EdT

The Naiad Frigate by Ed Tosti

159 posts in this topic

I recently received my copies of Vol I and II of the Naiad books, and have just started studying the plans so that I can determine whether I go ahead and start the build or postpone it till I have better skills.

However, I am puzzled by the plan numbering, and just want to check that I do in fact have all the plans. It would be great if someone could provide a list of the plans and what they contain.

With volume 1 of the Naiad I have the following:

I sheet each of plans

1, 2, 2B, then 2 sheets of plan 3, and then 1 copy of 13A-D

With volume 2 I have:

1 sheet each of

Plans 5-12,  and plan 14.

I presume plan 13 from volume 1 is the plan 13 for the second volume.

My question is: am I missing plan sheets 2A and 4 or are there no plans with that numbering?

I haven't read through the volumes thoroughly yet, but I can't see any obvious listing of the plan sheets.

I'd be grateful for any advice. I've written to Bob and Cathy at Seawatch Books, but I'm posting here in case there's a simple answer.

Tony

Canute, EdT and Mike Y like this

Oops! After more careful going through the text, I think I've answered at least part of my question. It seems I am indeed missing plan 4 (the centreline structure drawing) which I now see is referenced as such in Volume 1 on page 19. I think two copies of plan 3 were sent by mistake instead of one copy each of plans 3 and 4.

However, I'd still like to know if there's a plan 2A, if anyone can help.

Thanks

Tony

mtaylor and Canute like this

Tony,

I am sorry for the confusion over the plans.  The drawings were all planned and numbered early on, before the books.  The inclusion of Drawing 13 in Volume I has caused some confusion.  The short answer is that there is no 2A.  The 2B was meant to identify this plan as the Base, or shipway drawing.  It does sound like Seawatch owes you a drawing 4, so I am sure Bob will send you one.  Let me know if this does not happen.  I have attached a list of the large printed drawings for your reference.  I posted this in an Addendum on this forum topic some time ago.  I suggest that you go back through this topic, download and print all the Addenda.  While most of these deal with minor corrections and clarifications, there is also other useful supplementary information.  There are 6 addenda for Volume I and 1 for Volume 2, all as printable pdfs.

Naiad Frigate Drawing Lists[1].pdf

Thank you for your interest in the books.  I hope you will decide to proceed with the project.

Ed

tkay11, Canute, mtaylor and 2 others like this

Ed, you're a marvel! Thanks so much for all the info. I'll collect all the addenda and have downloaded the list. I'll definitely start a log, though, because of house moving this summer, it may be some time before I can make my decision. In the meantime I'm planning very carefully!

Tony

mtaylor, Mike Y, Dubz and 2 others like this

Well my 2 books arrived today only took like 4 days or so then after having to wait so long it took me about the same time to open the package lol. First the shipping box then paper over the books then each book heat shrunk plastic lol

From oogling so far looks absolutely fantastic the files on the cd are stunning and the books themselves marvelous. if I have one small inky dinky let down was that the plans came folded in the books. folded plans for me are a pain to get creases out I kinda hoped there were pdfs of them on the Cd's that said I cant say anything bad abt the stuff I paid for it is well worth the Price.

mtaylor likes this

Oh and this will be a challenge ED as I will have to figure a way to cad the plans up so that I can enlarge them to 1/48th scale then alter them because I plan on a 1/48th scale half hull cutaway build and the exterior will be a partial plank so that whichever side you look at it there is the WOW factor.

So I will have to do a lot of creative engineering on this beasty

Spent 2 days going through vol 1 the drafting parts while at lunch at work.  Most baffles me but assume once i get drawing it will make sense. However i was able tof ind 2 of the 3 steele steele books only one cant seem to find online is the repository.  The one i gor last night had what i was looking for though and that was all the data for an east indiaman so i think tonight will break in the first volume with some actual drawing since the sheer plan part seems fairly straight forward