Confederacy by Jaxboat - Model Shipways

Here is the start of my first ever build log on MSW.

I have been working on Confederacy ever since the model was available. Initially my time was limited. My main objective for this build is first and foremost to do this beautiful model justice. Other objectives include: improving my plan reading and execution skils, improving my planking skills and having a great time while working on the kit. I have finished only one model, Bob Hunt's HMS Halifax, a wonderful little kit. Like Confederacy, she is an Admiralty Model. I think this type of model is great for starting out on because it teaches you a lot about the the structure of a wooden ship in this case of the late 18th Century. Here are some opening shots of carcass construction

post-2738-0-99962100-1370372891_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-14087900-1370372893_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-00073200-1370372894_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-95123800-1370372894_thumb.jpg

Best

Jaxboat

Edited by Jaxboat

Looks like a really good start.   Have fun with it and dont hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.  :cheers: 

Chuck

Here are some more pics taken last week. I am just starting the wales planking:post-2738-0-16139100-1370374034_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-16139100-1370374034_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-04399800-1370374035_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-60946200-1370374035_thumb.jpg

I am making good use of the famous Chuck Passaro Plank bender. I wish I had all my money back from the many plank bending gadgets I have tried . Simple is best. While my bow planking is lined up nicely from a symmetry standpoint, I wonder if I am a tad too high up on the stem.

Jaxboat

Edited by Jaxboat

Here are some shots of the stern. Obviously, I have not trimmed planks down to the outside edge of the lower lower counter yet. I welcome any comments on the shape of the stern filler pieces. I am not sure I shaped them correctly :huh: post-2738-0-25704200-1370374767_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-09066700-1370374768_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-71657400-1370374768_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-31295700-1370374769_thumb.jpg. In hindsight, it would have been better to carve blocks. It would take longer but would be easier for me to visualize. I also need to adjust the transom horizontal pieces again. I seem to struggle even though I have used a pattern. :(

Looking forward to more posting. Thanks to Anja and Chuck for helping this computer challenged Luddite figure out how to set up the log. Also thanks to Russ and others who encouraged me too start the log :D

Best

Jaxboat 

:cheers:

Edited by Jaxboat

Hi Mike, I too am glad you started a log. Sure looks like you are off to a good start. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Rusty,

Working on the Wales planking and getting the row ports set up.  It's always interesting that when you do something repetitious like putting in the row ports that you get better at it as you go. My reaction is usually to go back and redo the initial ones B) . Your build log is very helpful to me as is Trussbens. Haven't had time to visit all of the others but I will. More pictures soon (I hope!)

Jaxboat :piratebo5:

Looks like you're off to a good start. I'm holding off on mine until I get my Pegasus finished (I'm guessing another year or so for that), so I can concentrate exclusively on the Confed. It has all the hallmarks of a masterfully executed kit. Did you get the canon and figurehead replacements from Chuck?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

HI Andy,

Yes, I did get the figure head and cannons from Chuck. They are awesome ;) . The model kit is outstanding with excellent instructions and design. :)  When you build: do take Chuck's suggestion of temporary strips between the bulkhead formers horns. They are extremely fragile and break very easily :( .

I love my Amati keel holder. If you decide to use something similar leave off the keel pieces. A building board is a better way for this large heavy model.model. Getting the deck centered is challenging as has been mentioned elsewhere :( . It was the only part of the build where I was tempted to use salty language :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4: . It has been a bucket load of fun to build this ship so far :D

Jaxboat

Hi Jaxboat and congrats on starting the build log of your Confederacy.

I have a couple of comments if you don't mind, first is not to use your amati keel clamper but make a full length keel holder, she is a long hull and can warp while you get the planking on, the keel clamp only holds in two places, much better to hold the entire keel so the is no chance of it warping.

Second is take your time with the stern framing, I have a had a few issues with stuff there, see my log for some, better to take the time and get it right now and not have to pull it all apart in 6 months time like I had to.

It looks from your pic that you need to fair bulkhead 8 more so the planks naturally taper into the counter planks, unless its just the photo angle, make sure that the counter has the right shape compared to the plans, I had to do this and you can see what I had to do to get that shape correct.

It's really great to see your work, looks really good to me! Keep posting photos as I'm on hiatus working on my ECHO and would like to watch your progress.

Ben

Edited by Trussben

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Ben

Sorry I missed your post :( . Yes, I have been moving right alongI have finished port side wales planking. IN hindsight I wished I blended the golden oak with something a tad lighter. I made use of Greg and Druxey's black shoe dye technique. The stuff is dead flat an startling deep black.. awesome! Still need to clean up gunports in some places. Starboard side is about 3/4 completed on wales planking. I also need to steel wool hull and make sure stain is uniform. Next big step is to repair stern which suffered some breakage.  I think it will be challenging to repair but what the heck. Here are some pics. I have included my shipyard helpers. They don't do much (no opposable thumbs :P  :P ) but they look pretty. ^_^

Planking seems endless but having lots of fun and learning along the way.

Best

Jaxboat B)

post-2738-0-75466900-1380640860_thumb.jpg post-2738-0-75466900-1380640860_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-75466900-1380640860_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-87905800-1380640861_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-53974500-1380640862.jpgpost-2738-0-62326400-1380640864.jpgpost-2738-0-65377700-1380640865.jpgpost-2738-0-68041700-1380640866_thumb.jpgpost-2738-0-63253300-1380640867.jpgpost-2738-0-05272900-1380640869_thumb.jpg

post-2738-0-55419600-1380640863.jpg

Edited by Jaxboat

Hi Jax,

Looking good there, I hear you about the amount of planking, she is a big beast, wait until you get to the lower hull planking - thats a whole heap of fun :D  :P

Enjoy the journey.

ben

Personally I think it looks ok. I think it will be a nice contrast if you plan on leaving the planks below the wale a natural colour. Keep at 'er and you'll be done planking that football field before you know it ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hey Jax!  I apologize but somehow I never saw your log!

Looking good --- and you are quite far along.  I'll be following from here out.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Here is the port side wales planking pretty much done. Still need some finishing on the gunports. I used shoe dye for the lower wales and Admiralty Paint dull black topside. The Admiralty finish is beautiful (flow and leveling were excellent for a water borne acrylic) but the gloss is a little higher than I wanted :huh: . I rubbed on a thin coat of beeswax on the lower wales which made them even more jet and gave them a nice low angle sheen.I am now working on the Starboard side wales planking then I will take the plunge on the lower planking. Have I said this is a beautifully designed model by CP and tons of fun to work on even for a Weeblo like me! ^_^

Best

Jaxboat B)

Edited by Jaxboat

Well done Jax!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I agree! Very nice. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 months later...

Here art some more shots. I did the fancy molding using Boxwood from Jeff. I was really pleased at how it turned out. The PE scrappers work extremely well,

I feel the ship is too glossy and will eventually use dull cote or equivalent. Would be interested in a WB equivalent. ' Still lots to finish up or correct with row and gun ports.

post-2738-0-77406200-1388155846_thumb.jpg

post-2738-0-44658400-1388155847_thumb.jpg

I think she's looking great!  If that little bit of shine bothers you don't be afraid to try the dullcoat.  I found it about 1/2 way through my Syren build and it can do wonders.  But you may not need it.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

If you want to get rid of the shine I often use steel wool -just gently rub the hull with it until you get the finish you want.. be ready with a vacuum cleaner as the steel wool sheds as you use it

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild