post-570-0-55003700-1361050855_thumb.jpg

The Frigate Naiad was published by Seawatch Books in September 2012. I am starting this topic to capture reviews, questions or comments on the book. I will also use this space to post any updates or corrections to the content. I am sure there will be some, but hopefully they will be minor.

The content of the book is entirely different than the build log on this site. It is very oriented toward how-to-do-it subjects, whereas the build log is more of a day by day progress update.

Please feel free to add comments here. I will be glad to address questions as well.

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by EdT

Ed,

I just started reading this book yesterday and finished the first two chapters. I will post any comments I have after I finish.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

The Naiad Frigate – Addendum 1

I will be posting addenda to The Naiad Frigate – Volume I when important corrections are needed or there is value in additional information. This is the first of these.

Text correction:

92, column 2, paragraph 1: “having the transoms” should read “having the fashion pieces”

Drawing corrections:

Discard pattern sheet for Frame 1F. There is no Frame 1F. The framing drawings are all correct. This sheet was created in error.

Replace patterns for the following frames:

Frame DF A (toptimber siding note incorrect) use:Naiad 60 Pattern DF A.pdf

Frame 3A (joints corrected) use:Naiad 60 Pattern 3A.pdf

I would like to thank Jeff Hayes of Hobby mill for pointing out these drawing discrepancies. Jeff is working on a framing package for Naiad and brought these to my attention during his very thorough review of the drawings in preparation of his bill of materials.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ed

Copyright 2013 Edward J Tosti

You're welcome, Martin. Volume II is progressing well. I am hoping to see it in print this year, but sometimes schedules are hard to predict. It is about half written, but of course I need to finish the model as well.

I hope you are finding Volume I useful.

Ed

Hi Ed, I can honestly say that i have read your book from cover to cover three times now, and am in the process of making your miniature Jorgensen style clamps and paring chisels. So thanks for showing us your inspirational build and of course the wonderful book (also thanks to Seawatch books)

Martin.

Edited by Mcdood

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

In response to questions on the content of the future Volume II, I have decide to attach a pdf of the outline of contents for that Volume, which is in progress at this time.  I have also attached a similar pdf showing the contents of Volume I.

Naiad Vol I Contents.pdf

Naiad Vol II Contents.pdf

The Volume I contents are taken directly from the published book chapter and sub-chapter headings.  Volume II contents are still in progress, but page 1 of the PDF is pretty well along.  Page 2 is more tentative and subject to revision.

Volume II covers much more diverse subject matter than the first volume.  It will take the model to completion.  To make room for detailed methods descriptions, pictures and diagrams, many of the processes that will be applied in multiple situations are described thoroughly, only when first used.  These “anchor” processes are denoted with *** in the pdfs.  When they are used later, only variations or special circumstances will be discussed.  This has reduced repetition and made room for more content.  This labelling will also permit easy reference to these basic processes from the table of contents.

I hope you find this helpful  I am very excited about Volume II and hope we can get it into print this year.  Of course that is uncertain at this point, since it depends on my finishing the model, the drawings and the writing of the book – not to mention the publishing process as well.

Thanks for your interest.

Ed

Copyright 2013 Edward J Tosti

Ed,

I would love to buy them, however, I do not want to be negative about the book, for Seawatch Books has some titles I would love to buy (including yours), but if I pay $70.- in the States, I'd pay at least another $70.- here before I get it in my hands. I've seen 5 titles I would like to by, each around $70.-

You can do the mathematics ... (I don't mean that they should be sold at a lower price, maybe publish them in Europe too ...)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Carl,

It is less serious than you suggest, but still....

Seawatch let us pay $25 for transport, and Dutch customs let you pay around 6% of the total value of the package (wihich is inclusing trasportation and insurance costs).

A book of $70, will therefore cost you (70+25)*(1.06) = $100.

I do hope Seawatch will go and find a European firm to import the books and sell them at a more compatible price....

Uitgeverij Van Wijnen import the book on Valkenisse by Napier, selling it for 89euro, but that is even ore than the price you have to pay by importiong it yourself.....

Jan

Ed,

Just got it and am thumbing my way through, Can you say orgasmic? Once I start reading it, I'm sure my head will explode.

I wanted it not so much for Naiad, but for the tips and techniques. I have this project involving a side-by-side build of 1800s French and English midship section, detailing construction techniques.

I think I might order another copy to keep in the library, because the first is sure to become a dog-eared, back-broken, annotated, mess.

God bless and keep, Ed. Don't know anybody I would rather give 2x the book revenue to.

Ciao. John

john,

Thank you for your comments and the book orders. Although the book and especially all the drawings and patterns are focused on Naiad, I had always intended it to be much more general with a strong emphasis on methods. As you have probably noticed, there are very few references to Naiad specific dimensions. These are provided on the drawings and other documents on the CD. This was intentional, to leave more room for process descriptions - including pictures of the steps - as well as to make the book more general. Of course. I also wanted to make space to discuss historical construction methods. I am very glad to hear that this is useful to you on your non-Naiad project.

Ed

Edited by EdT

I have just finished reading this book and wanted to post my comments. First off, overall the book is excellent, probably one of the best of this type I've seen so far. Color pictures would be nice but its not really a negative for me because the pictures are excellent. The first thing that struck me as I was reading was I felt as if the author was treating me like I knew nothing about scratch building. That's perfect! The detailed explanations for crafting the different parts and the extensive use of pictures to demonstrate techniques and methods of building is outstanding. The details usually also include specifying what tools to use. Thank you! That's exactly what I hope to see when I open one of these books. There is even a section on making some home made tools like clamps and files.

The included plans are excellent also. I was surprised at how large of a model the Naiad is at 1/60 scale. The book also includes a CD with templates. There is a lot of bang for the buck.

My opinion is that you can use the techniques described in the book to build any model. I highly recommend that you add it to your library.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I also want to add that there is a section on using CAD.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

The Naiad Frigate - Addendum 2

Printing Patterns

This is not a correction, but merely a note to emphasize the importance of printing the Naiad pattern sheets at ACTUAL SIZE.  This may seem obvious, but the Adobe software I use does not always default to actual size in the print dialog box.  It apparently opens at the last setting used.

To avoid the catastrophe of printing at the wrong scale, the attached pdf shows the correct printing settings on the two common Adobe applications and describes a method for checking the settings.

Addendum 2 .pdf

Ed

Edited by EdT

Hi Ed:

I recently borrowed a well-used copy of Volume 1 from a good friend, and I've already ordered my own copy - it's exactly what I need.  I started ship modeling about a year ago and have completed a couple of POB kits.  My goal is to complete a POF version of the Dunbrody, and your book will help me understand the techniques I need to master and the proper way to use my tools.

Frank

Ed, just to let you know. A complete selection of your clamps (all of them, plus some taken from Remco) has been made. The marking gauge (in boxwood) has also been made. Building board has been started and I trust to be able to commence the actual building by the beginning of next month. I am of course aware that I won't need volume II for some time, but I can't wait to have it in my hands.

Congratulations and many thanks for your contribution to the ship model community and keep going af fast as you can!

Salvatore

Edited by Smac

Jeff, thank you for the very nice review of the book.

Frank, I hope the book will be helpful to you. I believe that most of the content is applicable to many levels and types of modelling - at least that was my intention.

Salvatore, I hope all the things you have made from the book will prove helpful and I wish you well on your project. I hope we can see it on MSW.

Ed

Edited by EdT

No problem Ed, it was a good read. So much so that I placed my order for the Naiad framing package. Hopefully I will be able to get a start on it in the fall or sooner.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Ed, just to let you know. A complete selection of your clamps (all of them, plus some taken from Remco) has been made. The marking gauge (in boxwood) has also been made. Building board has been started and I trust to be able to commence the actual building by the beginning of next month. I am of course aware that I won't need volume II for some time, but I can't wait to have it in my hands.

Congratulations and many thanks for your contribution to the ship model community and keep going af fast as you can!

Salvatore

Hope to see your build on here Salvatore. I plan to build the Naiad also.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Ed, just got volume 1 in the mail. Was cutting the grass out front when the mail gal came by and shouted 'hey John, got something too big for mailbox for you.'

Saw the package, heated up some steak fajitas, and opened it up. Ohhh ... !!! Poor front yard looks like a bad Mohawk haircut and the poor mower is still in the middle of it. Worth it. Prolly the best purchase I have made in many years and will be consulted, thumbed and annotated unmercifully. Thank you Ed.

Woof ! John

• 4 weeks later...

Ed, at last, actual construction has started after some rather long preparation (. I had drawing 2b plastified at a local stationery shop before pasting it on the building board and it works beautifully. However some problems have already arisen and I need the help of the Master. I might be wrong but I have the impression that the dimensions given in the book as regards the rising wood, i.e. 6 and half inches deep, do not seem to match the drawing (# 4), where it appears to be somewhat thicker. Am I misreading the drawing?

Many thanks Ed, patient and don't forget that it is you who started all this.

Salvatore

Edited by Smac

I also have long received a my copy of Volume 1 and will  to start its construction. Of course, this requires some preparation process, but it will soon be over.

Salvador, I want to see your work. I'll start my log, when I have the first part of the kiel, I hope to help the members of the Forum and the author of the book.

Salvatore,

The 6 1/2" dimension given on page 45 appears to be a typographic error. The rising wood, or deadwood should be 8 1/2" thick and 18 1/2" wide as is shown on the drawings and on the patterns for the frames. Sorry about the error. Generally, I would rely on the drawings in case of any discrepancy. Drawing 4 and specifically the Drawing Notes sheet for that drawing on the CD are correct. I for scantling dimensions like this one, the notes sheets are the best source.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. In spite of extensive checking I expect other discrepancies may arise as people start building. I will be happy to resolve any any of these when they arise.

Ed

Egen, you are correct.  There is quite a bit of preparation needed for a project like this.  Good luck with the build.

Ed