stabilize and reinforce it, then it is on to planking Yippee, happy dance time post-127-0-48206100-1369918495.gif

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Augie...how do you suggest I stretch the rope?  I was not aware that would be an issue with morope. And thanks for the ca tip.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station