• 2 months later...

Great job, William, on those figurehead people.  I had a fun time doing them at 1:96.  Very hard to get them to strike the right attitude.  Also, beautiful work on the stern galleries.  Looking forward to seeing the 138 balusters. 

All the best,

Ed

Just finished the stern on my own build and thought it looked well but seeing yours makes mine look rubbish ,but i still ain,t redoing it ..Your carving skills are to be envied , by me anyway , tried my hand at it and finished up buying the brass docors .

checked out your stern shihawk and its looks fine, commercial parts are nearly always a let down but you have cleaned them up super, as for the carving you must use the correct material, I purchased some boxwood and like you had a go, took a couple of attempts to get the hang of it and although not perfect they look ok, here`s my version of the right hand strong man and the view through a macro lens shows all the errors but when looking with the naked eye he`s acceptable.

post-4391-0-68496800-1415651161_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great job, William, on those figurehead people.  I had a fun time doing them at 1:96.  Very hard to get them to strike the right attitude.  Also, beautiful work on the stern galleries.  Looking forward to seeing the 138 balusters. 

All the best,

Ed

your right Ed thats a lot of balusters to carve, you are one of the few who counted them right, heller got it wrong and the great longridge also miscounted unless there`s been a change somewhere down the line

cheers all for the comments.

OK on with the build, started the second planking on the Vic had to replace one plank but apart from that all going fine, at this point decided to try in my split cannon, as you can see by the photo there is no need to up the detail on the carriage , i`ve looked from all angles and happy with it

post-4391-0-50736300-1417206228_thumb.jpg

post-4391-0-90544400-1417206240_thumb.jpg

post-4391-0-09358600-1417206250_thumb.jpg

post-4391-0-38605700-1417206259_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I take it that the split cannon is so that you can add them later so that they are not in the way while you complete other tasks.

The stern details are very fine work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I take it that the split cannon is so that you can add them later so that they are not in the way while you complete other tasks.

The stern details are very fine work.

Michael

correct Michael, some kits have full decks all through the ship and it seems a shame to block them out with dummy wall cannons, i did a tutorial on the AL Victory to make dummy cannons out of the material supplied for the dummy walls and the dummy cannons, here`s the link  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2704-dummy-cannons-by-william-butler/#entry73179

• 8 months later...

Had a break and starting to delve back into it !!! Started to tackle the ships wales ! found this very tricky on a natural finish ship. I’m using two types on wood to create the striped pattern, the difficulty lies in the fact that the stripes don’t follow the wales, so ended up splicing some of the anchor stock shaped wales together ( the ones that overlap the striped pattern), one photo shows one centre wale spliced and the other shows the same wale fitted .

post-4391-0-23474200-1440525242_thumb.jpg

post-4391-0-88188700-1440525255_thumb.jpg

Edited by williamDB

William - 

Excellent marquetry work with the contrasting woods.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

I'm in total agreement with Dan.. Excellent marquetry.  But I'm going to add.. beyond beautiful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...

simple tutorial on how i made my stock shape wales, i cut a piece 6mm ply to use for my jig, now this jig is not pretty but its accurate, the ply is something like 6inch square. first i set the jig to cut the length, then i cut the long taper and last the short one. the beauty in this method is that you dont have to reset your saw, you just cut it in order cut one cut two and three, when you check your finish piece you have to make sure that both ends are exactly the same depth, if there not leave the last cut until you finished all the others and then reset the saw for the last cut

post-4391-0-87697900-1479144526.jpg

post-4391-0-61659000-1479144550.jpg

post-4391-0-79754500-1479144565.jpg

post-4391-0-50974900-1479144579_thumb.jpg

post-4391-0-12341800-1479144588.jpg

Very ingenious method of making those pieces, William.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very clever and effective jig, William!

I've made a few jigs, and none of them could be called 'pretty' . . . but they work!

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

William, just found your log and your Victory, wow!  I love the idea of the using the woods to show the Nelson chequer cirrectly, but your execution is just amazing.  Definitely want to keep following your progress and your great ideas.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

cheers Jason,, i looked at a lot of Victory models and couldn`t find one in natural wood where the stripes split down the wales as they should, so i took it on, its a bit of a pain and only a few that see it will know the accomplishment...

whilst building the Victory i`m building bounty`s launch as a break along the way.... here`s a few photos

post-4391-0-94583500-1485028987.jpg

post-4391-0-61873300-1485029013.jpg

post-4391-0-97041900-1485029034.jpg